Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 AM

125 posts, read 218,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
To me, a great man is someone who is a great human being. I don't think Steve Jobs was a great human bring (or a terrible human being), from what I've heard about him.

World class entrepreneurs almost always are visionary, and I definitely agree Jobs was visionary. I respect Steve Jobs a lot for being the spiritual father of the smartphone, which is proving itself to be THE revolutionary device of the current era, regardless what manufacturer name is shown on the phone.

We're not talking about humanitarians here; from the dictionary:

"Noun. A person who has achieved importance or distinction in a field"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 06:46 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
Quote:
I respect Steve Jobs a lot for being the spiritual father of the smartphone
Speaking of fatherhood, what was up with him denying, in court, that he fathered a child out of wedlock, then later admitting the child was his?

Genius...yes, and marketeer extroadinaire...but dirtbag and egomaniac, all at the same time.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:18 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,189 times
Everyone makes mistakes. When a person dies, most people want to think of the positives, not the negatives.

Steve Jobs made up and reconciled with his daughter Lisa Brennan-Jobs years ago.

"Steve Jobs did eventually claim paternity for his out-of-wedlock daughter and opened his home to her during her teenage years. He sent her to Harvard where she realized a flair for writing and earned her chops at the Harvard Crimson and The Harvard Advocate."

The daughter has forgiven and accepted him as her father.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearsight View Post

Well, that same definition used the example "she's one of the theater's greats" in defining the term in context, meaning that a person is great in a particular field. If you want to say Steve Jobs was a great visionary, I agree 100%. If you want to say Steve Jobs was a great inventor, I mostly agree. (He was someone IMO who took existing ideas and made them a lot better through envisioning things most other people cannot, which in itself is an unusual quality.) If you want to say Steve Jobs was great in the field of consumer electronics, everyone would (or should) agree. However, if you want to say Steve Jobs was a great man, which in this case the field is being a human being, I don't agree.

Just because you kneel at the altar of Steve Jobs and have a point of view that is strongly colored by that doesn't mean everyone else has or should have that point of view.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:41 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,638 times
I hear his casket is going to be off-white with no visible hinges. Rounded corners, of course.

The pallbearers will have to be sure they don't grip it the wrong way or it may drop.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:02 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
If you're going to start a thread about a man who's just passed, you could at least spell his name right.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 PM

7 posts, read 5,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you're going to start a thread about a man who's just passed, you could at least spell his name right.
Sorry. In my haste to make this thread, I didn't see my error till it was too late. Sucks that we can't edit thread titles.

Quote:
To me, a great man is someone who is a great human being. I don't think Steve Jobs was a great human bring (or a terrible human being), from what I've heard about him.
I'd really like to know exactly what "you've heard" about Jobs that makes you so adament about him NOT being a great man. The term Man & Human Being can be used in different ways, as I'm sure you know.

But in my and MANY other people's overwhelming opinion, Steve Jobs IS a great man.

P.S. If you notice this account is different from the 1st post, this account is an old account I just found out about today. I just forgot to sign out of this one and use my 107 one.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
The iCasket?

Spoiler

Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
The iCasket?
Hahahahahahaha

Old 10-06-2011, 07:11 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearsight View Post

Every revolutionary is an egomaniac, it's almost a requirement! You HAVE to believe you can do things BETTER, FASTER, MORE EFFICIENTLY, etc than anyone else ever could.

I just wonder if Jobs knew, when he resigned his CEO position at Apple, that his death was coming soon. Wouldn't you want to spend as much time with your family as possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones