Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 01:53 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times

Advertisements

On most devices with storage save for Apple, upon plugging the device in to your computer via USB, the computer treats it like a drive. On my Motorola Q8, one could transfer MP3 files or whatever to the phone this way in Explorer (Windows) or Nautilus (Ubuntu), and they would play on the phone normally.

I had an iPhone 3GS briefly, and although you could use the phone as a drive, files copied to the phone would not be usable on the phone itself. To actually use a file, you would have to sync it to the phone using iTunes. I **hate** iTunes.

For Android, is there any specific program/s you have to use to copy files from your computer to your phone (and back) for them to be usable on the phone? Or can you just, say, drag and drop files from your hard drive to your phone in Windows Explorer or do a "cp /home/user/file.ogg /media/android/file.ogg" in Linux?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 02:08 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Plug it in and it should work like any other removable drive.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:10 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
For Android, is there any specific program/s you have to use to copy files from your computer to your phone (and back) for them to be usable on the phone? Or can you just, say, drag and drop files from your hard drive to your phone in Windows Explorer or do a "cp /home/user/file.ogg /media/android/file.ogg" in Linux?
I usually use BlueTooth and something called "ES File Explorer" on Android. There's a bunch of programs to transfer files via USB also. And some androids (usually older ones) you just plug it in and it acts as a disk.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:09 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
All Droid phones show a a drive, not just "old"ones.
As Jason said....

Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
On most devices with storage save for Apple, upon plugging the device in to your computer via USB, the computer treats it like a drive. On my Motorola Q8, one could transfer MP3 files or whatever to the phone this way in Explorer (Windows) or Nautilus (Ubuntu), and they would play on the phone normally.

I had an iPhone 3GS briefly, and although you could use the phone as a drive, files copied to the phone would not be usable on the phone itself. To actually use a file, you would have to sync it to the phone using iTunes. I **hate** iTunes.

Just drag and drop. If it is a music file your music app should read it. pdf a pdf reader etc. To mannually open the file you could use a file explorer(if for some reason your player/app didn't see it) I use Es file explorer there are many other options that one came up first on the market for me.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:41 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
All Droid phones show a a drive, not just "old"ones.
As Jason said....
Apparently newer phones don't all support USB Mass Storage out of the box. They use MTP instead.

Shouldn't be an issue though.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:19 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Apparently newer phones don't all support USB Mass Storage out of the box. They use MTP instead.

Shouldn't be an issue though.
Only Nexus phones I believe.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Only Nexus phones I believe.
The Galaxy Nexus uses MTP.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Because neither of them have an SD Card slot.
All other Android phones support "USB MODE".

Old 12-25-2016, 10:08 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:

No. Now, on Windows 10 it will ask you if you want to copy the files to your phone in a way in which the files will play back on the device, and tell you that you could just copy the files, but there is no guarantee that the files will work correct.y. I always choose yes to that option just to be on the safe side. Although, I have never had an issue playing back music files copied from Windows 10 on an Android device before (when Windows 10 did not prompt me for this).

What you were experiencing with your iPhone is something known as Isolated Storage. This is a fancy way of saying that files are implicitly associated with an app, and that apps read their own files, and that files cannot be read by apps that did not create said files. File Management was different. This is why a Windows or Linux computer can see all of the files on your iPhone, and only certain apps could see certain files on an iOS device. I used to use Google Play Music to circumvent this on the iPhone 4S, and play back files directly in Google Play Music, or store them on Google and play back the files through the cloud. Dealing with iTunes got old quick.

If you still have AAC files from Apple without the DRM, you could use the Music Manager application to upload all of those up to GPM, and they would automatically sync with your Android device. For free. And save your USB port on your iPhone for more important things.

Last edited by goofy328; 12-25-2016 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones