Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 10:57 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

This week my phone has incurred a problem which is frustrating. My Blackberry Bold 9650 has been doing a thing where I am listening to music or doing web while I have nearly full power and suddenly it cuts off. Then it goes through the resetting process and when it comes up the battery shows up as drained. The thing I think triggers this is that I recent changed out a 2gb microSD card with music to an 8 gb microSD card that is nearly full with music. The thing is it did this more rarely before I even changed out the card.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 03:30 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,353,739 times
How old is the battery in your BB ?? I seriously doubt that changing the microSD card has anything to do with the issue. Might be time to consider getting a new battery. Keep in mind that most batteries will last about 2 years and some even less. Could be that the battery is give a false indication of actual remaining capacity.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:16 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
That phone came our around 2009 or so, thus Its likely the battery is toast in some fashion.
The actual cells might be somewhat ok but it sounds like the chip in the battery is not communicating with phone anymore. Hence the reasons you are going from 100%>0 so quickly.

Look into getting a new battery. The new microSD card was likely not the culprit. While an 8GB will definitely drain more juice from your battery than a 2GB, you shoud not be seeing such a sharp drop just from the card.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 PM

Ordered a new battery for the phone, after not being able to find one in a few stores here in DC. Thanks guys.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
I don't know what's up with blackberry and their batteries, but my last four phones have had issues. I just got a new one a couple of weeks ago, and noticed that some days when I'd wake up, even though the phone was plugged in all night, it wouldn't be charged.

Last friday, it was almost completely dead that morning. I plugged it into my car charger and got a message saying that my charging source wasn't providing enough power. I checked my charger on my other phone and it worked just fine.

So I finally pulled the battery out, put it back in and its been charging just fine since then.

Blackberry's have really become what seems to be a disposable phone. I don't buy new ones because I want them, they just don't last that long. I have to replace them at least twice a year. The trackpad and some keyboard buttons died on my last one, which was only a few months old. I still like them for certain things though.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM

I've had the new battery in for a week now and the problem seems to be resolved. Thanks again.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,353,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I've had the new battery in for a week now and the problem seems to be resolved. Thanks again.
Good to hear, that's what I thought would solve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones