Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times

Advertisements

To clarify, there are "feature" phones available (with Android OS) that do not require data plans. Check with you current carrier and specifically ask for available "feature" phones.

For instance, Verizon offers the Samsung Intensity III, Pantech Hotshot, LG Cosmos 2 that all have Android and are not considered "smart phones".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 09:43 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's reasonably priced, but not "cheap". I did just look it up and apparently T-Mobile won't let it use WiFi calling. That's a big negative.
Wifi calling? Not sure what you are talking about other than hotspot? TMobile has its own uma system that allows phones that have uma capabilities to use your own or any open wifi on WEP security as a cell site. Unfortunately no android that I know of uses uma.

uma phones are listed here

Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Next if you have any android and download a program such as skype into it then you can make wifi calls via skype while on any open or locked wifi that you have the password for and that would have nothing to do with TMobile since when on wifi, you are not going through their network.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
To clarify, there are "feature" phones available (with Android OS) that do not require data plans. Check with you current carrier and specifically ask for available "feature" phones.

For instance, Verizon offers the Samsung Intensity III, Pantech Hotshot, LG Cosmos 2 that all have Android and are not considered "smart phones".
Sigh. No. Just no.

None of those phones you listed run Android.

They're not considered smartphones because they're, well, not.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
My mistake. I thought they did, but after further review you are correct, they have a proprietary OS instead. Sorry about that.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Is there a cheap Android phone that can be bought that will work without a Data plan? Just want it for texting. I know we can get any old phone for that. I'm just curious about getting an Android phone and doing it. This is to finish the year on our T-mobile contract, and to replace the current broken Blackberry we use without a data plan now.
Just to add a couple of points....

There is an older post, maybe about three months, from a fairly knowledgeable participant who assures us that you CAN insist with a representative that you can and you will have their smartphone service without data. Good luck.

As for the data, there are two ways your smartphone will work with data. One is the default Network setting on the phone. That is using the service providers cell tower for voice/text/data. - OR - you can turn off the Network, somewhere within the phone settings and use WiFi. The option might/should/will be on the same settings page as Network. With network off and Wifi on then you will be able to access data ONLY when using a WiFi connection. Or you can have both OFF... the option you seem to prefer.

The cell service provider knows absolutely NOTHING about your use of WiFi. That's is between you, your smartphone, and the WiFi connection, which may be your WiFi router or your neighbors. Or Home Depot, or the Grocery, Starbucks, your hotel, or many other places offering WiFi access.

It's the same data, just optional methods of access.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
Your best bet is with T-Mobile. $30 monthly prepaid plan with 1500 minutes (and unlimited text), 30 MB of mobile data (that's almost nothing, and when it runs out, data is cut off, so no overages).

Their network is usually solid in cities (with some honestly kick-ass HSPA+ data speed), not too bad in suburbs (again, with great HSPA+ data speed--if you have a strong signal), and hit and miss in rural areas (with slower data than everyone else sometimes). Where it's good, it's really good. They have decent customer service, too.

T-Mobile basically lets you put any T-Mobile branded phone on any T-Mobile plan, be it contract or prepaid. All you need to do is put your T-Mobile SIM card in the T-Mobile brand phone of your choice. You can buy used mid-range to high-end phones off eBay, other online sources, or one of your local independent cell phone shops. T-Mobile also sells some OK-ish new Android phones intended for their prepaid service.

As far as specs go for your cheap Android phone, forget anything running version 2.2 or below. 2.3 or higher is acceptable (4.0 or 4.1 are best if you can get them), and try to find a model with as much RAM and internal storage as possible.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
What about not going with the big 3 and their contracts?

I use Consumer Cellular, which is month-by-month. I've got 50MB of data ($5/month) for "data emergencies" but I bet I could remove that and still use my smartphones. In fact, I'm almost sure I can, because they have ala-carte data at 25c per MB with no minimum purchase required.

I've got 350 shared minutes for 2 phones + 50MB of data for $35/month. I have no problem making calls on VoIP from home (except that they tend to drop out every 30 mins or so) or when I'm near a hotspot.

As for cheap androids; I got a refurbished HTC Nexus One from Amazon for $100 and a Pantech 8000 for about $80. Both are ok, the Nexus is better. They are both running 2.6 but I might flash a newer custom ROM to the Nexus. Probably not the Pantech.

I've been waiting for technology to make cell phones cheaper, and it's finally happened. My first cell back in 2003 cost about $40/month. Now I've got 2X the phones and probably 2-4X the functionality for $5 less per month than when I first went wireless. Of course, you can't cut your bills if you stay with the big 3.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I'm already in a contract with T-Mobile. I'm looking for a new phone for the year we have left on it.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 PM

633 posts, read 723,956 times
Yes well I'm using my samsung galaxy without a SIM card on it. I just use wifi on it to connect internet via wifi and use it as my Micro computer

And yes you can send and receive texts on any phone using yahoo messenger. That's what I do on my phone without phone subscription. Therefore no bills to pay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones