Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 PM

122 posts, read 171,799 times

Advertisements

As we all know the existing GSM network is not secure anymore, GSM attackers showed how they could listen in others' calls. This article gives us more information about how the law enforcement and attacker intercept our phone calls.

How can your calls be intercepted, possibly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM

354 posts, read 517,779 times
This is off topic but am i the only one bewildered that the guy demoing on the vid has pink long manicured nails?!!!!

Too bad the comments were disabled pretty sure coz people point that out lol. i think he is in the process of 'transforming' his gender. just saying. lol

Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
Back in the olden days, a simple scanner could tune into any cell phone call. Even an older TV which went up to channel 83 (UHF) and had a manual tuning knob (or button), as most TVs from the early '80s did, could be used, often just with rabbit ears for the antenna. However, you could hear only one side of the conversation, as the other was on a different frequency (full-duplex).

Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvalentine View Post
This is off topic but am i the only one bewildered that the guy demoing on the vid has pink long manicured nails?!!!!

Too bad the comments were disabled pretty sure coz people point that out lol. i think he is in the process of 'transforming' his gender. just saying. lol
No, you are not the only one, but it's beside the point. Actually, it's a girlish GSM hacker showing us how he can hack into the GSM network and that's the point.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Back in the olden days, a simple scanner could tune into any cell phone call. Even an older TV which went up to channel 83 (UHF) and had a manual tuning knob (or button), as most TVs from the early '80s did, could be used, often just with rabbit ears for the antenna. However, you could hear only one side of the conversation, as the other was on a different frequency (full-duplex).
That's interesting, but I am too young to see that kind of stuff. However in the early 1990s, I did hear strange voices when I call somebody using landline. In a few seconds I was connected to the one I am calling. Never figure out who's speaking, maybe the operator?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlanguide View Post
That's interesting, but I am too young to see that kind of stuff. However in the early 1990s, I did hear strange voices when I call somebody using landline. In a few seconds I was connected to the one I am calling. Never figure out who's speaking, maybe the operator?
You could do it until at least the late 1990's (and probably past then) around here. Scanners (in the U.S.) were required to have "gaps" in their coverage in the early 1990's as the result of an embarrassing interception of a congressman's conversation, but they were still technically capable of receiving cell phone signals and a defeat of the manufacturer-imposed "gaps" was quite easy for the electronically-inclined. And there was an abundant supply of older scanners and TV sets from the 1980's, which covered certain channels that were auctioned off to mobile phone companies.

Switching from analog to digital ended this, but even I remember my cell phone sometimes being on analog networks as late as 2005.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
You could do it until at least the late 1990's (and probably past then) around here. Scanners (in the U.S.) were required to have "gaps" in their coverage in the early 1990's as the result of an embarrassing interception of a congressman's conversation, but they were still technically capable of receiving cell phone signals and a defeat of the manufacturer-imposed "gaps" was quite easy for the electronically-inclined. And there was an abundant supply of older scanners and TV sets from the 1980's, which covered certain channels that were auctioned off to mobile phone companies.

Switching from analog to digital ended this, but even I remember my cell phone sometimes being on analog networks as late as 2005.
I would like to see them myself, we here hardly see any TV set even from the 1990's. I would get one from the 1980's if someday I travel to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones