U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM
 
15,921 posts, read 18,336,787 times
Reputation: 7660

Advertisements

Getting a mite ridiculous....

Quote:
According to the Wall Street Journal, the practice of carrying two cell phones of complimentary sizes is not unheard of: in Asia, women who carry big phones in their purse may carry secondary cellphones in their pockets.
Smartphone too big? Get a smaller phone for your smartphone | Ars Technica
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2013, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,881 posts, read 11,673,651 times
Reputation: 3940
tablet, mini tablet, nook or kindle would make more sense
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,838 posts, read 3,833,343 times
Reputation: 2785
In a way I guess this could make sense for a niche. If you had a simple phone/texting device that was a slave to a more expensive tablet that maybe you take to work or on trips but sometimes leave at home -- then the cheaper slave phone could be more of a throwaway device. Leave it in a cab or drop it in a puddle? No biggie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
 
2,892 posts, read 3,750,606 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
In a way I guess this could make sense for a niche. If you had a simple phone/texting device that was a slave to a more expensive tablet that maybe you take to work or on trips but sometimes leave at home -- then the cheaper slave phone could be more of a throwaway device. Leave it in a cab or drop it in a puddle? No biggie.
I believe the small phone/device connects to the larger device via bluetooth and uses it's phone service. The small device doesn't actually have phone service of its own.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,838 posts, read 3,833,343 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I believe the small phone/device connects to the larger device via bluetooth and uses it's phone service. The small device doesn't actually have phone service of its own.
If that's the case, then it makes no sense to me either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 02:59 PM
 
Location: 92037
4,630 posts, read 9,362,328 times
Reputation: 1946
dijkstra hit the nail on the head. It does connect via NFC>Bluetooth and best example would be the way a car's NAVI system with BT would work with a phone.
eg. on screen NAVI dialer sends the message to the phone to make the call
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM
 
2,892 posts, read 3,750,606 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
If that's the case, then it makes no sense to me either.
Yeah I agree, I mean what is the point. You then end up with a big device in your pocket and a small one you carry in your hand or what....put in another pocket? lol

I guess it wouldn't be as bad for women since most carry a purse but as a guy where am I supposed to carry all of these devices?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,274 posts, read 23,318,716 times
Reputation: 6335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Yeah I agree, I mean what is the point. You then end up with a big device in your pocket and a small one you carry in your hand or what....put in another pocket? lol

I guess it wouldn't be as bad for women since most carry a purse but as a guy where am I supposed to carry all of these devices?
No, the big phone would be in a purse, bag, backpack, etc. The whole point of the smaller phone is because the bigger phone is too large to comfortably fit in a pocket.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM
 
2,892 posts, read 3,750,606 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
No, the big phone would be in a purse, bag, backpack, etc. The whole point of the smaller phone is because the bigger phone is too large to comfortably fit in a pocket.
That is my point exactly.....being a man I do not make a habit of caring a purse or bag and I generally don't stroll around down with a backpack. lol

So that is why I posed the question: As a guy where am I supposed to carry all of these devices? I know there is a certain small percentage of guys that wear fanny packs or carry a man purse with them but I definitely don't fall into either of those categories.

That doesn't mean I don't see a small niche for this device but I really don't see it catching on. People don't spend hundreds of dollars on the latest greatest device to leave it hidden in their bag and use a small cheap looking device with limited functionality.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,274 posts, read 23,318,716 times
Reputation: 6335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
That is my point exactly.....being a man I do not make a habit of caring a purse or bag and I generally don't stroll around down with a backpack. lol

So that is why I posed the question: As a guy where am I supposed to carry all of these devices? I know there is a certain small percentage of guys that wear fanny packs or carry a man purse with them but I definitely don't fall into either of those categories.

That doesn't mean I don't see a small niche for this device but I really don't see it catching on. People don't spend hundreds of dollars on the latest greatest device to leave it hidden in their bag and use a small cheap looking device with limited functionality.
The few guys I know with the Galaxy SIIs and SIIIs carry them in their pockets like any other phone. I would imagine this is mostly a female thing, as many women wear clothes with small, limited, tight, or no pockets; and most have a purse or handbag of some kind.

Then again, the only guys I can think of who would do something like this are the guys who would wear a fanny pack or carry a man-bag (or a messenger bag).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top