Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 10:43 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times

Advertisements

Okay, here is my predicament, I am upgrading my phone and bought a HTC One. I will get to play with it tonight and it seems to be a great phone from what I read, but I am getting conflicting reports as to how good the UltraPixel camera is. Design-wise its awesome and it is pretty cool to have a phone that is different from the thousands (millions?) that will flock to the Galaxy S4.

That being said, I am debating if the S4 is so undeniable that I should cave in and get the best of the best phone that is out there.

Lastly, I am debating if the hype between the HTC One and Galaxy S4 is warranted price-wise. I am on T-mobile and there is no contract but instead a payment plan on the phone. I was also considering getting a Nexus 4 and just not getting the latest and greatest. I do plan on keeping the next phone for 3 full years.

Which should it be?

Nexus 4 - $299, worst phone of all but still an huge upgrade from my current phone. Pay less per month over the next 2 years. Not sure if I can insure it.

HTC One -$99 down with 24 months of $20 ($569 total) awesome, sexy, different, I love the phone but should I pay so much more for it.

Galaxy S4 $150 down with 24 months of $20 ($619 total) Best, amazing features, too common?, may have to wait for it if it sells out, still haven't seen it in person yet.

Please help! I can only return it within 15 days.

Last edited by Deeman804; 04-23-2013 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Added more details around Nexus 4 option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I would lean toward the S4 ONLY because it is the only of the bunch that has expandable memory.
If this is NOT important to you I would stick with the ONE.
The ONE and the iPhone 5 are the best cell cameras, period.
The SG4 has a much cheaper feel to it and most of the "wow how cool stuff" is just software that you probably won't use much of any way.
Another thought to consider is HTC is HORRIBLE at phone updates. Samsung and Google (N4) are much better. And the way HTC has been reeling lately, this ONE might be a last gasp for them. If this doesn't sell like hotcakes, HTC's future is bleak.
Hmmm... I think I just talked you into the GS4 didn't I? lol
The N4 is no slouch.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I would lean toward the S4 ONLY because it is the only of the bunch that has expandable memory.
If this is NOT important to you I would stick with the ONE.
The ONE and the iPhone 5 are the best cell cameras, period.
The SG4 has a much cheaper feel to it and most of the "wow how cool stuff" is just software that you probably won't use much of any way.
Another thought to consider is HTC is HORRIBLE at phone updates. Samsung and Google (N4) are much better. And the way HTC has been reeling lately, this ONE might be a last gasp for them. If this doesn't sell like hotcakes, HTC's future is bleak.
Hmmm... I think I just talked you into the GS4 didn't I? lol
The N4 is no slouch.
Not quite, I am still debating. I have an HTC phone now (HD2 rooted with Android 2.3) so I still like them. Card storage isn't too much of a concern since HTC One has 32 GB of data and Google Drive and so many cloud storage apps for everything that I need beyond the 1-2 movies for a plane. The non-removable battery scares me more honestly.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
My next phone will most likely be the HTC One.

I currently have a SGS2 and it's fine except for a issue where the power button gets wonky in high humidity.

S4 is I'm sure a good phone, and the build quality of the S3 was a lot better than my S2, but after holding an iPhone you get spoiled with build quality. And after a while my S2 is creaking and already had a cracked screen that I had to fix. I bought a case, but I don't use it anymore as I like the form factor of the S2.

I don't use the expandable memory and only take out the battery when the phone freezes; which most times can be solved with a button press/plugged in to the charger. The Nexus 4 also does not have a removable battery.

----

The Nexus 4 is an inexpensive but a solid phone... but the Nexus 5 should be out sooner rather than later. Yes, it's not a slouch, but the camera is the worst out of the 3.

The HTC One's camera does look to be hit and miss, but honestly for me people have managed decent shots out of it, and it seems good enough for Facebook/Instagram.

As far as updates are concerned my S2 is running a custom ROM because I hate touchwiz and how cartoony everything looks. Not to mention it was a neutered update when Jelly Bean came out anyway. Most likely if the One is popular, then it will have plenty of ROMs available and I'll just run a version of OEM Jelly Bean or higher, whenever it comes out.

The S4 is to the S3 as the iPhone 4 is to the 4S; it's just an incremental upgrade.

---

So in the end I want an Android phone that has good build quality, and all things equal/HTC right now is the one that is in the lead.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
I would go with the Nexus 4, but that's just me. There are some rumors that Google will be updating it at their I/O conference to include LTE and up the internal memory. So if you can hold out for another month, the Nexus 4 will be an even better device. I love Nexus devices and you know that the Nexus 4 is going to have 4.2.2 right out of the box and will be getting 5.0 right away. You're could very well have a long delay before the One and the S4 get their 5.0 updates if history is any lesson. The camera is the only hangup I would have, but by and large, the camera on the Nexus 4 will get the job done.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
If you like HTC (as I used to) get the ONE.

This is pretty typical of the reviews I have seen.

HTC One Review: The Competition Is Fierce, But HTC’s New Flagship Rises To The Challenge | TechCrunch

I am also not the type to wait. When my contract is up, I buy a new phone that day. I don't care what's coming tomorrow. I get what's hot right now.

Which is why I have a RAZR HD. And it will last me 2 years until... the next big thing.

I agree with TAM88 about updates. HTC has a poor record there.
But Jelly Bean, the newset Android OS, is really a capable system. I don't know what Google has planned for KLP, but if I was stuck on JB for two years, I'd be happy. It's so good.

Bottom line, I have no doubt you would NOT regret the One.

Let us know what you decide! and how you like it when you get it. Whatever IT is.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
All I can comment on is the nexus 4. I've had it for about 2 months and so far I love it. Its got great memory and good speeds for surfing the net. But I came from a Nokia lumia 710, so anything smartphone wise was an upgrade. The issue about non removable batteries is a bummer though.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM

Okay guys, I have the HTC One and there is absolutely no way I can see myself giving it up. Perhaps I should have waited but I can't imagine the Galaxy S4 good enough for me to go through the hassle of returning devices and so forth. I can quickly tell that 32GB are needed though. If anyone is in a similar position and goes for the Nexus 4, ante up for the 32GB version. Only the future can tell if I made the best decision, but I am extremely happy with my purchase.

For all the nerds that want to know the best features of the phone IMO, please see below:

The camera - I finally get the Ultrapixel thing. The details are NOT as good as many of the smartphones when you zoom in so dont plan on printing it out. Now that we got out the way, the pros of the camera. 1.The best thing is the color in your photos. When you take a pic and hold it up in real life it looks the exact same. 2. The low light pictures look amazing. If its dark or you are in a concert you can get good pics even with the flash off. Its even better than my 3 year old point-and-shoot in the dark. The videos are scary realistic too. The screen helps a lot for photos and videos when you view it on the phone.

The phone - The phone is amazing looking and feels better than the other two in your hand. Hard to explain but think of the feeling when you pick up an iPhone. They say its the metallic cover...possibly?

The speakers - Definitely one of those, you don't know you need it until you have it sort of things. Playing games feels much better with the sound in your face. Speaker-phone is nice and even the actual sound from in calls seem nicer.

TV remote - Its awesome! Set up only took 2 minutes. Whats on now? I read the description and click on the picture to watch. I can even make reminders on my phone so I don't need to be watching to know (that can be both a good or bad thing).

The screen - Best screen on market, period.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:33 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
I think you made the best choice among all the flagship smartphones out there--and this is coming from an iPhone 5 owner. The HTC One currently has no equal. It's beautiful inside and out and it well thought out.

I'm also excited to see what the new Google/Motorola smartphone brings as well as the Nexus 5 which is well into the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones