Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:58 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times

Advertisements

Hi- we decided to dump Sprint and go with TMobile or ConsumerCellular (We're old, we txt and don't use data).

My Sprint contract expired 2 years ago. Yes, 2011. No I never began a new contract.

We have a plan that no longer exists called the "Free and Clear 500 Plan (free 500 talk mins/500 free txt/no data)"

I want to say the right words so to speak so I can cancel and take our numbers to the new service.

I want to be clear that I'm cancelling, taking my number and I if I have to sign anything I want to understand whats going on.

How do I cancel and not allow them to try to charge me a fee for leaving?

Consumer Reports had great info this month but didn't explain how to cut the cord.

Thanks for helping me-sorry I'm a luddite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 07:08 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
If your contract is up, you shouldn't be charged anything except whatever your bill is for that month.

Before you cancel your contract, you need to contact the new phone company (TMobile?) and let them know you want to bring your phone numbers over. Many phone companies allow you to check if your number is eligible for swapping over on their website. Most of the time, the answer is yes. I just did it.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
If you want to port your number to the new provider, then sign up with the new provider first and have them begin the number porting process. DO NOT cancel your current Sprint plan until the number porting process is complete. There may be a 2-4 week overlap where you're effectively paying for service for two providers, but this is the best way to ensure you get to keep your current number. If you cancel your current plan before your number is ported to your new provider, you could lose it.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you cancel your current plan before your number is ported to your new provider, you could lose it.
This.

Sign up for new service and have them port your number. You don't need to do anything else. Your old company will automatically close your account.

IME it usually only takes a few hours before it's done.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Thanks to all! I'm looking into consumercellular-looks simple and good.

Thanks for your help!!

Old 12-13-2013, 02:44 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
You won't need to contact SPRINT about closing your account with them. Your final statement (with no monthly charges billed in advance) will be received on the same day of the month that you normally receive it. They will not create a new invoice if you cancel during a current billing cycle. You don't need to speak with SPRINT to notate anything to your account. If you want to speak with them as to why you left, do it after you have ported the phone #.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:15 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
I dumped Sprint a long time ago and went with T-Mobile. There was a $200 free to drop them even tho my plan was up with. I got out of it for half the amount since I "was having dropped calls".

Old 12-15-2013, 08:40 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I dumped Sprint a long time ago and went with T-Mobile. There was a $200 free to drop them even tho my plan was up with. I got out of it for half the amount since I "was having dropped calls".
That's ridiculous. If you have no contract, then you can leave without paying a fee to do so. Period.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 12-15-2013 at 08:49 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That's ridiculous. If you have no contract, then you can leave without paying a fee to do so. Period.
Not when I was with them back in 2004, 10 years ago !

Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Not when I was with them back in 2004, 10 years ago !
Again, pure nonsense. You must have had a contract or there must have been some mistake that you didn't bother getting corrected.

They can't charge you a fee for canceling a service that you're not contractually obligated to pay for. How anyone could think otherwise is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones