Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaJones26 View Post
no that can never be outdated...no matter how many wearable technologies are invented
Nonsense. It will be outdated one day. Maybe not today, maybe not in a decade. But to say that it will never be outdated... is nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:52 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,137 times
I tried to order a Galaxy Gear 2 from Best Buy and the preorders are sold out. I couldn't believe it being that there are 3 different models this time. They complained the first Galaxy Gear barely sold. I ended up ordering from AT&T.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:09 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,580 times
Let's define doomed here.

Are, say, pocket watches doomed? If they are doomed, then I'd say that wristwatches will probably be less doomed than they are.

If pocket watches aren't doomed, then I think that wristwatches will not be doomed, and will be less close to the doomed benchmark that we might arbitrarily set.

I can imagine a world where no one wears wristwatches that are merely watches. But I'd think that would be at a time where it would be appropriate to ask if mobile phones are doomed.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:21 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,889 times
They're certainly not as ubiquitous as they once were, but there will always be a segment of the population who fancies themselves watch aficionados. It's one of the few universally acceptable pieces of bling a man can wear.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:00 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
There's 2 types of watches: Fashion Accessories & Functional

The functional has a much higher chance of being doomed. Smart watches are gaining some popularity but I think this will be short lived. I'm guessing smart phones in general have been slowly killing functional watches.

The fashion accessory watch will be around for quite some time. People don't buy a Patek Philippe to tell the time.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:02 AM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Taken a hit - certainly.

Totally obsolete? Not at all.

It's way more convenient to glance down at my wrist than to pull out my phone.
^^^ This! I still wear my watches.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:12 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
There's 2 types of watches: Fashion Accessories & Functional

The functional has a much higher chance of being doomed. Smart watches are gaining some popularity but I think this will be short lived. I'm guessing smart phones in general have been slowly killing functional watches.

The fashion accessory watch will be around for quite some time. People don't buy a Patek Philippe to tell the time.
To add to this, I haven't really worn a watch (for the strict purpose of telling time) since I got my first pager, so it's not a super new trend, just one that's been accelerated by the wider adoption of smartphones.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
So the question is, will wrist watches someday become totally obsolete ?
Don
Vinyl records, turntables, tube amps are still around and being sold.

So no, I don't think wrist watches will become totally obsolete. Not in my lifetime anyway. In fact, I've noticed the opposite - there seems to be more wrist watches for sale now than ever. From fashionable to functional to jewelry timepieces. The stores won't be stocking these if they're not moving.

I agree - I've noticed people in the 20 to 30 age range seemed to have dropped the wrist watches and just use their cell phones for time. (Have to qualify that with "in the some cities in the USA".)

On the other hand, my son and his friends (teens) have a few wrist watches. Mostly waterproof/shock proof sport watches. They have more watches than I do. They even have those round pocket watches with the chain! My son said they first noticed it in the movie "Loopers" ( I know, not an exemplary example). Then other movies later. "Very cool". So they alternate between the wrist watches and pocket watches, depending on where they're going. Okay, this could be temporary. A trend. They've also dropped Facebook and Twitter. Or hardly get on it anymore. So maybe something's up. Each generation is different.

If anything, I think the current form factor of the smart phone will go the way of the dodo before wrist watches do. To be more accurate, I think a smart watch will evolve from a smart phone. The form factor of a wrist watch vs a smart phone is just too convenient. I bet functionality on wrist watches will increase. It's only a matter of time. I'm just waiting for a smart wrist watch & earpiece combo, that has all the functionality of a cell phone/GPS/athletic watch/music player/video player. I would chuck the smart phone form factor in a heartbeat.

After all, I don't need nor do I want to look at a screen when I'm calling a number or getting turn by turn directions from my GPS. I just need to say "call home" or "directions to state park" or "play playlist one". Then listen. The only time I would need a screen would be if I wanted to watch a video or read a book. A wearable screen (glasses) that syncs with the smart watch would take care of that.

In Asia, different ballgame. Wrist watches are still everywhere - Cheap, expensive, functional, fashion, jewelry. In some cultures, specially those whose population and economies are growing, wrist watches are a sought after luxury item. The world's population keeps on growing. There will always be more people that want these things.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:09 AM

471 posts, read 1,607,025 times
Quote:
Taken a hit - certainly.

+1, particularly the convenience issue.

Smart watches: to me anyway, overall these have a great chance of going nowhere in the long run among the general public & at most will occupy a specialized niche in the personal technology universe, for example in the business and science fields where anything that aids in the pursuit of money or facts, respectively, is desired.

BTW as an audio-video hobbyist, I also have no desire whatsoever to use a smartphone as a replacement for my home theater system's remote, a big trend the last few years. Why? 1) another way to run down my phone's battery 2) don't want to get popcorn oil, nacho cheese sauce or other movie-related goo on the phone's screen 3) getting lost in the couch cushions and/or accidentally sat on - ever priced a replacement touch screen? and 4) my HT system comes with a remote already.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:06 PM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Taken a hit - certainly.

I feel the same way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones