Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:06 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,940 times

Advertisements

Especially in the US, but the rest of the world isn't much better off, even the heavily regulated places. There are over 15 different mutually incompatible LTE frequency implementations. If not more, I probably lost count somewhere. That's crazy. We've got 6-8 different implementations just in North America. TO top it off, NONE of the above, and very few worldwide, implement any kind of voice over LTE, so you still need your basic CDMA or HSPA+ frequencies.

20-band phone anyone?

I figure HSPA+ is the way to go, phones are simpler, there really isn't all that much speed difference (it's generally limited and ignoring the LTE bands entirely means you have a LOT more options available. There's very little chance of LTE bands standardizing to a reasonable degree, especially when the same frequency can be a downlink in some implementations, an uplink in others, and both in spectrum-poor areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 04:52 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,669 times
LTE, an acronym for Long-Term Evolution, commonly marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals

Old 04-29-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
LTE, an acronym for Long-Term Evolution, commonly marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals
Using the word "standard" is laughable. It's probably the most non-standardized "standard" out there. Heck phones in the USA now HAVE to be "per carrier" basically, no one can make a phone that even works on both T-Mobile and AT&T LTE, their implementations are too different.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:02 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
You can make phones that work on multiple carriers, it's a matter of the carriers allowing them. Verizon wants to control every aspect of the phone firmware so they won't allow a Nexus 5 to be used, but unlocked neutral phones like the Nexus 5 can work on a number of carriers.

In any case T Mobile does not have very good signal for those who travel across the country.. for that you basically need larger carriers like Verizon, AT&T, or providers that run off these networks. I use Page Plus with an 80 dollar 2000 minute 1 year card.. I may switch to selectel where I can get the same plus 1500 texts for 75 bucks a year.... but no data plans or expensive phones for me. I got sick of ads, locked down phones, etc.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
You can make phones that work on multiple carriers, it's a matter of the carriers allowing them. Verizon wants to control every aspect of the phone firmware so they won't allow a Nexus 5 to be used, but unlocked neutral phones like the Nexus 5 can work on a number of carriers.
No it isn't a matter of the carriers allowing them (except in the case of Verizon anyway, you're right, they're control freaks). Since theoretically AT&T and T-Mobile are supposed to be inter-operable to some degree, let's take a look at them.

T-Mobile USA LTE:
1700/2100 AWS (Band 4) - One frequency up, one frequency down
700 Mhz Block A (Band 12) - Planned
1900 MHz PCS (Band 2) - Planned

AT&T LTE:
700 MHz Block B (Band 17)
1700 MHz AWS (Band 4) - Note, not compatible with T-Mobile's 1700/2100 AWS implementation.
1900 MHz PCS - (Band 2)
2300 MHz WCS - (Band 30)

The only band that will work on both is the 1900 MHz PCS, assuming T-Mobile implements it right (they haven't built it yet). There's a CHANCE someone could make a phone that works with both of the Band 4 implementations (T-Mobile uses both frequencies in tandem, AT&T is 1700 MHz only) but it wouldn't be easy.

Now, I would LOVE to see everyone standardize on the 1900 Mhz band. I'd like the 700 MHz band even more, it penetrates buildings better, and is longer range, for better coverage.

This will frankly lead us to terrible coverage, because everyone's going to have to build out their own personal network that covers everyone, and roaming agreements are going to be impossible for data. Never going to happen. On the other hand, look at the HSPA+ situation:

T-Mobile USA HSPA:
850 MHz CLR - (Roaming agreement with AT&T)
1900 MHz PCS
1700/2100 MHz AWS - Being decommissioned in favor of PCS

AT&T HSPA:
850 MHz CLR
1900 MHz PCS

2 bands (once AWS is decommissioned) and you're done. And you need these anyway, since this is where your voice service is, even if you have an LTE phone.

Know what would really be ideal, both from the corporate side and the consumer side? This:

T-Mobile USA:
850 MHz CLR - HSPA (Roaming agreement with AT&T)
1900 MHz PCS - HSPA
700 MHz Block A/B LTE - Data

AT&T HSPA:
850 MHz CLR - HSPA
1900 MHz PCS - HSPA
700 MHz Block A/B LTE - Data

And then let Verizon and Sprint use the other wacko frequencies. Since they're going to insist on not being interoperable with anyone else anyway.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
I think that the start of all of this confusion was that there should have been a requirement by the FCC to mandate a single cellular technology and similar frequencies for all cellular carriers.

In theory, VOLTE (Voice Over LTE) should help resolve this discrepancy. We will have to wait to see what happens with the current and future technology. There is no short and simple solution and may take many years to fully integrate nationwide among all carriers.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
no one can make a phone that even works on both T-Mobile and AT&T LTE, their implementations are too different.
The Nexus 5 and others work on both. I've used an ATT phone on TMo LTE with no issues. I believe the latest iPhones are compatible with both as well. Both TMo and ATT use AWS (UMTS Band 4) so there is no reason they shouldn't be compatible.

If a phone supports LTE on AWS and it doesn't work across carriers, it's a software issue (either on the phone's side or the carrier's side), not a hardware issue.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:47 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,162 times
If Qualcomm is supporting these bands in their chips, why do you care? Is this rant about interoperability?

Its not like GSM/UMTS/HSDPA is going away any time soon. LTE literally just started and probably has another generation or two to actually be 'mature.'

VoLTE is going to start rolling out by years end. But we are years away from it being a voice standard.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
......... it's a software issue (either on the phone's side or the carrier's side), not a hardware issue.
Gotta disagree with this. I believe it is a hardware and not a software issue. An OS hack/mod won't likely be of any help.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:17 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The Nexus 5 and others work on both. I've used an ATT phone on TMo LTE with no issues. I believe the latest iPhones are compatible with both as well. Both TMo and ATT use AWS (UMTS Band 4) so there is no reason they shouldn't be compatible.

If a phone supports LTE on AWS and it doesn't work across carriers, it's a software issue (either on the phone's side or the carrier's side), not a hardware issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Gotta disagree with this. I believe it is a hardware and not a software issue. An OS hack/mod won't likely be of any help.
Exactly dontaskwhy.

Firstly only T-Mo and its MVNOs support the AWS band, so it won't work across carriers anyway.

I do think however that there are devices that physically support certain bands (i.e. chip and radio), but firmware (not software) implementation may prohibit the use of those bands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones