Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 09:13 AM

121 posts, read 152,473 times

Advertisements

We have two phones in our family - an iPhone and a basic phone and would like to keep this arrangement. Currently we are with Verizon and have been for MANY years but lost our discount due to retirement. Our plan costs $100/month for 550 shared minutes and 2GB data for the iPhone. This plan has worked well and we have only gone over our data allotment once due to grand kids playing with the phone. The contract for the basic phone is up now and the iPhone is up the end of December.

We would like to continue to have an iPhone and a basic phone without data but I am lost wading through all of the possibilities for the best thing to do. One thing I considered is getting the Sprint service for $50 unlimited plus the $20 lease of the phone so it can be upgraded each two years. If we do this, the best option I see for the other phone is a prepaid plan.

Is there anyone familiar enough with options to let me know what some of our best choices are? We will be in Charleston, SC -Verizon and ATT seem to have the best coverage but Sprint also seems to be a decent option. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:04 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
I would try Sprint before committing. Obviously coverage is highly location dependent, but I've had them in three different time zones while living in everything from college towns to large cities with millions of people, and they've been universally terrible.

Also, Verizon has a $60 single line plan with 2GB of data and unlimited talk/text. The rate goes down to $50 if you sign up for Edge. You'd have to do the math on how much you spend on phones and how often you upgrade to figure out which is a better deal. You could also use one of the more everything plans and keep both lines on it. That'll cost you $70 with a regular contract or $60 with Edge.

I would stay with Verizon and keep the superior coverage, but switch plans because you're paying way too much right now.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Go to Verizon to see choices for upgrade listed under each phone by clicking on that phone. They give the price and terms. Pretty limited as to non-smart phone these days .

Old 09-19-2014, 11:09 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall85917 View Post
We have two phones in our family - an iPhone and a basic phone and would like to keep this arrangement. Currently we are with Verizon and have been for MANY years but lost our discount due to retirement. Our plan costs $100/month for 550 shared minutes and 2GB data for the iPhone. This plan has worked well and we have only gone over our data allotment once due to grand kids playing with the phone. The contract for the basic phone is up now and the iPhone is up the end of December.

We would like to continue to have an iPhone and a basic phone without data but I am lost wading through all of the possibilities for the best thing to do. One thing I considered is getting the Sprint service for $50 unlimited plus the $20 lease of the phone so it can be upgraded each two years. If we do this, the best option I see for the other phone is a prepaid plan.

Is there anyone familiar enough with options to let me know what some of our best choices are? We will be in Charleston, SC -Verizon and ATT seem to have the best coverage but Sprint also seems to be a decent option. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You can keep your current plan without a contract until you make any sort of change on your account.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Low cost solution

My wife and I are about to reduce our costs dramatically.
We will join our daughter's phone plan for $10/month/person.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:11 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall85917 View Post

My experience with TMobile/Sprint (had both) is that they have decent to great coverage in major metro areas, but next to nothing in small towns and rural areas. It totally depends where you will spend most of your time.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:30 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
I've had several friend go down this rabbit hole. Deciding their old dumb phone needed to be replaced, and perhaps jump to a new provider. The impenetrable hash of options, offers, and "opportunities" are undecipherable!

What we need is a new kind of Sales Assist Agent. Just like a Buyers Agent for buying a house, (who is an advocate JUST for the buyer), we need people / businesses to start that can provide a reasonable matrix of decisions to result in the best buy for your needs.
Any entrepreneurs out there???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones