Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:38 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times

Advertisements

I'm within a few years of 50, when I was young in the 80s, we dreamed of being able to use the computer anywhere and everywhere. We're living the dream now. I know the complaint above, but it was no different when older generations dropped everything to answer a phone call. That was just as bad as now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 10:54 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
In line?

I used to do math in my head, ponder philosophical questions, talk to people in line around me, come up with new ideas...but, hey. Angry birds.

*eyesroll*
Love this post. The idea that people need to be entertained or chatting with their online friends constantly reminds me of the bit in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

Quote:
“It is worth repeating at this point the theories that Ford had come up with, on his first encounter with human beings, to account for their peculiar habit of continually stating and restating the very very obvious, as in "It's a nice day," or "You're very tall," or "So this is it, we're going to die."

His first theory was that if human beings didn't keep exercising their lips, their mouths probably shriveled up.

After a few months of observation he had come up with a second theory, which was this--"If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, their brains start working.”
Now it's not just their lips, but their screen-tapping fingers as well.

When do people think? When do they ponder things, come up with ideas, get creative, be still? When do they interact with the world around them and the people nearby?

I'm 40 (although I think age has nothing to do with anything) and am getting my first cell phone next month. I suddenly have a long drive I'll be doing every week and want some way of calling for help from the road.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:55 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,303 times
Quote:
At work, at grocery stores, etc.....people cannot look away from that screen. What are they looking at?
In a store, I'd be looking at a shopping list on my phone.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:06 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
[quote=Rocco Barbosa;38243910

Yes, I have a smart phone. I only carry it when I leave home and I never take it out unless someone texts/calls me.

What am I missing? [/quote]

You should down grade. A flip phone sounds more suited for you.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:43 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
I think so many people overly use their 'smart' phone because they feel a need to get their monies worth out f it. 'I paid $400 for this and I drop $70 a month on it. I'll use it all day until the battery dies'.
I heard a woman on her phone while walking down the cereal isle. 'Billy. Do you want frosted or unfrosted corn flakes?' Good thing that woman had a cell phone to call her kid for such an emergency decision making moment. But then, it may have been a good thing. Otherwise we may have seen on the news. Child kills mother for buying wrong corn flakes.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:42 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
I was in a Best Buy yesterday. I couldn't find something on sale. I whipped out my phone and checked if they have it in stock. They did. I just went to one of their workers and he went and go it out of the back of the store. That's my latest reason.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:57 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Cool Explanation:

Some folks just worry way too much about what other folks are doing.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-01-2015 at 07:49 AM..

Old 02-01-2015, 08:51 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
It's because this technology is amazing and addictive. We have the knowledge of the world at our fingertips in our pockets at all times. It's hard to resist that knowledge for me. In addition we have every other person in the world who owns a device at our fingertips. It's a bit overwhelming and hard to ignore.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:28 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,714 times
Because some things are just more intere *DING* excuse me.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:24 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
What's the deal with people being GLUED to smart phones?

At work, at grocery stores, etc.....people cannot look away from that screen. What are they looking at?
I'm looking at my grocery list. I find it more convenient to keep a running list on my phone of things I need rather than writing lists on paper.

And if I'm waiting in line, I might check the news, facebook, or something to distract me from all the chocolate bars begging to jump into my cart.

I don't text while driving. That's just reckless and stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones