Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:05 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times

Advertisements

I'll be getting a new phone in a few weeks and trying to decide between these as an upgrade to my current Galaxy S4. Keeping that one is not an option as it's a refurb replacement for a broken phone and not working well, esp. the camera, which is a key feature for me.

I can't decide if the features of the S6 outweigh the inability to change out the battery and put in my own SD card.

Any personal experience to share that swayed you one way or the other?

I've read most of the reviews and comparisons online so I don't need links to those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:08 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
If you are in a position where you won't be around a charger for over a day, get the S5. If you have chargers around, get the S6.

The SD card thing is personal. You can get a 128gb S6 so that negates needing an SD card for the most part. Yes it costs more but is worth it.

Everything about the S6 is superior in a big way outside of the replaceable battery and SD card slot.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If you are in a position where you won't be around a charger for over a day, get the S5. If you have chargers around, get the S6.

The SD card thing is personal. You can get a 128gb S6 so that negates needing an SD card for the most part. Yes it costs more but is worth it.

Everything about the S6 is superior in a big way outside of the replaceable battery and SD card slot.
thanks. Most days, I am in my office with access to a charger, so yeah, probably that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

For the SD card, it's kind of an emotional reaction, I guess. To me, it was a great feature and I think it's annoying that they are taking it away.

But I'm leaning towards the camera being the deciding factor and going with the S6 because of that.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:53 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
thanks. Most days, I am in my office with access to a charger, so yeah, probably that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

For the SD card, it's kind of an emotional reaction, I guess. To me, it was a great feature and I think it's annoying that they are taking it away.

But I'm leaning towards the camera being the deciding factor and going with the S6 because of that.
It's the best cell phone camera ever in my opinion. It beats out my iPhone 6 Plus by a decent margin. You can double click the home button from ANYWHERE (even lockscreen) and the camera opens nearly instantly.

This alone is worth it.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's the best cell phone camera ever in my opinion. It beats out my iPhone 6 Plus by a decent margin. You can double click the home button from ANYWHERE (even lockscreen) and the camera opens nearly instantly.

This alone is worth it.
Yes, that is an EXTREMELY tempting feature!

I am probably going to end up getting an S5 for my kid (first phone) so I suppose I can always make him swap with me if I decide it's not working. I was going to give him my S4, but I think I'll sell it instead and get a brand new S5 for him, since it comes out to pretty much a wash financially.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
The only thing I do not like about the s6 over the s5 is the lack of water resistance. Not that I plan on purposely putting my phone in water, but I use the camera and music player (I run in the rain) a a lot, so it gives me a peace of mind about it getting wet, or accidentally dropping in the water at the beach while taking pics.

The SD card is not too much of an issue, except that I know they will charge way more for a larger storage than if it was just a removable one and you purchased the large storage yourself.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:21 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
The quick access to the camera is awesome. I have that feature (an even better one, imo) on my Droid Turbo. You just twist the phone in your hand twice and it opens the camera. I first heard of that and thought "what a lame gimmick!". But now, I think it may be my favorite feature.
The new LG G4 just announced has far and away the nicest camera in any cellphone ever.

It has a removable battery AND an SD card.

If camera is your #1: watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_bBgVjQUSU

Old 05-08-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The quick access to the camera is awesome. I have that feature (an even better one, imo) on my Droid Turbo. You just twist the phone in your hand twice and it opens the camera. I first heard of that and thought "what a lame gimmick!". But now, I think it may be my favorite feature.
The new LG G4 just announced has far and away the nicest camera in any cellphone ever.

It has a removable battery AND an SD card.

If camera is your #1: watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_bBgVjQUSU
I had an LG G2x - worst phone I ever had in my entire life. My dad had the same one, and it was equally awful, so it wasn't just that I had a lemon. Never, ever again. If my only choice was an LG phone, that would make me get an iPhone.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The only thing I do not like about the s6 over the s5 is the lack of water resistance. Not that I plan on purposely putting my phone in water, but I use the camera and music player (I run in the rain) a a lot, so it gives me a peace of mind about it getting wet, or accidentally dropping in the water at the beach while taking pics.

The SD card is not too much of an issue, except that I know they will charge way more for a larger storage than if it was just a removable one and you purchased the large storage yourself.
Thanks, really appreciate hearing the personal experience with it! I suppose it really does just come down to money in terms of the storage - and now Samsung gets that money, rather than it going to Sandisk or whoever.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:32 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I had an LG G2x - worst phone I ever had in my entire life. My dad had the same one, and it was equally awful, so it wasn't just that I had a lemon. Never, ever again. If my only choice was an LG phone, that would make me get an iPhone.
Yep, that's how it goes. People have a bad experience with a phone swear off that brand forever.
That's exactly how I feel about HTC.
But when trying to help people here I try to keep my bias out about a phone that I had that was high end 4 years ago. You can't go wrong with any of today's flagships...yes, even HTC.
The LG G3 was a reviewed very favorably all over the internet and was a huge hit for LG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones