Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 02:52 PM

765 posts, read 986,583 times

Advertisements

Whats the better service if I plan on using this service on an Iphone 4?
Pros and cons to both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 03:12 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,631 times
Depends on your location. My wife has T-Mobile and I have ATT. Out east in our area ATT is better and out west T-Mobile is better but one feature I like about T-Mobile best is the wifi calling, so anywhere there is a wifi that you can access, your phone can use that wifi as if it is a cell tower, thus you can even make local calls to the US when in foreign countries and have a strong signal when in areas with little to no signal, as long as you can access an open wifi signal or one that someone gives you the password to.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:15 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,103 times
On an iPhone 4 definitely I would go with AT&T (or Cricket if you want to save some money). The iPhone 4 lacks most of the frequencies that T-Mobile uses for its network so you will likely have a poor coverage experience. You need at least an iPhone 5 in order to gain access to the majority of T-Mobile's network. Also the iPhone 4 cannot do Wi-fi calling. You'll need an iPhone 5C or newer.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Coverage is the most important factor. AT&T wins.

T-Mobile is fine in urban and suburban areas, but if you travel much outside of cities your T-Mobile phone may not work. In rural CA AT&T works well, but not T-Mobile. Where I live T-Mobile and Sprint don't work at all, but AT&T is excellent with LTE speeds.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:57 PM

195 posts, read 246,389 times
My GF has AT&T, I have T-Mobile. My T-Mobile iPhone 4s works better in her house than her AT&T iPhone 5.

YMMV, really depends on whose towers you are closest to in terms of service. Way out in the boonies, neither works well.

I think T-Mobile has better rates, as they started the no-contract revolution, which the other carriers are slowly adopting.

Also, the biggest difference, is that when you reach your data cap, AT&T will charge you for the data you use over your cap. On the other hand, T-Mobile simply throttles your data down to 2.5g speed, which I've found is still fast enough to stream music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones