Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:42 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times

Advertisements

I have a tmobile plan for my wife and i. it's unlimited everything including internet (no throttling) & 5gb hotspot. It's $99/month.

I've used 24gb this month and zero issues. I can use chromecast to send videos from my phone to tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 12:48 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I think there's a terminology issue here: WiFi has nothing to do with internet access, and is just a wireless technology between devices (computer to router, phone to router, etc). You can still have WiFi in your house without having internet access from an ISP (you just need a wireless router).
Thank you. I feel pretty stupid now.

So when I look at that list below, number #7 and #9. Are they referring to fiber optic customers, or to LTE customers (or both)?

Top 25 Multichannel Video Programming Distributors as of Sept. 2010 – Source NCTA (National Cable Television Association)
Rank MSO BasicVideoSubscribers
1 Comcast Corporation 22,937,000
2 DirecTV 18,934,000
3 Dish Network Corporation 14,289,000
4 Time Warner Cable, Inc. 12,551,000
5 Cox Communications, Inc.1 4,968,000
6 Charter Communications, Inc. 4,653,000
7 Verizon Communications, Inc. 3,290,000
8 Cablevision Systems Corporatn 3,043,000
9 AT&T, Inc. 2,739,000
10 Bright House Networks LLC1 2,194,000

Old 05-07-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Thank you. I feel pretty stupid now.

So when I look at that list below, number #7 and #9. Are they referring to fiber optic customers, or to LTE customers (or both)?

Top 25 Multichannel Video Programming Distributors as of Sept. 2010 – Source NCTA (National Cable Television Association)
Rank MSO BasicVideoSubscribers
1 Comcast Corporation 22,937,000
2 DirecTV 18,934,000
3 Dish Network Corporation 14,289,000
4 Time Warner Cable, Inc. 12,551,000
5 Cox Communications, Inc.1 4,968,000
6 Charter Communications, Inc. 4,653,000
7 Verizon Communications, Inc. 3,290,000
8 Cablevision Systems Corporatn 3,043,000
9 AT&T, Inc. 2,739,000
10 Bright House Networks LLC1 2,194,000
That is cable/internet subscribers, not LTE.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:30 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I can use chromecast to send videos from my phone to tv.

Are you using the T-Mobile connection exclusively, or do you have regular broadband?

I'd be interested in how the Chromecast works if you don't have an upstream provider on the wireless router, and it has no internet connection.

I know that it connects to the internet directly to get most cast content if there's a connection (so the phone is just handing the Chromecast a URL, and not providing the internet connection).

Old 05-07-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Are you using the T-Mobile connection exclusively, or do you have regular broadband?

I'd be interested in how the Chromecast works if you don't have an upstream provider on the wireless router, and it has no internet connection.

I know that it connects to the internet directly to get most cast content if there's a connection (so the phone is just handing the Chromecast a URL, and not providing the internet connection).
I have broadband too but I use lte on my phone to play the video often because it's faster and more reliable than my broadband. I'm not sure how the handoff works in this case.

I do know that it still works when my broadband is down completely. Charter has a tendency to go out often.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:10 AM

195 posts, read 246,295 times
Quote:
I am not trying to connect to a WiFi device. I am trying to connect to a screen so that I can watch Netflix on a full size screen.

My question is will these $80 unlimited plans provide the same entertainment options as WiFi service?
I do this. I have the T-Mobile UNL plan, and I can stream all the Netflix to my phone that I want, all high speed. When I want to watch it on my TV, I can connect the phone to the TV with a cable that Samsung makes & sells for under $50 (don't recall the exact price, but it is below $50). Don't know of any way to use bluetooth for the connection instead.

I've found that this is actually more reliable (fewer pauses for refresh or buffering) than trying to watch the Netflix through Comcast to my TV. I've racked up some very large monthly GB usage this way... all included in my UNL plan, and all LTE speed.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:13 AM

195 posts, read 246,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
The term 'UNLIMITED' isn't REALLY unlimited...
I use StraightTalk for 39.95 a month for what THEY call unlimited text, voice, data.
When I hit (what I think is) a 2 gig limit, my bandwidth is slowed down or throttled, as they call it.
I love my StraightTalk service (it's thru Verizon) and I'm staying with them despite the other companies offers to lower rates (The new plan from WalMart, for example).
This is wrong. T-Mobiles Unlimited really IS unlimited, not throttled. The lesser plans, as you mentioned, are throttled, but they aren't sold as Unlimited High Speed.

The other guys (Verizon, AT&T) charge you when you go over their limit -- don't think they sell unlimited anymore. No idea what Sprint does, but there network is so bad -- it is hardly useable.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:11 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRF206 View Post
I've found that this is actually more reliable (fewer pauses for refresh or buffering) than trying to watch the Netflix through Comcast to my TV. I've racked up some very large monthly GB usage this way... all included in my UNL plan, and all LTE speed.
So in theory you could get rid of Comcast entirely if you wanted. You could send documents you write on the computer over LTE. There would be no way to surf the web with your computer.

As someone earlier pointed out you could use WiFi in your home that is not connected to Comcast to bridge the connection from your phone to the TV wirelessly. Many people arrange their living room so that a wire would be inconvenient. I was wrong about Blutooth alone- it doesn't have the bandwidth to carry video (just audio).

Old 05-09-2015, 05:05 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
Quote:
So in theory you could get rid of Comcast entirely if you wanted. You could send documents you write on the computer over LTE. There would be no way to surf the web with your computer.
Yep, your phone would be the only internet, so you'd have to move documents to the phone to send them, or use phone based apps entirely.

Your computer would be fine for local things, but there would be no internet connection for updates, downloads, surfing, etc.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:42 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
I see these ads at T-mobile

UNLIMITED 4G LTE DATA + Rhapsody unRadio subscription included
$80 /MO. INCLUDES: UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT & DATA
LIMITED TIME! 2 lines of UNLIMITED 4G LTE data on our network for just $100/mo. Additional lines $40/mo. per line.

My question is if you have a service like this, and you DO NOT HAVE home wifi. then can you

1) Link to your TV with bluetooth and watch Netflix, hulu+, and Amazon prime ?
2) Get a wireless mouse and keyboard and run traditional internet based programs (like word processors and spreadsheet programs).

I see these ads for 4GLTE Internet Installed which give you Internet connection in your home, but it seems like it is aimed at people who don't have access to broadband cable. In addition it is measured data.

I was wondering what you could do with the UNLIMITED phone only data.
Tethering is not unlimited on T Mobile. If you want unlimited tethering, check out AT&T GoPhone; they throttle after 4 GB, but you can still use your phone as a hotspot after you're throttled. I do it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones