Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 08:00 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times

Advertisements

Would you buy a fake iPhone?

Police raid factory producing 41,000 fake iPhones in China - Telegraph

Old 08-01-2015, 03:52 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times
My uncle bought all his nephews fake Rolex's from a street vender. I actually wore it to the Caribbean for field work because I didn't want to ruin my good watch. When I was coming through customs I told the customs agent that it was a fake Rolex. She told me that they are illegal.

I felt like such a dope because I didn't even think of that. She just laughed at me and said it wasn't worth the paperwork to confiscate it.

I did talk to someone who stopped wearing his real Rolex. So many people had the fake ones that he thought the real one hurt him in business because everyone assumed it was fake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Would you buy a fake iPhone?
I would think the fake iWatches at $58 would be more popular, especially if they have some level of functionality. If they are realistic enough, it might fool someone. Of course the dead giveaway would be if they realize that the watch is working without the phone.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:42 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,360,322 times
This thread is just silly. Such counterfeiting has gone on for so long, nobody should be surprised. I don't support counterfeiting under any circumstance but nobody should be shocked that it occurs or that it will suddenly be stopped overnight.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:33 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Would I? No. Apart from legality reasons, a fake phone won't get you the same kind of warranty (if you even get a warranty, which is unlikely), functionality, etc.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:50 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
Big deal that's where they are all made anyway.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:12 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
Fake or not, as an Engineer, I look at those things and think:
Not half bad for making something like this for so little money.
Which brings up the question, should the real one really cost that much ?

OK, it took a lot of investment to get the *real one* to work,
but then, it still is not *easy* to *re-produce* something like a smart phone or a watch.
If *you* think it is easy, why are *you* not trying to do that ??

Reminds me of the days I was working for one of the large air frame manufactures in California.
Here we are working on the loading doors of the next fuselage, and the manager is walking around with plans from our competitor, and asking, *Does it look somewhat like this yet ?*

Talk about original design ...
Oh well ...

By the way, speaking of expensive hoyty toyty watches,
I wear the cheapest watch I can find from Walmart,
or some other cheepy place.
Wear the bugger for as long as it works, then throw it away,
then buy a new one.
I am wearing one now which cost me 16 green ones.
Bought it at *Big 5*, and have been wearing this thing for almost 3 years now !

Call me a cheepskate or frugal !
In the end I can tell time just as good as the next guy with his real Rolex !

You buy a fake Rolex, you are just a *pretender*.
I do not pretend to be cheap, I AM cheap !!

Finally, to get back to the original subject !
Legal, NO !!
Stupid ? YES !!
They should have called it Naughty-Phone
(Not I Phone)

Nuff sed !

Last edited by irman; 08-06-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.