Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 01:31 PM

323 posts, read 448,843 times

Advertisements

Hmm, eofelis, on the "Tracphone" thread, wrote that he/she has had an LG Ultimate 2 for over a year and "it's been a really good phone". The 809 reviewers averaging 4.5/5 stars at Amazon don't seem to be having problems either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 09:45 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I see that you are correct.

I can't imagine anyone being all that happy with a 1.2 GHZ Dual core and a 8GB (4.7 usable...) phone in the long run. This is one of the things people complain about on Android phones are these low end ones. Nice to see LG made a decent low end phone, though!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:56 AM

323 posts, read 448,843 times
Default LG 2 Tracfone takes micro SD card as large as 64 GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I can't imagine anyone being all that happy with a 1.2 GHZ Dual core and a 8GB (4.7 usable...) phone in the long run. This is one of the things people complain about on Android phones are these low end ones. Nice to see LG made a decent low end phone, though!
The LG Ultimate 2 (LG L41C) Tracfone accepts a micro SD card up to 64 GB.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:27 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Yea, I know.
KK still limits what apps you can move to the SD card, though. And are most people savvy enough to know how to move the default camera location to the SD card?
IMO no phone should come with 8GB or onboard memory anymore even if it has SD. Nor 16. 32 should be the minimum.
But now we are really OT.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:55 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
My LG Lucid I believe came with 8GB and I never had a problem. My pics and videos would eventually max it out but it just meant it was time to download them and clean out the phone. I hate having a million pics on my phone. I suppose if you play games and stuff though it may run out quickly. But for someone who just uses it as a phone/camera 8GB is fine in my opinion.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:38 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Actually, you might be okay with a non-smartphone. The battery will last longer and the phone won't go out of date as quickly. They are usually under $50.
That's cuz they are never "in date". I have five year old flip and slider phones that work OK for placing calls and difficult texting. Don't use them or want them. We love our pocket computers that take great pictures and also double as mobile telephones.

But we all have different wants and needs. I like that my phone can get me unlost and find me the nearest Sushi place when I am in a strange town.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:45 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Does anyone recommend the new LG V10 ?

Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Let me qualify my comments by stating I am legally deaf-blind. I had TracFone for a long time. I liked my LG 840, but not the second LG as it was complicated to send text. I live rural. As a whole I liked the LG, Samsung, Motorola and iPhone I used on the AT&T GSM network and the Verizon CDMA network. What I did not like at all is the extra $25 taxes my state and city added for the priviledge of using my $100 smartphoe where I live. Every state does this. The only difference is the cost. .

How well your cellphone works depends upon how well you know who your available wireless network carriers are, and what sevices they provide. Cheap phones genearlly do not work well anywhere.

LTE is not as common as the carriers want you to believe. It is basically in areas where one finds 200 pr more communities Chicago suburbs is an example. Otherwise the common wireless service available across America is 2G/3G/4G. The G phones are backward compatible to 2G. LTE is not, but if you have a 3G/4G HSPA you do. LTE is the 4G gold standard.

The other thing is to understand the unlocked SIM and tje difference between GSM and CDMA. GSM is AT&T and its myriad of carriers across America. The SIM card contains your personal incormation. It works on the GSM network which is world wide. What this means is if you are an intenational traveler, and your unlocked SIM slot can be used with a purchased SIM card in every country you visit. Collect the SIM cards and renew each when you visit the same countries again. Some smartphones have dual SIM slots. Only oneslot is local and only one is international. You will never have a reason to remove the SIM card at home unless you change carriers. This is because FCC ensures ALL GSM carriers ACCEPT ALL GSM phones with unlocked SIM cards. It is a huge benefit because CDMA phones do not use SIM cards. However Verizon is now selling a LTE phone that has an unloced SIM card for international travelers..

Cellphone plans. With the unlocked SIM the user can purchase any GSM phone from any seller and buy any plan from any GSM reseller. I am here to tell you I do not pay my state and extra $25 monthly tax to use my wireless smartphone, and I do not have a contract. I didn't pay $100 to set up my phone either. How I did this was avoid the brick and mortar stores who are obligated to report tax money colletcted on sales in my state. I didn't pay $65+ taxes to Walmat or Walmart Family for a SIM card, activation and one month service. I didn't pay Cricket $75 +taxes for the same. I paid $34.98 +$1.29 tax for the SIM card, activation and 1 month service. Thereafer with credit card prepaid my services is $27.99 Read the contracts. You get what you pay for. I do not spend much time texting or talking on a cellphone because it is difficult for me; I prefer the house phone and computer. I found my plan at www. connectusmobile.com because it offers many different types of plans and they will soon offer CDMA phones and plans, too. .

Phones. I wanted an Android that is not terribley complicated. I bought a BLU Studio XL phablet from Amazon.It is a 2G/3G/4G. I am very pleased. It works fine on AT&T where the service exists. .

There are only two wireless carriers in America. Each has several resellers. You get the same AT&T service from Cricket, T-Mob ile, and Metro PCS that you do from Black Wireless or Ptel.com. You get the same Verizon CDMA service from Sprint. The difference is Sprint is not an open network it is closed to unlocked phones. There are large swaths of America where there is only one wireless carrier and large swaths where there is no carrier. If you travel be aware of it. This is the reason I still take a CB radio with me when I travel cross country. Android phones are very much alike from seller to seller. Mine came with the Opera browser nstalled. It is speedy.

Last edited by linicx; 12-31-2015 at 10:14 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 05:11 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
... How well your cellphone works depends upon how well you know who your available wireless network carriers are, and what sevices they provide. Cheap phones genearlly do not work well anywhere. ...
Thanks for a great explanation about the different types of cell phones & carriers! It was helpful to read.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:14 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Is anyone familiar with this debacle ?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/latest-cl...134514096.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones