Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 587 times

Advertisements

Re: Georgia

In response to the comments regarding SafeLink and government phones in general, they are subsidized by tracfone...not the actual government ( not sure about the minutes) so it isn't costing tax payers much if anything. I just wanted to respond to the suggestion that they simply use a payphone. I don't know if you have noticed but at least here in Washington state they have removed all of the public payphone. I just saw one for the first time in years, and believe me I have looked many times. That makes it nearly impossible to make a phone call in an emergency or for any important reason. People are not very giving when it comes to borrowing a phone from a business or asking a complete stranger. I know this because my phone actually froze up on me and I was in a predicament where I needed to desperately make a call! Nevertheless, it isn't a society where one can function without some form of communication. It's too bad but an unfortunate fact in today's ago of technology. I understand frustrations with people who want endless handouts with very little effort put out. Those people make the good people suffer in the way of public opinion. I will say that they are making some changes in my state regarding food stamps. For the last few years all a perfectly healthy able bodied individual had to do was be unemployed and they could get them. Now that actually hits the tax payers pocket book. I am a pretty liberal minded person who believes in helping those that need it, but there will always be those " breeders" as I call them who simply work the system wherever they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 09:47 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
I haven't seen a payphone in my area in at least 30 years. Virtually anyone can afford a prepaid phone in this day and age. Virtually all of the government sponsored phones have very few calling minutes per month. I don't judge those using those phones and don't think anybody should either. Some folks do abuse such benefits but I think it is a small percentage of total users.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones