Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 02:04 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

While we were never big fans of Verizon Wireless's "Can you hear me now?" commercials, we found that the TV spots did sum up many of the frustrations many cell phone users at the time were having with their carriers: Poor signals and even poorer call quality.

Study Finds One-In-Four Cell Phone Calls Suck - Switched: Gadgets, Tech, Digital Stuff for the Rest of Us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:35 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Well for me, it's been years since I've had serious reception issues with my phone....but I've only had two service carriers ever ~ T-Mobile and Sprint. The only place that sticks out in my mind where my phones do no work is my Father's house; where no one's phone seems to work (unless you have a Nextel).

I've noticed a major improvement from when I got my first Sprint cellphone back in 1999; and talking on the phone in the car was just about impossible because the call would just keep dropping. That's not a problem for me anymore anywhere I drive now.

However, I am annoyed at how un-user friendly cell phones are. And it seems to be getting worse (I found my cell phones from 3+ years ago were more intuitive to use than my new phones). Also, why have phones store the address book and other personal information locally? I had to buy two phones last year, and what a royal pain it is to enter in your phone book. We have the technology where you can just connect to a server somewhere, and "viola" all of your contacts are downloaded to your phone. If Google can do it for free, why can't these cell phone companies do it while they continue to take my $60 per month?

Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post

However, I am annoyed at how un-user friendly cell phones are. And it seems to be getting worse (I found my cell phones from 3+ years ago were more intuitive to use than my new phones). Also, why have phones store the address book and other personal information locally? I had to buy two phones last year, and what a royal pain it is to enter in your phone book. We have the technology where you can just connect to a server somewhere, and "viola" all of your contacts are downloaded to your phone. If Google can do it for free, why can't these cell phone companies do it while they continue to take my $60 per month?

My phone numbers transfered over when I got a new phone- even though I had lost the first phone and didn't have a SIM card. I have no idea how that worked, however.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My phone numbers transfered over when I got a new phone- even though I had lost the first phone and didn't have a SIM card. I have no idea how that worked, however.
Did the company do it? or was it automatic?

Mine I can store on a SIM card and move over. With my new phone, Im sure I can export via MicroSD card, AND I know I can do it over bluetooth.

my cell reception sucks right now, and I think its because my phone keeps jumping from partner carrier to partner carrier. (I'm a T-mobile customer living in a T-Mobile partner area)

Old 02-14-2008, 12:08 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Personally, I'd be happy if 1 in 4 calls I get are actually for me. A big apartment company misprinted my number as their management number.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:22 PM

311 posts, read 1,057,997 times
My phone's reception truly sucks because of Bell's inferior coverage across NL.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:47 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Also, why have phones store the address book and other personal information locally? I had to buy two phones last year, and what a royal pain it is to enter in your phone book. We have the technology where you can just connect to a server somewhere, and "viola" all of your contacts are downloaded to your phone. If Google can do it for free, why can't these cell phone companies do it while they continue to take my $60 per month?
Verizon does this for free. It's called Backup Assistant.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 AM

783 posts, read 2,586,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
Verizon does this for free. It's called Backup Assistant.
thank's for the info I never knew that and have verizon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones