Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 09:36 AM

455 posts, read 388,835 times

Advertisements

I fell off the cell phone wagon years ago and have been only using a cheap pre-paid plan for years. The phone has only been for emergencies so I haven't needed much.

As time goes on, I'm finding that I need more in a cell phone but not by much.

I just need a phone that I can talk, text and get an uber. I'm not asking for much and would not use it often since I work from home and have a soft phone and a land line. We may cancel the landline all together and just use the cell phone but it HAS to have good quality.

There are just too many options out there and I am way behind on the technology.

Any guidance would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 10:25 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Congrats on the decision to rely on a cell phone and drop the landline. We dropped our landline about 5 years ago and haven't missed it one bit. Why pay $600 a year for something we didn't need. We did need cell phones for safety, business and travel. Mrs5150 had a medical emergency while driving 5 years ago and I am convinced her ability to call 911 from her car saved her life.

So there are two factors to consider: call quality and having a provider that works well at home and where you travel. The provider is something I can't advise as it depends where you live. But I would suggest starting with Verizon, ATT and T-Mobile. Verizon has the best coverage. ATT next then T-Mobile. Visit their websites and check out their plans and phones. In rural areas T-Mobile is lacking-still. Avoid Sprint.

Since you mentioned Uber, we're talking a smart phone and a small data plan. Call quality means you want a better phone. On my Verizon iPhone 6s people can't tell I am not on a landline. I cannot speak for all Android devices, but my son's Samsung S7 is also excellent in call quality on the ATT network.

Go with an older model smartphone that was top of the line (flagship) in its day like the S7 or iPhone 6s or SE to save some money We pay $87 (total) a month for two lines with Verizon and a 4gig plan-I do get a small gov't employee discount. Retail is $90 plus about $5 in taxes and fees. ATT is about the same

Old 03-15-2018, 04:27 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,256,227 times
Metro PCS is on T-Mobiles network but cost much less, you might also wish to look into them if T-Mobile has good coverage in the areas you travel, as for your home, Metro PCS as well as T-Mobile and other carriers too have wifi calling, so they use your home wifi as a tower when home, I would be sure the carrier and phone that you decide on has wifi calling, it makes for much better coverage when at home, unless you happen to live very close to a cell tower, most of us don't.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:08 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,357,961 times
Tracfone runs on Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. It's prepaid, and great for low- to medium- usage people. You can bring your own device, or get a Tracfone-branded phone with a bundle of t/t/d.

What amount of talk/text/data are you using now, and what do you anticipate your usage will be in future?

Old 03-23-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Tracfone runs on Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. It's prepaid, and great for low- to medium- usage people. You can bring your own device, or get a Tracfone-branded phone with a bundle of t/t/d.

What amount of talk/text/data are you using now, and what do you anticipate your usage will be in future?
I use virtually nothing which is why this is so hard. I maybe use 48 minutes a year on my cell phone and maybe 10 texts.....in a year!! My spouse uses about the same.

Although if we get rid of the land line that will go up considerably.

I think I mentioned that I work from home and have a soft phone (this connects to my computer) although sometimes I loose the connection and call in from my landline. If I get rid of the landline then I'll probably route my cell through the landline so I can still use the landline phone but will be using cell phone usage.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Metro PCS is on T-Mobiles network but cost much less, you might also wish to look into them if T-Mobile has good coverage in the areas you travel, as for your home, Metro PCS as well as T-Mobile and other carriers too have wifi calling, so they use your home wifi as a tower when home, I would be sure the carrier and phone that you decide on has wifi calling, it makes for much better coverage when at home, unless you happen to live very close to a cell tower, most of us don't.
Extremely good remember about the Wi-fi calling, I always forget about that....very good point.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oelyvier View Post
We have metroPCS and just cancelled our landline. We pay $50 a month for 2 lines. I think that's the cheapest you can get for unlimited. You do buy your own phone though. Oh actually they do have free phones offers.
I like that price! I'll have to check out coverage. Previously (10 years ago) Verizon was the only coverage that worked in my house but I suspect that has changed now.

If I'm going cell phone I suspect I'll get a fancy phone, go big or go home I don't mind spending more on the phone, it's just the monthly bill that I don't like.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
I can't help with the physical phone (I'm on a flip from 2009, only have it because my wife thinks I'll die somewhere alone without it), but the best bang-for-the-buck Plan is from Red Pocket (a MVNO, reseller on all networks). Use next to nothing? You can get a $60/YEAR plan that has 500mb data, 100 talk minutes and 100 texts per month:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Pocket-...EAAOSwrXdar-~y

Need a little more? $100/YEAR for 500 each mb/talk/text per month:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Pocket-...kAAOSwuhFaRwWV

This sounds like what would work best for you.

When it comes to the device, I'd suggest shopping for a year old phone. Last time I bought one for my wife (3 years ago), I paid ~$200 for the prior years $800 flagship. Swappa.com tends to have the most selection/traffic.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:36 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I can't help with the physical phone (I'm on a flip from 2009, only have it because my wife thinks I'll die somewhere alone without it), but the best bang-for-the-buck Plan is from Red Pocket (a MVNO, reseller on all networks). Use next to nothing? You can get a $60/YEAR plan that has 500mb data, 100 talk minutes and 100 texts per month:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Pocket-...EAAOSwrXdar-~y

Need a little more? $100/YEAR for 500 each mb/talk/text per month:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Pocket-...kAAOSwuhFaRwWV

This sounds like what would work best for you.

When it comes to the device, I'd suggest shopping for a year old phone. Last time I bought one for my wife (3 years ago), I paid ~$200 for the prior years $800 flagship. Swappa.com tends to have the most selection/traffic.

For some reason, the bolded conjured up a memory of my mother telling me that, when she was a young girl, my great grandmother was often trying to get her to put a sweater on..."You're going to get cold" .

Old 03-24-2018, 11:00 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
What is a "soft phone" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones