Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Android or IOS
Android 12 44.44%
IOS (Apple) 10 37.04%
I don't have a preference 2 7.41%
Never tried android 0 0%
Never tried IOS 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 05:35 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,860,337 times

Advertisements

I've seen those numbers. I was talking on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 07:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I had 3 different Androids over the last 6 years, and switch to I-phone in May. Overall, I prefer the I-phone, but miss a few of the Android features. Mostly the I-phone photo/video and apps are better, and the battery lasts a lot longer (70% left at end of day compared to 50% on the android even when new). Not crazy about Safari, so I still use Google and Firefox.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:24 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Here's the flaw in your logic:

It's possible that Windows Phones are awesome. Most people I've talked to who've had one hated them. Sure I've known some folks who loved the things, but with less than 5% market share nationally and globally, it doesn't make sense to compare Windows with Android or iOS. On the up-side, Windows phones are running neck and neck with Blackberry for market share!
These numbers are old, and aren't nearly that good for Windows Phone anymore.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:45 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
No Windows Phone option? There's actually a fair amount of WP users on this forum & I'd be curious to see the #. At least compared to other forums. And the WP isn't completely dead yet.
if anything i think cyanogenmod should get love.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:46 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
I think there are 3 users on this forum with WinPhone... Still pretty dismal...

And do we really need to have this conversation again????

Old 10-03-2016, 09:59 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,731,625 times
Quote:
The problem is that the numbers have only gotten worse since then. If a big powerful company with as much clout as Microsoft can't break into the market with their phone -- then people probably genuinely hate their phones.

It's probably not so much that Windows Phones are so terrible. I expect it's a combination of other things. iPhones were the first modern smartphone, so they were the very first smartphone for lots of folks. Android came onto the scene shortly thereafter, offered a better priced phone and became the very first smartphone for a lot of people

Microsoft did what Microsoft always does: They showed up way, way, way late to the party. (Just like they did with making word processors, spreadsheets, databases, internet browsers, video games, video game consoles, etc.) This time around, showing up way late again just didn't work out. The market was saturated long before the first Windows Phone went on the market. When people think of a smartphone they either want the look and feel to be Android or they want it to look and feel like IOS. Windows Mobile OS was a completely different animal altogether and most people absolutely hated that fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
These numbers are old, and aren't nearly that good for Windows Phone anymore.
I didn't find the more recent numbers, but I know exactly what you're talking about. Windows OS has an absolutely plummeting market share on mobile devices. Windows Phones just didn't catch on and they're now going the way of Symbian and Blackberry and so many others. I've no clue what Microsoft can do to turn things around for the Windows Phone. In every other arena they've shown up late for, they've managed to throw enough money and other resources around to establish themselves and a major player anyways. This is the first time I can think of where Microsoft is determined to get in the game and can't.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:42 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Microsoft did what Microsoft always does: They showed up way, way, way late to the party. (Just like they did with making word processors, spreadsheets, databases, internet browsers, video games, video game consoles, etc.)
I agree with much of what you said... but not all this. Yes, MS is often late to the party, but they haven't been leaders in many areas you point out. Not followers.

They showed up late... with Office? I suppose technically they did, but you can't really compare Wordperfect which was around before Microsoft, THE COMPANY, was formed to Office. They came, saw, conquered.
Browsers? IE came out in 1995? Netscape Navigator... in 94? That's hardly being late to the party.

The Xbox? This is just a case of "let's try and break into this market". Someone had to do it. Nintendo was no match for Sony. But I suppose you could say they were late with that.

Not really even late to Mobile. I still have my Moto Q with WinMobile 6.0 on it. Or was it 5? They were just never, simply put: good at mobile. They were late to trying to make a FUN phone not geared to just business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones