Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 07:35 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
We aren't doing anything the planets and the stars are not already able to do.

And some religious types might learn to warm up to the fact that radiation was the one method their god used to create life hereabouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 02:38 AM

1,487 posts, read 781,650 times
Default 5g

A more immediate concern will be having to get another cellphone. No smartphones except the Galaxy 7 & beyond will be 5G compatible. I have no knowledge of Iphones, never had one.
Just imagine a whole world of people having to purchase another cellphone.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:19 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,825,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Just imagine a whole world of people having to purchase another cellphone.

I'd like to see statistics of how often the average person replaces their cell phone.
I know a few first-adopters who get the next phone the week they come out, and sell their old one on the used market.

Most people I know get a new phone every 2-3 years. I'm not sure if it's to match the typical 2-year plan, or vise-versa (plan designed to match the expected phone replacement).

A few I know wait for 3-5 years.

It will take several years for the 5G system to be deployed, since existing antennas are insufficient, and the 5G system requires MANY more (but smaller) ones, so getting full coverage will take time, (read $$$).

Since the cell phone industry isn't that well known for it's generosity and charitable acts, I suspect that they've done extensive economic studies, so that by the time the 5G phones are becoming moderately available to the market, the markets (heavily populated areas, at least), will have the antennas deployed. Ready for high-super-extra-ultra-gazzowee speed data plans (at a higher cost).

Old 08-09-2018, 08:18 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Still waiting to hear if I should be worried here. Because today... yea, not even a little bit.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:41 PM

46 posts, read 24,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Ever seen pics of New York City back in the day? People survived that.

Did they?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...40673692932137

The incidence of schizophrenia was 1·65 times higher (95% confidence interval 1·19-2·28) among men brought up in cities than in those who had had a rural upbringing. The association persisted despite adjustment for other factors associated with city life such as cannabis use, parental divorce, and family history of psychiatric disorder.
This finding cannot be explained by the widely held notion that people with schizophrenia drift into cities at the beginning of their illness. We conclude that undetermined environmental factors found in cities increase the risk of schizophrenia.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:19 PM

There is some interesting talk floating around out there about anxiety, urban living, shenjing shuairuo [nerve weakness] and neurasthenia spectrum disorders.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:32 PM

Here's another study [from England] that has similar, eerie results to my previous post above:

https://webarchive.nationalarchives....awareness.html

Why/how on earth did brain cancer incidence level-off after the cellphone boom began?

Old 02-02-2019, 03:48 PM

447 posts, read 208,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm more concerned about my cat killing me quietly in the night.
THIS is why dogs are mans best friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones