Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,768 times

Advertisements

I have been sitting on this for a few months right now. I really, really want one. Those of you that have had one or perhaps found out more info than I have:

1. Is there any mention of the next generation being released within the next six months?

2. Is there any mention of price going down relatively soon, like in the next month or so?

3. Overall how do you like it? Pros and cons and how well is it holding up for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 05:52 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,506,208 times
1) Why do you want it?

2) What do you need the features for?

3) Can you afford it?

4) Do you want to use AT&T?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
The 8GB iPhone is the first generation one, and I believe that the 16GB iPhone is the next one, although I have no idea if it's already on the market. My boss, a heavy-core PC users bought the 8GB iPhone a few months ago, and he loves it to the point that now he is thinking about a MaCBook Pro laptop. He tells me that he has enough room in his iPod for all the music or movies he needs, and has no plans to upgrade to the 16GB one. The features remain the same, I believe, and the main difference is the jump from an 8GB solid state drive to a 16GB one.

Maybe you can find the details here:
Apple - iPhone - Questions and Answers (broken link)

Old 04-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
1. Is there any mention of the next generation being released within the next six months?

2. Is there any mention of price going down relatively soon, like in the next month or so?
Apple is notorious for keeping advance information like this bottled up and away from the public. Even if someone claims to know Apple's plans, you should be skeptical.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,378,219 times
I have had my iPhone since week one. I have the 8 GB. I have no complaints. There have been numerous updates and every so often, oddly, I need to reboot.

Would I buy it again - yes in a heartbeat. Take a look at LG if you like the iPhone.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:11 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I have had my iPhone since week one. I have the 8 GB. I have no complaints. There have been numerous updates and every so often, oddly, I need to reboot.

Would I buy it again - yes in a heartbeat. Take a look at LG if you like the iPhone.
Did you know that you can download and install digital maps of your city on your iPod?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
I1. Is there any mention of the next generation being released within the next six months?

3. Overall how do you like it? Pros and cons and how well is it holding up for you?
1. Yes. 3G is rumored to be coming out soon. Of course with Apple, no one knows when.

2. Nope. It's gonna be priced as it is for awhile...however, you can get Refurbished iPhones for a little bit cheaper.

3. I have an iTouch (since I despise ATT), but I've heard it's solid. Read my other post on smartphones, and you'll see me highlight the plusses and minuses (//www.city-data.com/forum/3324602-post8.html)

Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
1) Why do you want it?

2) What do you need the features for?

3) Can you afford it?

4) Do you want to use AT&T?

1. I want it simply because, well, I just want it . My old Ipod is broken so I need another ipod and I need a new phone. Don't have a contract to worry about so I can switch carriers.

2. Ipod, VM, calendar, web. It is all for personal use, no business as yet to speak of.

3. Well I won't lose my mortgage if I buy one but I am pretty frugal and that is why I haven't simply just gone out and bought one. I was just going to get an itouch but since my contract is up I thought it might make more sense to just get an iphone and just have a really cool phone for once. Oh, and my dad is pitching in towards it for my birthday.

4. It doesn't bother me to switch to At&T. They do have the rollover minutes which my current carrier does not offer. I've called and got all the rates and plans and it is pretty darn comprable. As a matter of fact, even with the data plan I dont think I would pay more than what I am paying now with my current carrier.

I knew that Apple was notorious about keeping things hushed, but you never know if someone has a reliable source. What is the 3G and where did you hear the rumor about it?

I would buy one right this second if I knew for a fact that there wasn't a new one coming out for several months. I would be pretty pissed if I bought one and then next month they came out with a new generation. I don't consider the 16G a new generation, it is the exact same thing just more memory.

I think I have pretty much decided to get one but now my dilemma, whether or not to pay $100 more to get the 16 gig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones