Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 07:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times

Advertisements

I like my phone. My needs are simple. I've had it for over a year. But storage is limited to 8GB of internal memory. I bought a 32GB SD card, but it didn't seem to help. I took it to the phone store and the guy told me the SD card was faulty. (waste of money, it never worked right and I thought it was just the phone).

So, my option is: Buy a better brand of 128GB SD card for $34, OR buy another phone, similar to the one I have but better camera, and 16GB of internal memory, for $60. For which I might need an SD card.

I know this sounds like nickels and dimes to most of you, but I'm in a tight spot right now so spending more on a phone is not an option.

Last edited by Stagemomma; 09-08-2018 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 05:46 AM

6,480 posts, read 10,353,739 times
IMHO, I suggest you get the newer phone. As your current phone gets older the more chances it might eventually fail and you will need to buy another phone eventually. Your call......

Old 09-09-2018, 06:51 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
You are more likely to get more responses, and more likely to get accurate help, if you provide the make and model of your phone.

A generic piece of advice: you should look at your phone's Owners Manual and see what is the maximum capacity SD card it can read.

When phones first started having SD card slots, they could only take cards that were available back then, and couldn't 'talk to' the later, high-capacity, and then super-high-capacity SD cards. IE: your phone may not be able to read a 32 GB card, much less the 128GB.

RE: SD Card brand: I agree that there are brands out there that are cheap, and you should also pay attention to the SD cards "Class". This number represents how fast the card can transmit data (playing back videos, music, accessing app data). Class 10 is the fastest, and pretty much the standard now, but older and cheaper cards are still around that are lower / slower.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:42 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
You are more likely to get more responses, and more likely to get accurate help, if you provide the make and model of your phone.

A generic piece of advice: you should look at your phone's Owners Manual and see what is the maximum capacity SD card it can read.

When phones first started having SD card slots, they could only take cards that were available back then, and couldn't 'talk to' the later, high-capacity, and then super-high-capacity SD cards. IE: your phone may not be able to read a 32 GB card, much less the 128GB.

RE: SD Card brand: I agree that there are brands out there that are cheap, and you should also pay attention to the SD cards "Class". This number represents how fast the card can transmit data (playing back videos, music, accessing app data). Class 10 is the fastest, and pretty much the standard now, but older and cheaper cards are still around that are lower / slower.
The current phone is an LG Power, the potential new phone is an LG Fiesta

According to the specs, the power can take up to 256 GB. Thank you for that suggestion, it had not occurred to me!!!

I'm now looking on eBay at other options.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:24 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,797 times
Quote:

I had no idea there were different classes, either. Thank you.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:42 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:

A generic piece of advice: you should look at your phone's Owners Manual
The what?!?!? Did you save that useless 3 page "manual" from when you bought your phone?

Maybe Google it.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:11 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I like my phone. My needs are simple. I've had it for over a year. But storage is limited to 8GB of internal memory. I bought a 32GB SD card, but it didn't seem to help. I took it to the phone store and the guy told me the SD card was faulty. (waste of money, it never worked right and I thought it was just the phone).

So, my option is: Buy a better brand of 128GB SD card for $34, OR buy another phone, similar to the one I have but better camera, and 16GB of internal memory, for $60. For which I might need an SD card.

I know this sounds like nickels and dimes to most of you, but I'm in a tight spot right now so spending more on a phone is not an option.
Get a 16 GB phone and make your life a lot easier.

Those 8 GB phones are not enough to update apps. They're really only good for the apps that ship with the phone, and the Google apps. Not much else.

The real problem is that in Android, when you disable an app you don't get the storage space the app consumed back. So your ROM is still low. The apps never update, so you get the illusion of having extra storage space but that footprint is never 0 MB, it is always the amount of the space of the app. So you end up reclaiming like 1 GB because all of the apps that shipped with the phone were smaller, older, versions of the app. But then the apps you do want on the phone need space to temporarily store files and they take up that 1 GB anyway, so you're at the same place. Eventually you have to disable the apps you don't want, and clean the cache of the apps you do want, just to update the apps you want on the phone. Which means you have to set up your apps again. It is very frustrating.

On a 16 GB phone, if you stick with what the phone shipped with, that will not happen as often. You'll go from housekeeping your storage every other day or every week to doing it once every few months.

If your budget allows, finance the phone. Most phones that are offered for free on the plan or like $5 or $10 a month are 32 GB or more. I know that Straight Talk allows this as does Sprint Prepaid and some of the MVNOs like TextNow Wireless. Or you can get the phone you want on a credit card. 16 GB for less than $100 is an improvement in the marketplace but I don't see the price of 32 GB phones dropping anytime soon. The only one worth purchasing I can think of is the Apple SE 32 GB which you can usually find for less than $100 if you know where to look.

Last edited by goofy328; 09-10-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The what?!?!? Did you save that useless 3 page "manual" from when you bought your phone? Maybe Google it.

You're thinking of the Quick Start guide. My Samsung G4 Users Manual has 147 pages.
And yes, I did Googling it and found a PDF version to download (so I could search for keywords).

Old 09-12-2018, 02:33 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
IMHO, I suggest you get the newer phone. As your current phone gets older the more chances it might eventually fail and you will need to buy another phone eventually. Your call......
I tend to agree. Maybe buy the $60 phone.
Sell the LG Power on Craigslist for $20-$30.
You get a new phone and cash in the old one so your purse can rationalize.

Do you really need a 128GB card?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-Ult...Condition=1000

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 09-12-2018 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones