Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 04:54 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

I just found out I'm eligible for a cell upgrade, and since I've been REALLY annoyed with my current phone (Samsung Blackjack - AT&T), I'd like to take advantage of that... but I need some help choosing, since the salespeople are generally useless. I would like a smartphone, mainly for the PDA functions - calendar, address book, organizer, and so forth. Music player isn't important but I wouldn't mind it, and I need internet capabilities. I tried the Palm Treo last year, and hated it so much I returned it... too bulky and had lots of glitches, among other things. I'm thinking of trying the Blackberry Pearl or Curve, Palm Centro, Pantech Duo, or that AT&T Tilt phone. My budget is roughly $150, and I think these phones are in that range with my upgrade & rebates. Any thoughts you all can share with me, or other suggestions? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:36 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
I'm speaking from a corporate environment - you want to go with blackberry. I've gone through Treo's and MS Mobile devices.... the Treo's are nice but as you said, can be bulky. The MS Mobile interface is horrendous IMO. Not to mention that the software is about as usable as a Windows95 machine.

The blackberry has been around for a long time in the corporate environment, so the business tools available are numerous. In addition, I find the display to be much better than the competitors I've used (Treo and Motorola Q). Is it flawless? Absolutely not..... but I've had less trouble with it than I've had with both the Treo and Q.

The only feature I like have is a stylus function - which was a big + on the Treo. The blackberry I have is the 8830 world... which is a bit different from the Pearl. But many of my co-workers have the Pearl and have shared the same opinion... the only difference is the 8830 has a full key board (hence a bit bigger).

YMMV of course.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:39 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Thanks for the info... I've been leaning toward the Blackberry, since everyone I know who's had one has been happy. But like you, I agree the stylus function is nice - though it also causes some problems, as I discovered with my Treo. Anyway, thanks again!

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-19-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 AM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
I am considering the BB 8830 too. The only difference in BB8830 and Pearl is
the size of touch pad? Which would be easier for typing out text messages
or IM chats? This would be my very first cell phone.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
I am considering the BB 8830 too. The only difference in BB8830 and Pearl is
the size of touch pad? Which would be easier for typing out text messages
or IM chats? This would be my very first cell phone.
Pretty much, but also a bigger screen.... the 8830 is also an International phone... if that's an requirement, you'll need to have that to use it outside of the U.S.

For typing text messages and IM chats, the Pearl may actually be easier because the buttons are larger (i.e. if your using one hand) and the "smart type" feature on those are VERY good (but can be PITA when typing in last names and single phrases).... I'd check both out if you are in the market.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:04 PM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Thanks MacRoy! Will check them both out.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,956 times
Default Check out the (unlocked) Nokia N series Smartphones

Smartphone I currently use is an unlocked Nokia N95 with 8gigs of internal memory. I played around with the Crackberries and Treo's but found out they all had restrictions here and there plus you have to sign up for data plans you might hardly need - both the Nokia N80ie and the N95 have wifi built in as well as GPS and a few other goodies which most smartphones are now being packed with in the US.

Reason I chose the Nokia N95 is the wifi capability - which means anywhere I go and there is a hotspot I can jump online check email etc, etc, without being tied to a data plan from my provider. Secondly I can sync my calendar with Outlook and Gmail and a few others on the fly. Thirdly its so small and light you won't even know its in your pocket.

Based on your price range the Crackberry might be your best option but remember you will need a data plan with that through your provider.

=======================

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I just found out I'm eligible for a cell upgrade, and since I've been REALLY annoyed with my current phone (Samsung Blackjack - AT&T), I'd like to take advantage of that... but I need some help choosing, since the salespeople are generally useless. I would like a smartphone, mainly for the PDA functions - calendar, address book, organizer, and so forth. Music player isn't important but I wouldn't mind it, and I need internet capabilities. I tried the Palm Treo last year, and hated it so much I returned it... too bulky and had lots of glitches, among other things. I'm thinking of trying the Blackberry Pearl or Curve, Palm Centro, Pantech Duo, or that AT&T Tilt phone. My budget is roughly $150, and I think these phones are in that range with my upgrade & rebates. Any thoughts you all can share with me, or other suggestions? TIA!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:41 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,284 times
If I were with ATT, I would get the iPhone, hands down.

First of all, I admit - I'm a huge fan of Apple products, but to me, it's the perfect phone. First of all, yes, it does function as a phone, so you can make/receive calls, and all that jazz. If you want to text message, they have a nice app for SMS. You can take pictures, surf the internet, organize photos on your iPhone, all this stuff. Then, when you add in the fact it's the coolest iPod ever created, that nullifies a need for a music player (if you're always on the move).

Now, the drawback is obviously the price. It's a ton of money, and you need to be extremely careful with it, but you can find it cheaper refurbished if you're really dying for it. Also, ATT has made the data plan extra now, so you can just get the iPhone by itself if you want...

In the true sense of the word, it's not a true PDA. However, it does have a calendar, an Address Book, e-mail, Safari browser, so it easily functions as one.

If you are anti-Apple/don't have the money/don't desire the iPhone, I'd go with the Centro. Before the iPhone, my Palm was essential, and to have it with a phone also seems very cool.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:47 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,465 times
I'm not sure if you're willing to switch from AT&T, but i recently purchased the "Touch" and am very impressed! I don't think AT&T offers it though as its an iphone competitor.

Sprint, Alltel, and soon to be Verizon carry it. Its made by HTC and is a very slick device. I'd check it out at the HTC website. (I think its just HTC.com )

I was just do for the subsidized upgrade (like you are now) and it only cost me $149, after the rebate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones