Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 11:49 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
With Verizon. I’m glad my older iPhone works on everything. CDMA was pretty marginal with one bar. GSM works so much better
Technically, Verizon & Sprint don't use GSM. They use VOLTE or CDMA where still available. VOLTE does use a SIM card like T-mobile and At&t have for several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 12:07 PM

84 posts, read 43,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The networks can and will be shut down sooner than later. When At&t shut down Analog and 2G on their networks they sent free 3G (GSM) phones to customers affected by the shutdown with no additional contract or obligation. There is no reason to assume that Verizon will or won't do the same. Verizon originally said they would shut down CDMA at the end of 2019 but pushed it back after they realized that too many users would be cut off. Closer to the end of the year, I suspect that affected users with the older technology devices will be given various incentives to upgrade. Verizon has not activated any CDMA devices for almost a year or more.

This whole debate is like complaining that you cannot buy leaded gasoline for your '58 Chevy any longer.
couldnt they at least leave it there for 911 service, because there is a law about it saying all phones must have access to emergency service regardless

Old 04-10-2020, 02:10 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMY3GFONE View Post
couldnt they at least leave it there for 911 service, because there is a law about it saying all phones must have access to emergency service regardless
This shouldn't be a burden of providers.

I feel a better way to do this would for the FCC to fund a very small amount of lower band (600Mhz or below) for emergency cell phone use only. Providers could be required to support this on their towers, but make it available to all phone (regardless of provider). That way providers can focus on their business.

Old 04-10-2020, 03:20 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Once the technology is dead and buried, how can it be supported ? I am willing to bet the FCC has no provisions that CDMA must be supported into perpetuity.

Cell phone companies in the US no longer provide support on Analog phones, do you think should have available spectrum to support it still ? It's not like the pending shut down of CDMA hasn't been made well known. Verizon did originally announce they would completely shut it down at the end of Dec 2019 but pushed it back another year. Who knows for certain it might not be pushed back to a later date ?

Old 04-10-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Once the technology is dead and buried, how can it be supported ? I am willing to bet the FCC has no provisions that CDMA must be supported into perpetuity.
?
i mean, well, cell companies have no right to block 911 access from certian phones

Old 04-10-2020, 05:52 PM

So i did some real deep thinking for a while, ive come to a conclusion that if verizon never shut down any networks and keep introducing more networks over time, they could make more money over time, and if they detect zero activated users on one network (excepting brand new ones), they could leave a sliver for emergency calls only

now isnt that an idea

Old 04-11-2020, 10:37 AM

so ive been doing research all night and heres what i have found so far:

verizon is actually trying to force people off the 3G network by scaring them off the network

once no ones using it, they can legally shut it down

and legally shut it down means NO ONE ON IT FOR AT LEAST 1 YEAR

so if at least one person is still using it, legally they cant shut it down

how would they find out? well if you activated a CDMA phone before 2018, it would stay active till you deactivate it

keep this all in mind

Old 04-14-2020, 06:21 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
No one needs to keep this in mind. Why the #$%^ do you want to keep 3g so effing bad? What is this awesome 3g phone you're rocking?

Old 04-14-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No one needs to keep this in mind. Why the #$%^ do you want to keep 3g so effing bad? What is this awesome 3g phone you're rocking?
My casio GzOne ravine that i had since i was nine and would never give up for anything, plus i rely mostly on the emergency call service that would get cut off if the network was gone, plus the ravine seems to be the strongest of all the rugged phones ive tortured

Old 04-15-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Holy 25-year old legacy digital communications technology, they still use CDMA? I thought that would have gone the way of AMPS by now!
there is still more people who rely on it

if verizon actually shuts it down im 1 mm away from roiting them like i did (unsucsessfully) when at&t shut down 2g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones