Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 06:19 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
No idea why this is in the internet thread but I get, sometimes, half a dozen+ spoofed calls on my landline (cell too - "they" just randomly call up numbers, don't answer.
OP here. I don't know why its in the Internet thread either. I originally posted it in the Computers thread, but it got moved. I could have posted it in any one of these, Cell Phones and Smartphones, Computers, Consumer Electronics, Internet, Space, Tablets. Computers looked as good as good as any of the others. If I had posted it in the Cell Phones and Smartphones thread, it would probably have stayed. But wherever it ends up is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 05:42 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
Telephone survey response rate is now down to 6%:
Phone survey response rates decline again | Pew Research Center

I remember news commentator Paul Harvey mentioning many years ago that survey calls had only a 1/3 response rate.

This means there is a good chance that telephone surveys will go away due to cost. Expanding the Do Not Call list to include surveys, non-profits, and political calls would also help.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:18 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but in the past couple of months the number of spam calls I get has dropped significantly. I wonder if it's because I don't just hang up. I waste their time, cuss them out, ask pointed questions, and -- when possible -- call them back about 20 times in a row.

Last edited by phetaroi; 03-17-2019 at 12:41 PM..

Old 03-17-2019, 12:38 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but in the past couple of months the number of spam calls I get had dropped significantly. I wonder if it's because I don't just hang up. I waste their time, cuss them out, ask pointed questions, and -- when possible -- call them back about 20 times in a row.
I have done the same and mine have increased. I think, once you answer, they know there is a live body at that number, so they just sell it to another spammer.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:39 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,641 times
The "Do Not Call" list is a joke as were most pieces of Bu$h II-era legislation. It was built so that anybody who wanted (good opportunity to work on your social engineering skills!) actually could get entire markets worth of phone numbers for a marginal fee, proving its uselessness!

When I get an automated solicitation call these days I hit "1" to get them on the line and just babble jibberish to them. Yes, I am serious. No blacklists or spending money on extra equipment necessary. Sometimes they play along but most of the time they just give up and hang up. The idea is to waste their time and give them the impression you're not serious about their pitch. Eventually they'll just stop calling altogether. Look up some of Shango066's more recent TV or radio repair posts on Youtube, often he's interrupted about halfway into a video by solicitors and demonstrates this.

Yes, you laugh and scoff and are probably pounding out your typically snarky, nasty reply at this very moment, but I've gotten my nuisance calls down to about two a week from about eight a week over the past month and a half or so of doing it. Plus it's fun.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:41 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I have done the same and mine have increased. I think, once you answer, they know there is a live body at that number, so they just sell it to another spammer.
Perhaps. But when you reduce a spam caller to tears, maybe it works.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:33 PM

577 posts, read 493,472 times
The scammer/robocalls industry is using some of the most advanced communication technology out here today. We removed our landline phone because of scammers and spoofs absolutely wearing us out daily.

And we would LOVE to have it back, as the desk phone was easier for us to use than our handheld cell phones.

I have a TracFone flip open "burner" cell phone that I buy minute cards to use. I only turn it on when my wife is out and about, just in case her car breaks down or she has a question for me. My cell phone number is not listed anywhere.

Still everyday if I leave my cell phone on, I will get 3 -7 robo/spoof calls that shows the caller's number on my phones caller ID screen, and it has my AREA code in it.

Just another trick they are using now, to get the person to answer the phone while thinking it may be someone you know.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:37 PM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
This means there is a good chance that telephone surveys will go away due to cost. Expanding the Do Not Call list to include surveys, non-profits, and political calls would also help.
They specifically exempted those groups from the Do Not Call law, since that would have interfered with THEIR annoying robocallers.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:27 PM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
They specifically exempted those groups from the Do Not Call law, since that would have interfered with THEIR annoying robocallers.
Unfortunately true. I wrote to my congressman in 2017 about extending the Do Not Call list to non-profits, surveys, and political calls. I did not get an answer, but I did get 2 or 3 robocalls from the congressman. I don't know if the robocalls were due to contempt for the voter, or due to stupidity. I voted an issues ballet in the last primary, and will probably do the same this year. I stopped donating to a political party because my donations were wasted in additional appeals for more money. This does not seem to be enough, which is why I went to an issues only ballet.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:46 PM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Unfortunately true. I wrote to my congressman in 2017 about extending the Do Not Call list to non-profits, surveys, and political calls. I did not get an answer, but I did get 2 or 3 robocalls from the congressman. I don't know if the robocalls were due to contempt for the voter, or due to stupidity. I voted an issues ballet in the last primary, and will probably do the same this year. I stopped donating to a political party because my donations were wasted in additional appeals for more money. This does not seem to be enough, which is why I went to an issues only ballet.
You seem to see this issue clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones