Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 06:03 PM

15,951 posts, read 7,012,752 times

Advertisements

It is an awful feeling when you have to use your phone and it alerts you that my storage is full and cannot do a thing - send mail, download app for parking, nothing until you clear it.

The bar that displays on 6 SE shows 15.5 GB of 16 GB is used. I deleted Itunes, ALL my photos, and several other Apps. It is still the same although that alert is gone. However half the bar is Gray - Other.
How do I clear the other - I know what is in it - I googled.
I cleared ALL the website data from safari - no change. it still shows 45.4 MD of document&data.
Help!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 07:42 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
A reset/restore and set up as new.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:12 PM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is an awful feeling when you have to use your phone and it alerts you that my storage is full and cannot do a thing - send mail, download app for parking, nothing until you clear it.

The bar that displays on 6 SE shows 15.5 GB of 16 GB is used. I deleted Itunes, ALL my photos, and several other Apps. It is still the same although that alert is gone. However half the bar is Gray - Other.
How do I clear the other - I know what is in it - I googled.
I cleared ALL the website data from safari - no change. it still shows 45.4 MD of document&data.
Help!
Thanks
45.5 MB of document and data isn't much. Deleting it shouldn't make any difference.
There is something else going on.

Go to Settings - Apps, sort by size, then click on every single app to force it stop. Then click on Storage and clear cache. Repeat till you're done with all your apps.

When you're at it, check for notifications and block it, leave it on only on email and messenger apps - if that's important to you.

After you finish, go through all your apps and see if you really need all of the big ones. Decide if you can disable some of the rarely used. Weather, maps and games apps usually use lots of space.
Do you need Word, Excel and Power Point apps?
No? Disable them.
Keep your apps updated. (How many apps you have?)

Delete all animated wallpapers. Check on your widgets. The only widget I use is the "Device Maintenance" widget for fast and easy cleaning.
Run your Device maintenance app and see if the storage improved.
Restart your modem, restart your phone. Check on the storage again.

NOTE: as always, backup your phone first, before you do any changes on your phone.

Report back.

Watch tutorials here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jj8ZFba_lvg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8DRiMb81g4

Last edited by elnina; 03-23-2019 at 08:33 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 08:49 PM

15,951 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Thank you Mr.Geek and elnina. I did several of the things you both said. The rest/restore as new finally made the bar move. Now I have plenty of space. I got back my Podcast app and Itunes app, and I am still good.
Thank you. It always catches me by surprise at the worst time.
Do you check your storage often? I do and one day it is fine and then suddenly, boom!
What is the Device Maintenance Widget/App?

Old 03-23-2019, 08:54 PM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Thank you Mr.Geek and elnina. I did several of the things you both said. The rest/restore as new finally made the bar move. Now I have plenty of space. I got back my Podcast app and Itunes app, and I am still good.
Do you check your storage often? I do and one day it is fine and then suddenly, boom!
Check if your phone has a widget for the phone maintenance. It will be placed on your screen so you can see the state of your storage and clean it, without going to settings.
https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT207122

Glad that your storage issue is resolved!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Quote:
Glad the restore worked!

It's a mystery why iPhones do this but over time, if you never do a clean restore, it seems to grow the "Other" category. I try to restore once a year. It's a pain in the butt to set back up from scratch but it beats having no storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones