Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 08:07 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Sorry you disagree, TexasLawyer2000, but you are the misinformed one here about iPhones.

I was with Cingular/At&t when the very first iPhone was released and I know what I am talking about. The iPhone can send SMS/MMS over Wifi or over the cellular network by turning the feature on to send over Wifi or turned off will go through the cellular network.
I don't follow about iPhones being able to send SMS/MMS over wifi. SMS/MMS is a feature of carrier messaging. You can confirm this by looking at the imessage spec (the technology iPhones use over wifi). In order for it to carry a message sent as an SMS or MMS over wifi, it has to wrap it in an envelope and be sent as an imessage. Apple receives the imessage (not an sms or mms) and then makes a determination of whether the recipient has an iPhone or not. Apple will then either pass on the envelope or unwrap the sms/mms to pass onto the recipient's carrier.

Where in the spec does it specify that an sms/mms can be sent from an iphone over wifi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 08:16 AM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
To answer your question, one word, iMessage.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:24 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
To answer your question, one word, iMessage.
That doesn't answer the question. It just shows that you don't know what iMessage, SMS, and MMS is.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:27 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
That doesn't answer the question. It just shows that you don't know what iMessage, SMS, and MMS is.
Read this thread. SMS and MMS aren't supported over wifi on any phone. iMessage simply changes the object to an iMessage envelope if the message is to be sent over wifi. The actual SMS/MMS isn't sent over wifi. Apple makes a determination server-side how to send it to the recipient based on the phone they have.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I don't follow about iPhones being able to send SMS/MMS over wifi. SMS/MMS is a feature of carrier messaging. You can confirm this by looking at the imessage spec (the technology iPhones use over wifi). In order for it to carry a message sent as an SMS or MMS over wifi, it has to wrap it in an envelope and be sent as an imessage. Apple receives the imessage (not an sms or mms) and then makes a determination of whether the recipient has an iPhone or not. Apple will then either pass on the envelope or unwrap the sms/mms to pass onto the recipient's carrier.
Oh, my bad. Didn't see you mentioned the iMessage specifications. You're right.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
You are the mistaken one.

An iPhone can either convert SMS/MMS to an iMessage and send via Wifi or send as a standard text/MMS via the cellular network. The message is delivered in one of two ways: iPhone recipients can receive iMessages directly which are handled by Apple's proprietary iMessaging system and not the cellular carrier, or if the recipient does not have an iPhone, the message is received through the cellular network.

iPhone users can choose to either send using iMessage or can turn off the feature completely and send through cellular networks.

Non-iPhone users don't have the benefit to send or receive iMessages.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:06 AM

Oldgorilla, if you feel I am incorrect please feel free to enlighten me with your wisdom. We can disagree, but instead of just telling me that I am wrong, please show me the error of my ways.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:13 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
iPhones think you are less than -there are built in algorithms that send subliminal sneers whenever you text from an android

Old 05-16-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
You are the mistaken one.

An iPhone can either convert SMS/MMS to an iMessage and send via Wifi or send as a standard text/MMS via the cellular network. The message is delivered in one of two ways: iPhone recipients can receive iMessages directly which are handled by Apple's proprietary iMessaging system and not the cellular carrier, or if the recipient does not have an iPhone, the message is received through the cellular network.

iPhone users can choose to either send using iMessage or can turn off the feature completely and send through cellular networks.

Non-iPhone users don't have the benefit to send or receive iMessages.

That's exactly what we have been saying. Finally, you understand. Earlier in this thread, you kept saying that an iPhone can send SMS/MMS over wifi -- which is incorrect. The SMS/MMS is converted to an iMessage that is sent over wifi (when using wifi instead of the carrier).

Old 05-16-2020, 01:17 PM

Sorry if what I wrote earlier was confusing. I re-wrote my thoughts and it sounds more clear admittingly. My original draft was clearly not as clear in retrospect. No ill will meant to anyone. Mea Culpa......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones