Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 09:15 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times

Advertisements

I get a advertisement from Spectrum in the mail every other day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 04:31 AM

11,076 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Yes and they keep pressuring to upgrade with ad cards, letters and emails - several every week.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:48 AM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Spectrum and the other service providers operate in a market environment known as an oligopoly. Basically, there’s limited competition. In my area, there’s only AT&T, T Mobile Home Internet and Comcast. If you’re unhappy with one, there’s not many other providers to choose from, hence the lack of service. There’s no incentive for them really, to provide great service. Sad reality.

And, there probably won’t be many new providers coming as starting up a cable/internet/telecommunications company requires a lot of capital outlay, planning and regulatory clearances, among other investments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yet another story. How in the world does Spectrum stay in business? Probably their corporate structure. None of these problems have been fixed and will seemingly not ever be fixed. Just limp along.

Such mediocrity. Somebody's still making big bucks Why care about mediocrity when it saves you money and makes you bucks? Not the poster child for solid business ethics. There are worse.

Old 01-05-2022, 06:41 AM

1,097 posts, read 647,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Spectrum and the other service providers operate in a market environment known as an oligopoly. Basically, there’s limited competition. In my area, there’s only AT&T, T Mobile Home Internet and Comcast. If you’re unhappy with one, there’s not many other providers to choose from, hence the lack of service. There’s no incentive for them really, to provide great service. Sad reality.

And, there probably won’t be many new providers coming as starting up a cable/internet/telecommunications company requires a lot of capital outlay, planning and regulatory clearances, among other investments.
I can get Internet from either AT&T or Comcast, as both have wiring to the utility pole in front of my house. The wiring problems are typically the worst closest to the modem/router. So when I moved in, I wanted an unspliced wire from the utility pole to my modem. I removed the old wiring before the installer showed up because I knew they would try to tap into it. The installer questioned me why the older wire was removed, but I just played dumb. Well they managed to screw that up too. The first guy comes out and runs the new wire and everything is fine. But burying the new wire he just finished laying on the ground is not part of his job description. The second guy comes out to bury the wire, and he says the first guy did it wrong, so he spliced my brand new wire!

My experience over the years with installations is one mistake after another. It's kind of like straightening out insurance claims...they hope you either give up or die before they have to fix it. You have to be persistent.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:09 AM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I’ve had some shoddy experiences with the Spectrum field installers too. It seems that they are not trained adequately. I’ve had better customer service & installation support from AT&T, but there are other things I don’t like about AT&T.

Oh well, as another poster mentioned: “first world problems.” For sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
I can get Internet from either AT&T or Comcast, as both have wiring to the utility pole in front of my house. The wiring problems are typically the worst closest to the modem/router. So when I moved in, I wanted an unspliced wire from the utility pole to my modem. I removed the old wiring before the installer showed up because I knew they would try to tap into it. The installer questioned me why the older wire was removed, but I just played dumb. Well they managed to screw that up too. The first guy comes out and runs the new wire and everything is fine. But burying the new wire he just finished laying on the ground is not part of his job description. The second guy comes out to bury the wire, and he says the first guy did it wrong, so he spliced my brand new wire!

My experience over the years with installations is one mistake after another. It's kind of like straightening out insurance claims...they hope you either give up or die before they have to fix it. You have to be persistent.

Old 02-15-2023, 06:30 PM

11,076 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Something to be aware of.

Spectrum, and the other service providers (AT&T, Comcast, etc) all try and “bundle” services together when they setup your initial contract. (They will try and get you to sign up for internet, phone and cable TV.)

The reason is that when you “bundle”, you are “locked” into one company as a service provider, and it is much harder (vs having separate providers for each service) to switch to other providers. They “trap” the customer into their ecosystem, ensuring a constant revenue stream.

In addition, every year, they will raise prices on their services.
Yes, I had planned all along to dump Spectrum after my phone was paid off, which it now is. But before that, a couple months ago the internet alone went up to $79.00/mo. That's ridiculous. I've now cancelled my account and am using my housemate's 5G T-Mobile home internet router. The service can be somewhat spotty because of our location, but considering how much we use it, we're definitely getting our money's worth. Mostly it's just having to reset the router, which only takes a few minutes.

Old 02-15-2023, 08:15 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
Spectrum sounds like a bargain. Comcast is $229 for internet and television, and internet alone is >$100. Unfortunately, they're the only high speed internet available where I live.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
There is no meaningful difference between ANY of the cable operators.
And there won't be, let alone better service, so long as it remains an unregulated utility.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:29 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
There is no meaningful difference between ANY of the cable operators.
And there won't be, let alone better service, so long as it remains an unregulated utility.
This dude living up to his user name.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:01 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Been dealing with Spectrum for many years, and Time Warner before that. Don't remember the pricing back then but it goes back a couple of decades for internet. Cable TV before that. I had been paying $75 fixed for 300mbps. Recently went up to $80 fixed. It is not ridiculous when you look at the whole picture. I don't pay for any other TV. We rely on it heavily and we really get our money's worth, probably up to 1tb use per month, there are no caps.

As for their customer service, seems ok to me. I never really call them, it just works. I suppose it can be different for others.

AT&T Fiber is moving into my area. Now THAT is one company which has the worst customer service ever. Makes Spectrum look like the best ever. They are advertising $55 for 300mb, offering service up to 5gb. They are notorious for adding all kinds of charges on your bill and raising the price whenever they want. No thanks on ATT, not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones