Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:57 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,429,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritated1 View Post
Perhaps if you would have read what I actually wrote you would have found some clarity and not repeated your same flawed comments again but unfortunately I do not do well with creating picture stories so I cannot help you any further. (Does that count as a witty or condescending remark?)
Perhaps if you read this article, the light bulbs will go off. Beyond that, I do not see a reason for us to banter back and forth any longer.

Your cell phone company's dirty little secret - Feb. 10, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:37 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Here is CNN on the issue. Going to a different company apparently will not help.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Here is CNN on the issue. Going to a different company apparently will not help.
That's the exact same link that I posted 40 minutes prior to yours?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
That's the exact same link that I posted 40 minutes prior to yours?
Yeah, sorry, I clicked to the last post and did not see yours. Mybadwastingbandwidth

Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Yeah, sorry, I clicked to the last post and did not see yours. Mybadwastingbandwidth
No worries, I was just wondering if I had missed something.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,759 times
Default I agree, Verizon is Shoving 3G down our throats.

Ok, this is what I have concluded:

Verizon spent too much money building 3G and upcoming 4G networks that covers the entire nation in red. Verizon now desperately need all customers to contribute towards their investment, or their balance books will be in the red.

Solution, Verizion only provide "Jitterbug" type phones to voiceplan only customers so they will be inclined to sign up for $30.00 a month "unlimited" 5gB data plan to get a cool Motorola Droid phone, or $10.00 a month "entry level" data plan to get a still crappy "multimedia" 3G phone.

I got a family plan with three phones, if I want every one in my family to have a kick ass Motorola Droid phone, I will be paying well over $250 a month including taxes. Some people don't even have health insurance in this country... while others are still unemployed!

Guess what, there are alternatives... it's called AT&T. I signed up for a family voice plan and got three very nice Sony Ericsson phones for free.

Thanks, but no thanks Verizon, you do have an impressive 3G coverage map, but I just don't travel that much... and I don't feel like paying for it anymore... no matter how cool the Motrola Droid is, I'll wait until your data plans are more reasonable... or better yet, included in your voiceplan... but that will probably not happen any time soon since you will want to continue showing off your upcoming 4G coverage.

I just hope AT&T will not follow this business model... else I'd have to go with a smaller provider.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojero View Post
I just hope AT&T will not follow this business model... else I'd have to go with a smaller provider.
Your too late. They already have.

Yeah, AT&T is requiring messaging plans with feature phones « Boy Genius Report

At&t's minimum data plan is $20 while Verizon's is only $10.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
I've been a Verizon customer for years now. I was eligible for my new every 2 back in March '09, but was perfectly happy with my old flip phone that only really made calls and could send the occasional text using the non QWERTY keyboard.

Today my battery finally died. I went to the Verizon store, thought the EnV3 was neat and opted for it. Then the Rep slaps me with the new data plan requirement.

"Data package of $9.99 or higher required for 3G Multimedia Phones. All 3G Smartphones require a data feature of $29.99 or higher, or a data plan."

I don't use the internet on my phone. I have no interest of using the internet, getting emails or anything else on my phone. I don't want to listen to music. I just want a keyboard and a strong speaker phone.

Why do I have to get this stupid data plan?

The orice on thsoe phone with a two year contract is based on your taking the data package.You can still buy the phone but not at that price and you woudn't have to have a contract extension.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
Your too late. They already have.

Yeah, AT&T is requiring messaging plans with feature phones « Boy Genius Report

At&t's minimum data plan is $20 while Verizon's is only $10.
I just signed up online for a voice plan only and got 2 Sony Ericsson W518A for free, and 1 C905A for $50 bucks. I guess they are not as cool or in-demand as the other featured phones that requires additional services. Works for me... but it's still much better than the "Jitterbug" phones Verizon offers.

I just hope they wont send me a $200 monthly bill with features I didn't signed up for... or they'll hear from my lawyers.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:22 AM

939 posts, read 3,386,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojero View Post
or they'll hear from my lawyers.
I used to work for two of the major wireless carriers. I heard this threat at least 1-2 times a month. It didn't phase me. Lawyers cost $$.

Your better off submitting a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the FCC. Those don't cost anything, you'll get a faster response, and your issue will likely be resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones