Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 01:33 PM

31 posts, read 78,376 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving down to Charleston next Spring. I have been reading this forum for a little over 6 months now and never see anything about living in downtown Charleston. In a place where you can walk to libraries, restaurants, groceries, etc. Is this area not a good choice or is it considered part of Mt. P, or Daniel's Island? We are making a trip down next month and I am sure we will get a better feel then but I thought I would throw the question out here beforehand to help me continue my research.

Thank you everyone for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:52 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,438,463 times
Downtown is a great experience. I would love to live downtown if I didn't have small children and/or I was a millionaire. But you have to have $$ to live downtown because SFH are very expensive in the safe areas. Schools are another issue you may want to look into if you have school age children.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,646,657 times
It depends on where you live in downtown Charleston.
They have shootings and beatings over drugs a lot..........More so than North Charleston......I like West Ashley.

Police investigate 2 downtown Charleston shootings - CHARLESTON, SC NEWS - LIVE 5 WCSC Breaking News, Weather, Sports

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Huguen...N&hl=en&tab=wl

Charleston man charged with murder after beating man to death - CHARLESTON, SC NEWS - LIVE 5 WCSC Breaking News, Weather, Sports

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lee%20...N&hl=en&tab=wl

Last edited by Capt Rick Hiott; 06-14-2010 at 05:44 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,030,312 times
Not everyone who lives downtown is victimized by crime, though. As a former CPD officer, I can promise you that -all- areas of the lowcountry have violent crimes committed in them. I've lived on the Charleston peninsula for over 5 years now and haven't even been the victim of a vandalism.

The peninsula can be more expensive than other parts of the lowcountry, and schools are an issue if you're not going the private route but there are certainly good spots on the peninsula. Don't overlook it if you're an urbanite!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 PM

We are thinking of homeschooling so schools wont be an issue for awhile. If/When we end up stopping homeschooling we will probably go with a private school. Were is the best place to look for information of good sections of downtown? I will look into the peninsula area. It is hard looking for an idea of housing prices when we are so far away and the streets don't mean anything. We are looking for a house or a nice condo for 150-200. Is this possible or are we better off looking in Mt. P or West Ashley. We know you get more for your money in Summerville but we think we would like to closer to the beaches and Charleston itself.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:51 PM

435 posts, read 836,468 times
You cannot get a condo for 150-200k in downtown at where you really want to live. I don't even think you can get a condo for that price in Mt. Pleasant close to downtown for that. West Ashely and James Island maybe...I think you should look at James island personally.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:07 AM

12,975 posts, read 18,836,184 times
The reason you never hear about anyone moving downtown is because only wealthy New York and Boston transplants can afford to, and they are too busy sailing in their yachts to hang out on a computer.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:46 AM

Ok, good to know. So I will not look at downtown anymore as it sounds like it is way out of our budget! Thank you for all your input. I will look at James Island. For some reason I had thought James Island was more expensive than Mt. P. I guess I may have been wrong and will revisit it. Thank you for all of your input!

Old 06-15-2010, 05:58 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,438,463 times
In the 150-200 range in Mount Pleasant that will buy you a one or two bedroom condo. Might want to keep looking in Summerville area or James Island as suggested but in James Island it would be a very small home or condo with less than 1300 sq feet and most likely with a few exception built 60's and 70's. Just depends what your looking for beds/baths etc. Summerville would be a newer home in a desired school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area