Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 09:00 PM

31 posts, read 78,256 times

Advertisements

We are coming down to the Charleston area next week for a relocation visit. I have been doing some last minute searching online and was wondering if I should be considered with the Naval Weapons Station being so close? Are these areas nice? I see that they are lower cost than lets say Mt. Pleasant. Whats the catch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 05:16 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,473,204 times
put it this way, there are pockets of good areas near there... not pockets of bad areas...
you get what you pay for

for whatever reason anytime you get close to where a base is/was here you get close to some of the worst areas, doesn't make sense that the closer to our military you get the more dangerous the criminals that live in that area are... but that's the way it is in several areas

I'd suggest you look a few miles outside of those areas, the further the better

Old 08-01-2010, 06:23 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
As a former navy serviceman I can tell you that the seedy side of life is attracted to the areas closer to the bases looking for randy sailors, but the reason that property is so cheap and enables people from the underbelly of society to live there is the simple NIMBY factor (Not In My Back Yard). People see having a military base in their back yard as a negative therefore property value in that area is cheaper allowing seedier people to move in....

Old 08-01-2010, 07:48 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,584 times
In Hanahan the good neighborhoods to live in are Dominion Hills, Tanner Plantation & Otranto.

In Goose Creek the good area is Crowfield Plantation.

Mt Pleasant....location, location, location. Close to the beaches & downtown Charleston.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:13 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,498 times
Look into Summerville.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:46 PM

31 posts, read 78,256 times
Thank you for all of your replies! This is exactly the information I was looking for. We may just keep our search to Summerville and Mt. Pleasant. We are looking forward to our visit!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,002,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAEJ369 View Post
We are coming down to the Charleston area next week for a relocation visit. I have been doing some last minute searching online and was wondering if I should be considered with the Naval Weapons Station being so close? Are these areas nice? I see that they are lower cost than lets say Mt. Pleasant. Whats the catch?
Depends on your criteria for 'nice' is.

Ther Trident Area, (ie, "The North Area"-anything North (actually N. E. of the North Bridge over the Ashley River, and West of The Cooper, with the S. border being Mt. Pleasant Street) was most aptly described by one of my uncles (a Navy Yard employee) as, "A place where you can see anything from the rape of a flea to a revolution."

But that was before the Mark Clark ('The Connector'), and before the Navy Base closed.
Today, with the vast majority of Charlestonians coming from Pennsylvania or Ohio, the 'good-bad' areas are scattered; West of The Ashley where I grew up is now overall a dump. It was once considered superior to Mt Pleasant.

But if you're talking health concerns, well that's another question.
I suggest a book by two EPA scientists titled, " Deadly Deceit-Low Level Radiation- High Level Cover-up."

Charleston, and SC overall (Savannah River Plant) are mentioned prominently in the health data, and described as being one of the most radioactive places on earth.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 PM

29 posts, read 84,357 times
We live in Goose Creek, and love it. It is convenient to everything, but not too close for the overwhelming traffic. I have always felt safe here. Summerville seems really far out there, and that's where we originally looked. Plus Dorchester Road is a nightmare. DM if you have any more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area