Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 06:05 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever been to the Palmetto Cafe for Brunch (inside Charleston Place Hotel)?

Reviews? Do you remember the cost?

Do you have any alternate recommendations? I hear The Fat Hen is awesome for brunch but we're going to church downtown, so...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
The best eggs benedict type brunch I've had since I've been here (and this includes having eaten at High Cotton for brunch) has been here The Med Bistro, Charleston, SC (http://themedbistro.com/brunch/index.htm - broken link) They used to have a "brunch tower" that consisted of cheesy shrimp and grits at the bottom; ham or canadian bacon on top of that; a fried green tomato on top of that; an english muffin on top of that and a poached egg with hollandaise sauce on top of everything. It was out of this world! I've had both lunch and dinner at the same place and those meals paled in comparison to the brunch. Three Little Birds is a popular brunch spot behind the Med Bistro but I'd say the food is just average. I've eaten there three or four times-- each time with high hopes that this time would be better than the last and it never was.

I've never had brunch at the Fat Hen but have had dinner there and it was very good.

There's a place on Sullivan's Island can't recall the name for sure. It might have been this place http://highthymecuisine.com/menu_brunch.php
At least the menu looked good and I thought you could eat outside on a covered porch

Also there is a place on Isle of Palms called (I think) the Seahorse Grill (or Inn or Cafe) and they supposedly have great breakfasts and a lot of famous people go there. I've been wanting to try both of those.

Too bad there is nothing downtown that is famous for their brunches that I know of...except for Joes next to the Gibbs Museum of Art which is good but has more of a casual diner type atmosphere and better for enormous pancakes and waffles than benedicts. They don't pay attention to instructions about how you want your eggs cooked there either.

You could go to the Hominy Grill on Rutledge St. They have brunch but don't have any benedicts but they are famous nationally for their okra & shrimp beignets with salsa & cilantro-lime sour cream which I have had and they're delicious. http://hominygrill.com/menus/

In New Orleans there were/ are a lot of places known for their brunches. People would wait for hours in line to get in. Commanders Palace was one were Emerill Lagasse got his start.... and you hadn't experienced New Orleans without having "Breakfast at Brennans" and they certainly had an array of gourmet benedicts.

Last edited by emilybh; 10-03-2010 at 09:33 PM..

Old 10-04-2010, 02:29 AM

131 posts, read 348,644 times
Great reply-I think I'm inspired to try some new places

Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
If you like more of a diner- I have had good experiences with Early Bird Diner on 17 in West Ashley.

Fat Hen does a good brunch but can get crowded. Vickery's used to do a okay brunch as well but I haven't been in a while & there were not as many options as some of the other places. I hit the new restaurant on Folly (it used to be the Seashell) last weekend at Brunch and was pleasantly surprised. They had a couple of benedicts as well as a frittatta and typical local fair. I liked the crabcake benedict best out of our groups orders.

I might have to hit Med Bistro for that breakfast stack. They had gotten so irregular with lunch/dinner that I pretty much quit going their. But anything with multiple carbs, an egg and a bloody mary calls out my name.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Thanks for the tips, y'all! Emily, great post.

I know Fleet Landing does a brunch but I've heard it's kinda hit and miss with the service and the noise and my parents wouldn't like that.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 PM

Just want to point out that if you check the Med Bistro menu link as I did when I posted it, and if you go there for the "Brunch Tower", please note that it isn't on the menu anymore. They do have other tasty sounding things though... although perhaps not AS tasty or generous (with so many different foods in one entree).

One place to avoid... or at least don't order anything fancy there is the Sunflower Cafe on AShley River Rd in Charlestown. They may be able to handle scrambled eggs and toast and maybe pancakes. They do always seem to be crowded but their eggs benedict has to have been the worst I have ever had in my entire life! LOL! I'll never go back there again.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:22 PM

The place in Isle of Palms is the Sea Biscuit Cafe (not seahorse, lol). (I should have searched for it before.) I was on the right track though. Sea Biscuit is/was a horse. Anyway, here is their menu. http://www.seabiscuitcafeiop.com/menu The place looks cute from the outside. Note the menu says they take cash only (no credit cards).

Old 10-05-2010, 06:27 AM

370 posts, read 947,578 times
Sunflower Grill has some great pancakes! Not sure about the benedicts, but if you are looking for a good pancake, they are definitely worth a trip.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 AM

459 posts, read 1,642,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
The place in Isle of Palms is the Sea Biscuit Cafe (not seahorse, lol). (I should have searched for it before.) I was on the right track though. Sea Biscuit is/was a horse. Anyway, here is their menu. Seabiscuit Cafe | Isle of Palms, South Carolina » Menu The place looks cute from the outside. Note the menu says they take cash only (no credit cards).
Right next to the Sea Biscuit Cafe is the Acme Cantina. Great Breakfast! (Even better Bloody Mary's)

ACME Cantina | Isle of Palms, SC - A Sunny Place for Shady People
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area