Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 9,469 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this website. I am hoping to get a little bit of information about moving to south carolina. My boyfriend and I are currently living in Girard, OH which is right by Yougstown. He just graduated with his graphic design degree and I am continuing school for my education degree. We have been looking for jobs for him but it has been difficult because many businesses want someone with at least 5 years of experience. Some friends of ours moved to Charlotte, NC after they got married and love it, therefore we have been thinking about also moving down, however we would rather go to South Carolina, preferably the northern area.

Does anyone have any suggestion about good towns to move to and find a good job? Or any ideas of places that are looking to hire graphic designers? We would prefer not to live in the city and would like to move somewhere that is a really nice place to raise a family since that is in our eventual future.

Any tips or insights would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Rachel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,446,873 times
Just my 2 cents.... I really wouldn't move here until at least you or your boyfriend has landed a job in this area. Others have moved here without jobs and then couldn't find employment here. A good job website that is tied to the local newspaper here is:
Charleston Jobs - Charleston, SC Job Listings & Employment | Post & Courier - Lowcountry Classifieds
Good luck!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 PM

8 posts, read 21,137 times
I wouldn't move either unless you have an offer of employment!! The job market is tough here too. There have been numerous posts about this and most everyone advises against it. Here is a great website for you to peruse regarding companies and their industry sector Charleston Works, another Charleston Jobs - Charleston SC South Carolina Jobs & Employment, and then there is always www.indeed.com. Best luck to you!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:05 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,336,606 times
Unless you have a lot of savings you do not move to a new town without a job.
If jobs in your profession are limited I would apply for a job in any city and if you get it then you can factor in the city as part of your decision.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:01 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,314 times
My husband and family are from Youngstown moved here over 16 years ago. I think you should come visit the area and job search. Your probably going to love it here, but HAVING a job is key.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 PM

22 posts, read 81,021 times
South Carolina is a great place to live and wonderful to raise kids. We all have the southern hospatality!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area