Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,941,263 times

Advertisements

Wow the stuff you can learn. That's a little tidbit I'm going to keep tucked away for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,946 times
one reason I think it's so rare to see any cougar sign is because in the lowcountry most of our woods that looks like miles n miles of deep private woods really isn't as private as most think

those miles of woods are divided into leased sections through mead westvaco, georgia timber and several other timber companies too hunt clubs... most of which are dog hunting clubs

that means any intelligent wildlife in them is well adjusted to hiding from the thousands of people and dogs that trample all through them much of the year long... there is no "out in the sticks" where no one is anymore

can't tell you how many times I've went miles deep in the woods thinking maybe this time was deep enough to actually be alone only to hear some car door or kids screaming when's dinner in short time... lol

nothing like getting all settled into a tree stand, waiting a couple of hours for dark and just when the sun starts to go down, which is when most animals start to move the most, and anticipating a good hunt only to start hearing PEOPLE MOVE!!

wouldn't you know it, that's when people get home from work too and go out to play with their kids on 4 wheelers and the like... nother day doomed... lol

long story short, if there are any cougars out there they know when we move too and are smart enough to wait it out IMHO

Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 AM

38 posts, read 97,510 times
If there are any left, obviously these people don't know about them: Federal researchers declare eastern cougar extinct - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110302/ap_on_sc/us_eastern_cougar - broken link)

Old 12-19-2011, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
When verifiable proof is given I will believe it. Until then, there are no large black cats native to North America. The smallest exception would be the jaguar that ranges just far enough north to inhabit the extreme lower portion of Arizona. This cat can have a melanistic disorder that causes it to be black...but still with it's spots visible.

Other than the jaguar, the only other big cat in the world ever to show a black coloration is the leopard...again, with a melanistic disorder.

If they are seen so often, then a dead one would certainly be able to be found...whether by auto strike, gung-ho hunter kill, or simply a carcass found in the woods.
This I would have to disagree with . Cougers can have a melanistic black color as well. I personally have seen a black panther (i believe to have been a melanistic couger) near Lenoir NC about 25 years ago , so i know they exist . How many bear carcasses have you found in the woods? I live in an area in Nc that has a huntable population and i am an avid deer and small game hunter and i have never found a dead bear carcass or bones from anything other than deer racoons and a possum.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:42 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,640,452 times
Ask that question here Caili.......
South Carolina Outdoor News Forums

Old 12-19-2011, 03:53 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Wed. night...Red Drum...thanks.

Sorry, just could not resist it.......LOL

Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David GH View Post
This I would have to disagree with . Cougers can have a melanistic black color as well. I personally have seen a black panther (i believe to have been a melanistic couger) near Lenoir NC about 25 years ago , so i know they exist . How many bear carcasses have you found in the woods? I live in an area in Nc that has a huntable population and i am an avid deer and small game hunter and i have never found a dead bear carcass or bones from anything other than deer racoons and a possum.
How many of these black panthers have ever been killed & produced for review? As many hunters as there are in our woods you would think someone would shoot one of these beasts. What? They are stealthy cats and don't present themselves as often as a deer or bear? Well let me pose another question then. How many of these black panthers have killed and/or maimed people in N. or S. Carolina? Do you know of any? Cougar attacks aren't exactly uncommon out west. If these cats roam our forests, do you think there would have been some sort of attack in the past hundred years?

And didn't you know that big cats only eat bears while leaving deer, raccoons, and opossums to rot? They must eat all the coyotes too because I've never seen a dead one. They must eat themselves when they die also since no one has ever found one...they aren't near as stealthy once dead.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
Ask that question here Caili.......
South Carolina Outdoor News Forums
Thanks, Capt. Rick, That's a nice forum!

Anyone who wants 'yote' info should go there too!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 AM

23 posts, read 48,537 times
This past June In rivertown I saw a large golden colored cat walking along a tree line.
It was early AM.
I watched from a distance of about 50+ yards for 15-20 seconds before the animal turned into the woods. It was looking into the woods and never became aware of me.

It was much larger than a bobcat. At first i thought it might have been the neighbors large golden retreiver. However, It definately appeared feline and the fur was much shorter than the retreivers.

My heart was beating fast and my mouth hung open.

It might be possible it was a large fox.
However, I dont think thats what I saw.
I think it was a mountain lion.

Ive seen nothing since.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:53 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Big cat sightings are numerous in the Upstate, but proof hard to come by » Anderson Independent Mail

that article is from 2008, without any followups so who knows what was found....

Despite biologists' saying the eastern cougar is no more, big cat sightings persist | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

A more recent article, but still no proof...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area