Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,246 times

Advertisements

Don't dismiss reaching out to some of our wonderful churches in the area. I know Cathedral of Praise on Ashley Phosphate Road has a bread basket ministry where they provide food to the needy. They also have a summer program. Maybe they could use help. My prayers are with you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,694 times
I will tell you what kept my sister afloat when she found herself unemployed and paying (ridiculously high) Los Angeles area rent.

She went to a temp agency. She wasn't working all the time but they would put her on assignments that lasted anywhere from a day to several weeks. While she was doing this, she continued looking for a full time permanent job. The "bright side" was that when she worked enough in a given week, she did not collect her unemployment which effectively extended her benefit for a little while longer. She was technically unemployed for almost a year but she was actually working for most of it and never needed to go into the "extended" unemployment benefits.

I have found work through agencies before and on more than one occasion, they would ask if I was able to work tomorrow. Admittedly, the work was not glamorous, but it was income and at least once, it led to a pretty good permanent job.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 AM

417 posts, read 433,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Nope, you're never alone. God is ALWAYS with you no matter what.....and then there's all of us on city-data! ((hugs))
Ditto on that. You are in our prayers.
You could look at MUSC hospital. There are opportunities to assist people who are recovering. They have an extensive volunteering group, but even paid jobs to help the patients might be possible to find. If not, there may be people there who are looking for a caretaker once they get home. You can call the information desk or visit the place. If I find anything else, I will post it.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 AM

355 posts, read 1,449,879 times
Hugging you through the computer.

What a horrible earthquake to your life, no amount of 'I'm sorry' will really cover what you've gone through.

But, I do have a suggestion. There are many Womens shelter/Work programs that may not only give you a free place to live and shower but also can help you get into a work position.

A quick search on google should turn up some local places.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Hi
I do have a need for driving lessons myself, but don't have a car and the conventional driving lessons are too expensive for me. I am also not very well off financially. So I can't give you a proper employment or pay, but you could give me some cheap driving lessons on the side to add to you earnings when you can find something else going for you.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 AM

I also once did a 1 day job of helping people pack and move.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:29 PM

Just found out the MUSC cafeteria that they are hiring. Room H109 is the location for meeting them. I don't know the phone number though. You may call the information desk and receive the number I think.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:30 PM

22 posts, read 57,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
I will tell you what kept my sister afloat when she found herself unemployed and paying (ridiculously high) Los Angeles area rent.

She went to a temp agency. She wasn't working all the time but they would put her on assignments that lasted anywhere from a day to several weeks. While she was doing this, she continued looking for a full time permanent job. The "bright side" was that when she worked enough in a given week, she did not collect her unemployment which effectively extended her benefit for a little while longer. She was technically unemployed for almost a year but she was actually working for most of it and never needed to go into the "extended" unemployment benefits.

I have found work through agencies before and on more than one occasion, they would ask if I was able to work tomorrow. Admittedly, the work was not glamorous, but it was income and at least once, it led to a pretty good permanent job.
Thank you Tech. The suggestion of not getting unemployment checks while on a temp job, then resuming them on weeks I don't work to "extend" them essentially longer is a great idea. I honestly didn't think that could be done. I just assumed once I found work, and didn't file for my check that week my unemployment would just be closed.

Now if I can squeeze something out of the temp agencies I'll be safe for a bit. I just got a PM from another member here that focused on employment agencies with some good tips on the most effective ways to optimize my chances of getting an assignment there.

Her ideas and yours combined make a lot of good sense for my current situation. Much thanks to you!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesunwater View Post
Hi
I do have a need for driving lessons myself, but don't have a car and the conventional driving lessons are too expensive for me. I am also not very well off financially. So I can't give you a proper employment or pay, but you could give me some cheap driving lessons on the side to add to you earnings when you can find something else going for you.
Simple, I would be very happy to accept this offer, but unfortunately I don't have a vehicle currently either. Truth be told, I would help for the simple fact that your kind heart offered to help a fellow human with what you could even though you don't have a lot yourself.

If, by chance, something comes up and you can get access to a car let me know and I would be more than happy to help you.

Also, thank you for the MUSC lead. Will look into it now.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lisat View Post
Don't dismiss reaching out to some of our wonderful churches in the area. I know Cathedral of Praise on Ashley Phosphate Road has a bread basket ministry where they provide food to the needy. They also have a summer program. Maybe they could use help. My prayers are with you too.
I did, not long ago, talk to my family church and they said they sometimes have money or items to assist but haven't in some time now because so many are in need.

Matter of fact, he asked me what household items I needed because he knew I am in a hotel basically with only my clothes and not much more to speak of.

I told him the physical items that could help me were minimal because I don't want or need anything considered a luxury. I told him what I really could use was kitchen items so when my little boy comes I could cook for him. We used to cook together and both miss it.

Things like skillets and pots, silverware, toaster oven and crockpot. He said he thought he might have some kitchen items, but he learned from the assistant pastor that the items were given to a shelter in need. He did find a $10 grocery gift card that I was ever so grateful for. I managed to get food for probably a week from that. It took me almost an hour to spend, making sure I was using it in the wisest way possible. Sure, it was a cheap and a week of repetitive food, but I thanked God repeatedly for his gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area