Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM

6 posts, read 8,856 times

Advertisements

Hiya.
Moving for a few months to the downtown within walking distance (.8mi) of work, and was wondering what it's like to walk around during hurricane season? Feasable?

Also, I'm having trouble finding crime stats for the area around the Market St. tourist area which is where I'll be walking through at night. There is an industrial area to the east and I'll be living near Harris Teeter on E. Bay, does anyone have a feel for safety in that area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Walking around during hurricane season? As long as a hurricane isn't coming through you shouldn't have any problems.

I know exactly where you are speaking of, the HT on East Bay, we have walked around through there no problems at all.
There are some nice homes through there. Are you renting a room in one of them? I always wondered about those homes.

As far as crime stat's, I would recommend that you get them "from the horses mouth" so to speak.
You will get several answers on here and personally I think you should call the LE there and get the information from them directly.

FWIW, in the Market area, there is ALWAYS LEO presence....always !
And that is a good thing.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:09 AM

Wow, great, fast reply! Thanks!

That area has a mix of snowbird condos and homes with carriage houses/servant quarters for rent. I looked at a few of the carriage houses and servant quarters, and although really nice, they tended to be a bit more pricey because they were in renovated $1M+ homes ($1650 for a studio plus utilities kind of pricey). Found a really charming old home for rent there also (original wood floors, tiny rooms, fireplaces everywhere), and I'm torn between it and a larger, newer condo with a functional kitchen.

The fact that I can't sign a year lease limits my choices, since this is high season for rentals (tons of students live downtown and school starts next month), so the touristy areas seem to have the largest selection for short-term rentals, which jacks up the price.

Good to know the police hang out near where I'll be. I lived in downtown Chicago for a few years, and I think the security presence in and around Millennium Park really made that a great area to live.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Some of the homes there are great ! Out of curiosity, what is the rent in that area?
I think that you will love it there, it is great and so close to the downtown with TONS
to do and see!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 AM

Well, I've only found a few short term rentals (as short as 1 month), and they ranged from $1400 (1 teeny bedroom that barely fit the bed - I had to shimmy against the wall on 2 sides to get to the window, and I'm not overweight, furnished, no utils, new condo, and otherwise nice) at the low end to $2000 (1bd, furnished plus utils) in a carriage house. $2K was my max, as was 1 bd. I recall seeing 3 bd homes for $3500.

Some places have parking, some don't. Same with utilities and funishings. I was looking all over the peninsula south of Calhoun.

As you travel west, away from the French Quarter, and you can stay for a year, the rents become more reasonable - $1000-$1200 for a 1 bd unfurnished. Near Colonial Lake there was a furnished 1 bd in a nice building with elevator for $1500 plus utils and an unfurnished penthouse for about the same. However, most of the agents/owners I spoke to said that it's mostly students in those buildings with all of the associated implications. When I called a $1200 1bd listing on Beaufain, the owner asked if I was a student, and when I said no, she said "Well, I wouldn't live there."

Closer to MUSC the rents drop quite a bit, into the $700 range for 1bd.

The General Jasper tower over near Colonial Lake has 6 month leases with studios and 1 bd for $750-$810. Although now it's more upscale, it looks like it used to be the projects, and I hear there are frequent plumbing issues (it's 58 years old). Pity, because I wouldn't mind living there if I hadn't heard so many bad things about smelling your neighbor's cigarette smoke through the shared ventilation system, mold and condensation, thin walls, etc. The price is right if you can put up with occasional inconveniences, and I hear the staff is nice, but they are busy running around putting out fires all the time. I hope they can work it all out.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 PM

I love the area over by Colonial Lake...
Sergeant Jasper I have heard good things about as well. I understand there is alot of
students but they are trying to get more "couples and families" in there, so maybe that will help.

Let us know what you find and decide!
Good luck

Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 AM

45 posts, read 75,754 times
My wife and I looked at this apartment in March, and it still seems to be available to rent. Maybe the agent (who was very pleasant and helpful) might be willing to work something out. My wife loved it, but it was far too small for two people, but perfect for one. Even though it is close to the college, it did not appear to be college apartment block, as quite frankly, the rental price suggests.

Good Luck!

Charleston Apartment Rentals

63 Rutledge Ave

Last edited by awanders; 07-18-2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: information added

Old 07-20-2010, 09:31 AM

23 posts, read 73,763 times
I think you should be perfectly fine living in that area. The Market and surrounding area is one of the safest areas downtown. It can be a bit loud, but I'm sure you'll grow to love it. One word of warning, if you are in a hurry and walking buy that area (specifically going up or down Market Street) avoid it and walk down a side street due the number of tourists that meander and take up the entire tiny sidewalk. I've have friends who live on Anson and they love it there.
Rain can be an issue but invest in a good umbrella AND a raincoat and you should be fine. I do admit though there have been times where even those protective measures did not matter and I looked as if I just jumped in the Cooper River, (but when it gets as bad as that, you can't help but laugh and jump in a puddle or two. Right?)
From the perspective of a recent graduate of CofC, I wouldn't worry about that area. I would also say look at some of the apartments (if you haven't already) near George and Meeting. They are pretty upscale, and but they are located across from CofC's gym. However that is the lower end of campus and does not see that heavy of pedestrian college traffic. Stay away from Jasper. Students even stay far away from this building.
On another note, If you wanted to expand your search a little bit beyond Calhoun, the area near there is perfectly safe as well. Specifically look near Warren Street which is full of families and older couples and one or two students. Charlotte Street is nice as well, but do not look much further north near there as the East Side can be a little dangerous. (East of Meeting).
Anyways, enjoy the city. I love it here!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the replies! Had not considered a raincoat to go over my clothes, so I definitely will get one, and galoshes or something. I'll be walking back late (9-10pm) twice a week, but it sounds like I shouldn't worry too much about the area.

Signed a 5 mo. lease on a large 1bd., newly remodeled, fully furnished (down to linens and utensils) with all utils (incl. cable, internet), parking, pool, laundry, and secure doors a couple of blocks north of the Market for $1700. Kinda pricey, but includes a lot of stuff. Management company seems nice and easy to deal with. Looking forward to exploring the city!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:50 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
I think $1700.00 downtown all inclusive is a pretty good deal....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area