Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:44 AM

315 posts, read 623,381 times

Advertisements

FBI — Table 8 - South Carolina

The Lowcountry is notorious for trying to hide it's crime problems. Tourist money is #1 reason. But...here are some quick facts from the FBI stats I found online, 2010 being their latest full report:

- Did you know MOUNT PLEASANT had more MURDERS than did Myrtle Beach, Mauldin, Summerville, Moncks Corner, Lexington, Hanahan, Gaffney, Fort Mill, and many other less "sought after" locations? Charleston and North Chas were 2nd and 3rd in SC with 10/12 sadly.

- Did you know MOUNT PLEASANT had 155 "violent crimes", and finished behind only the cities of Columbia, Charleston, North Charleston, Conway, Florence, Greenville, Greenwood, Myrtle Beach, N Chas, Spartanburg, Summerville and Sumter? Some of the above were only 4-5 incidents ahead of Mt P.....................meaning Mount Pleasant is squarely among the states 10 highest violent crime cities in the state? Out of a list of 100+ reporting municipalities and counties.......Mt P is among the highest in violent crime? Higher than West Columbia, Beaufort, Lancaster??? Charleston and N Chas were expected.

- The Lowcountry Armed Robbery rate is alarming. Mount Pleasant had 24!!! I barely heard of this in the news, what the heck?

But overall, it appears Charleston and North Charleston have gotten their crime problems a bit more under control, especially when compared to the 2006 charts. Columbia and Summerville have seen spikes.

Just some interesting facts about the reality of crime in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 11:49 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
We get it. You hate Mt Pleasant. Just move already and stop bitching about it.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 AM

True. I just dont want other good people to make the same mistake. I'm offering actual facts here, someone looking to move may like to know these things. My link is to stats on over 100 places in SC. Not just Mt P. I only commented on where I live. Someone from Beaufort or Lancaster or West Columbia may comment on their cities...like how they have less violence than where I live.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Okay, then look at the statistics. Mt Pleasant is the fifth largest town in the state with a population of 68,555. There were 155 reported violent crimes. For some comparisons...
Summerville of similar size had 157 violent crimes.
Greenville, of similar size, had 468 violent crimes
Rock Hill, of similar size, had 537 violent crimes.
Spartanburg, of similar size, had 646 violent crimes.

Mt Pleasant had 2 murders...let's look at the others
Summerville, 1 murder
Greenville, 3 murders
Rock Hill, 6 murders
Spartanburg, 6 murders

Let's not act like Mt Pleasant is a mecca for crime. Per your own stated statistics, it has low crime for a town its size.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,218 times
Really?? Again?? Can you please get off your soapbox? We all know you are very miserable in Mount Pleasant. Do you really think your crime stats and bashing are going to get people not to move to Mount Pleasant or to move out?

No offense, but this is getting to be really pathetic.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
FBI — Table 8 - South Carolina

The Lowcountry is notorious for trying to hide it's crime problems. Tourist money is #1 reason. But...here are some quick facts from the FBI stats I found online, 2010 being their latest full report:

- Did you know MOUNT PLEASANT had more MURDERS than did Myrtle Beach, Mauldin, Summerville, Moncks Corner, Lexington, Hanahan, Gaffney, Fort Mill, and many other less "sought after" locations? Charleston and North Chas were 2nd and 3rd in SC with 10/12 sadly.

- Did you know MOUNT PLEASANT had 155 "violent crimes", and finished behind only the cities of Columbia, Charleston, North Charleston, Conway, Florence, Greenville, Greenwood, Myrtle Beach, N Chas, Spartanburg, Summerville and Sumter? Some of the above were only 4-5 incidents ahead of Mt P.....................meaning Mount Pleasant is squarely among the states 10 highest violent crime cities in the state? Out of a list of 100+ reporting municipalities and counties.......Mt P is among the highest in violent crime? Higher than West Columbia, Beaufort, Lancaster??? Charleston and N Chas were expected.

- The Lowcountry Armed Robbery rate is alarming. Mount Pleasant had 24!!! I barely heard of this in the news, what the heck?

But overall, it appears Charleston and North Charleston have gotten their crime problems a bit more under control, especially when compared to the 2006 charts. Columbia and Summerville have seen spikes.

Just some interesting facts about the reality of crime in SC.

That document is only useful if you know what you're looking at and you need to look at the violent crime rate, not the overall number of violent crimes. That is, you need to weight the number of violent crimes with the population. For instance, Bluffton has a population of 14,899 and 31 violent crimes. Denmark also has 31 violent crimes but only has a population of 2,900. That means that the people of Denmark are about 6 times more likely to be victims of violent crimes than are those of Bluffton. If you look at it this way, of the 154 cities in that report only 20 of them have lower rates of violent crime than Mount Pleasant.

Charleston's rate is about 57% higher. Monck's Corner is about 113% higher. Myrtle Beach is 161% higher. North Charleston is 274% higher. And Spartanburg's violent crime rate is 596% higher.

So in actual fact, according to that FBI report, Mount Pleasant is in the bottom 14% of the cities listed for violent crime. Also, among the 35 cities with populations of over 10,000 Mt. P is 4th lowest in violent crime.

The point is that if you want to hate this place for other reasons that's fine, but safety (or a lack thereof) definitely isn't one of them.

Last edited by lizardspock; 01-29-2012 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: fixed percentages and added examples

Old 01-29-2012, 10:50 PM

Depends. If you live south of Bowman road, where most crime occurs, you aren't that safe. In the more snobbish, pretentious north of bowman areas, well, you'll go to jail for a messy yard.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 PM

I just want to mix it up. There seems to be only 2 types here: Those looking to move somewhere....and realtors selling a false reality to them. I'm offering the non-realtor view on things. I understand why realtors would want me to stop though.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,124 times
Obviously seabass has something against Mt. P. LOL All at the same time I don;t really understand the draw to Mt. P. Especially when there are other options in the charleston area that are much cheaper.

Either way my personal reason why I was not a fan of Mt. P. Is it reminds me alot of "new Florida" When I say New Florida I am talking about newer construction in areas like Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Miami, West Palm, etc... I have lived and worked in areas just like that.

They are large communites, which from a quick glance look amazing, but in reality they are crap.

Just to give you an idea, I lived in this neighborhood for years. Avalon Park > Home Lots of cool looking things, but you would be surprised by the crime that happend in the area. I had stuff stolen out of my yard, there were car break ins, hell less then a mile from where I lived 4 college students living in a house, 3 girls were raped, and the guy roomate was nearly beaten to death by a group of thugs. Drunk driver's car flipping and crashing into a house and setting it on fire. Few break ins, couple other things you would never expect in a neighborhood like that.

I also worked in this towncenter just down the street.

Shopping at Waterford Lakes Town Center, East Orlando, Florida - YouTube

Seems like a nice amazing shopping center. Sorry for the crappy realtor video, but figured it shows the shopping center well. the Target is the #1 shoplifted retail store in the state of FL, I personally have seen undercover security tackle a shoplifter 4 times in person at that location, never seen it ever at any other location. On friday and sat night, the mall hires 30, not exagerating, but 30 off duty police officers, at about $35 an hour. I have had to report about 50 customers broken into cars, at least 7 car thefts, and I have called 911 for medical/police emergencies about 40 times to break up fights, etc...

I got a similar vibe of Mt. P. The new concrete, nice landscaping exterior. Then the price, turned me off. I learned to prefer a place that seems to have a sense of "community" over that.

I am sure mt. P is what alot of people want and alot of parts are nice and that is fine, but just wasn't what I wanted. I like my neighborhood. Halloween was a key seller to me, every other halloween I had in the neighbor I listed above, 80% of my candy was leftover. This year where I live now, we bought more candy then normal, we had so many visitors, we and everyone else in the neighborhood sits in their driveway instead of opening the door every 1-2 min, and we ran out of candy early and had to go in and shut our light off. Never had that happen in my life.

Its obvious seabass hates Mt. P. but I think its good to tell the facts of Mt. P. for people looking. Don't worry I know Summerville has its downfalls as well,but I agree there are some falsehoods spread.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:51 PM

Well put Mustang.

My issues with Mt P are many, but most of all is the attitude of the people. They are the most politely bigoted group I've ever lived around. They are just outright arrogant about their wealth, OR their determination to pretend they have wealth. How they view themselves and others in comparision is just sickening. I too prefer "community", a place that wouldn't jail a woman for a messy yard. Not a hazard to the community, a safety issue.....but just a yard that neighbors didn't like the looks of.

I'm sure there are many other places in the US like Mount Pretentious. But my gosh is this place so not worth the money. But rather than just "its not for me", I've had first hand experience, multiple times, as have friends, of the outright arrogance and bigotry of this "town", and can't wait to get back to the real world outside of Mt P and the Chas peninsula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area