Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 PM

407 posts, read 829,002 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been looking on the computer at the Mount Pleasant area. I came across Daniel Island in my search of condos and was curious how life is here. It seems its a nice community and has all the amenities you would need. What are the pros and cons of living here?

Also, how about Mount Pleasant?

I have traveled in South Carolina every year for the past few years. Myrtle Beach area, Murrells Inlet, Georgetown are a few places I've been and loved them! I'll be back again this summer! Is the Charleston area similar? Don't know if I'll ever move down south, but I think about it often. Thank you for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 AM

26 posts, read 122,705 times
We flew down to check out Mt. Pleasant and Daniel Island this past April. We fell in love with Daniel Island. From my research and talking to people these are the pros/cons I've been able to pull together. We don't live there yet, but these are things I've heard.

Pros
- the lifestyle (golf, swimming, tennis, boating, bike ride everywhere)
- it's all nice. There are no bad areas.
- it's one community within itselft (whereas mt.pleasant are subdivisions set apart from each other)
- the schools are good (scores aren't as high as mt. pleasant, but they are getting better)
- the people are friendly and diverse (there are young, empty nesters, families and retirees)
- There are shops and doctors offices etc. on the island, yet Mt. Pleasant is 10-15 mins away

Cons:
- it's the most expensive price per square foot in the Charleston area
- it's a planned community and although well done, some people may feel it's 'contrived' or sterile
- the houses are close together, you may not get much yard
- it's in berkeley county, which doesn't have as good schools/funding as Charleston
- There's only one main highway to get there, so traffic can be an issue if accident occurs
- it's further away from beaches (still 20-25 mins)

Hope that helps!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,289,856 times
I also am weeking info about Daniel Island for friends. Is there a hospital close by?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I also am weeking info about Daniel Island for friends. Is there a hospital close by?
East Cooper Medical Center is just over the bridge from Daniel Island in Mount Pleasant.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Daniel Island is lovely, but a warning.

Many developers economically supported amenities ("private" golf courses, pools, tennis courts, bike paths, etc.) but once all the development was over, the amenities (especially "private" golf courses) became an economic burden on them so the developer sold them off and the operation(s) soon changed.

I do not believe the "final chapter" on Daniel Island has been written and will not be until Daniel Island Development Corporation?? is no longer in control.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:20 PM

435 posts, read 835,341 times
Personally, although lovely neighborhood, Daniel island is too far and too isolated to justify the price range of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area