Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,609 times

Advertisements

I'd be happy to show you around. Kidding aside, I moved here from Florida I lived in Key West and Broward County (lived in Pembroke Pines/Weston area) so I understand where your coming from.
Honestly your going to fit in fine here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 AM

31 posts, read 69,047 times
So, how was the process of adapting? Easy? Are you loving it? Do you happen to know the Old Village Landing neighborhood? Do kids really play outside? Anything helps!

Old 07-06-2011, 09:15 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Can't say how Old Village Landing is specifically, but in general, and certainly in my neighborhood, the kids play outside. My daughter would constantly be on her bike at her friend's house, they would come to mine, down to the pool, the tennis courts, etc, etc. The rule was she had to be home by dinner.

I think I know every kid in her age group in my neighborhood now and they've likely been to my house several times. In the summer, a lot of the mothers go down to the neighborhood pool together and hang out while the kids play. Now that my daughter is getting older and will be driving, I am guessing this will change our dynamic but when our daughter was younger, this is what she and most of the other kids in the neighborhood did.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,853 times
We live in MP (Park West) just moved and my wife is not blonde... jet black hair and proud of it... well ok some coloring with age is used for the 'jet' part

I researched Charleston quite a lot and then Mount Pleasant more in depth after decided upon Charleston. Here is my post... look it over, it might give you some insight to Charleston/MP.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ing-south.html

Any questions please ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari_1026 View Post
Thank you all for your prompt responses. This decision is keeping me awake at night... even though it is still several months away. As a parent, you want to provide your children with whatever you consider is best. I had such an AWESOME childhood myself, that cannot live with the fact that NOONE plays outside in our neighborhood and there's nowhere to take the kiddos UNLESS I drive all the way to the zoo in Miami (about 1.5 hours away) or take them to the beach ALL DAY EVERY DAY! Any input would be SUPER appreciated. Keep it coming! Let me know about those terrible bugs? Really? Worse than Florida or New Orleans ones? Walkability in Mt.P? We saw a little strip of shops? Is that where people walk to from Old Village? Anyone familiar with a neighborhood called Old Village Landing? I LOVED the fact that all the streets ended in a Cul-De-Sac! I grew up in one and I think it helped with all of us kids being able to play outside safely... PLEASE, just post EVERYTHING you think might (or not) be relevant! This decision must be based on facts and life is way too short to experience everything first-hand! I'll take your word for it!!!! THANKS!!!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
You'll be fine in Mt. Pleasant or Summerville. It's the beach that is drawing you to Charleston, go with Mt. Pleasant.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:12 PM

31 posts, read 69,047 times
@MichaelNYC,
I've been reading through your thread and it is VERY long. You got so many good responses from people, though! That said, I'm guessing your son is about three yrs old, so I cannot ask you about your experience with schools yet. What you CAN tell me is if your expectations were met. Was your wife able to make friends easily? Do you see kids playing outside in Mt.P? Is there any specific part of Mt.P where we should be looking for houses? When we drove around, we ended up in Old Village Landing and it was SO nice, with beautiful Cul-De-Sacs, schools nearby and charming old homes, as well. Do you know this area? Are you so happy that you might end up staying in Charleston for good? Does it feel like home? Are there good parks, museums, etc? Is it walkable at all? Please, let me know anything you think might shed some light for us on this huge decision. TY

Old 07-06-2011, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 30,741 times
You sound very educated in your posts, so don't worry about it. With your husband being a physician, you will fit right in in MP. Old Village is very nice and safe. Stay away from the North Charleston area. Don't know what your financial situation is, but the Old Village is pricey. Maybe not by South Florida standards, but pricey due to it being old and its location. As long as you are not from Ohio, you would be welcomed here.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:38 PM

41 posts, read 118,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalSC View Post
You sound very educated in your posts, so don't worry about it. With your husband being a physician, you will fit right in in MP.
Wonder how the snobbery stereotype in Mt.P ever took root? See above.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
some people read way too much into posts................

Old 07-07-2011, 04:57 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,701 times
Default North Charleston - give us a break already

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalSC View Post
You sound very educated in your posts, so don't worry about it. With your husband being a physician, you will fit right in in MP. Old Village is very nice and safe. Stay away from the North Charleston area. Don't know what your financial situation is, but the Old Village is pricey. Maybe not by South Florida standards, but pricey due to it being old and its location. As long as you are not from Ohio, you would be welcomed here.
People on these boards wonder why those of us who live in the perfectly fine parts of North Charleston start to take it personally when the whole city/area is slammed by someone that obviously does not know that the whole city/area is not a cesspool. Could you at least try to say something like "stay away from the bad parts of North Charleston"? There are parts of many towns and/or cities in the area that I would not prefer to live in, but I would not warn people to stay away from the whole town and/or city. Just sayin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area