Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:23 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,343,061 times

Advertisements

Glad yall are finding your niche......

Good luck....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,964,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Glad yall are finding your niche......

Good luck....
Sometimes life is what you make of it.

Best of luck.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:05 AM

817 posts, read 2,005,834 times
I've been reading through your thread and it is VERY long.
** it started when I was just 'thinking/considering' Charleston years ago and now living here !

You got so many good responses from people, though!
** people throughout the years have been great and I have found a difference with Charleston city-data people as opposed to Florida city-data people as I had commented on my post

What you CAN tell me is if your expectations were met.
** all of them I can say... yes I can say *ALL*
hey I did my homework and it all turned out great and even better

Was your wife able to make friends easily?
** my wife has been busy getting the house into a home... but we have found it is if I can say, 'work' to get friends. No one is sitting around waiting for something to do... they are all busy... but one must make an effort and we have and it pays off... it is the usual deal. We have reached out to people and people have reached out to us.

Do you see kids playing outside in Mt.P?
** on our block.. all the time

Is there any specific part of Mt.P where we should be looking for houses?
** so many areas.... as you liked Old Village... my wife wanted a newer home,, ours is 2004 and we did not want a cul-de-sac.. so to each their own and Park West worked out great for us... so glad we choose it and would do it over again

Are you so happy that you might end up staying in Charleston for good?
** we wanted this move as our last move and hope to grow old.. well older in our house... we figure at least till our son goes to and graduates college then who knows.. which will be maybe 20 yrs from now... so we are in it for the long run.. and so many neighbors on our block have been here since the block was 'built' 6 yrs, 8 yrs and plan to stay forever as us.

Does it feel like home?
** from the moment we moved

Are there good parks, museums, etc?
** Palmetto State Park... of course.. but nothing is walkable for us.. but a very close ride

Please, let me know anything you think might shed some light for us on this huge decision
** read, investigate, ask questions and VISIT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari_1026 View Post
@MichaelNYC,
I've been reading through your thread and it is VERY long. You got so many good responses from people, though! That said, I'm guessing your son is about three yrs old, so I cannot ask you about your experience with schools yet. What you CAN tell me is if your expectations were met. Was your wife able to make friends easily? Do you see kids playing outside in Mt.P? Is there any specific part of Mt.P where we should be looking for houses? When we drove around, we ended up in Old Village Landing and it was SO nice, with beautiful Cul-De-Sacs, schools nearby and charming old homes, as well. Do you know this area? Are you so happy that you might end up staying in Charleston for good? Does it feel like home? Are there good parks, museums, etc? Is it walkable at all? Please, let me know anything you think might shed some light for us on this huge decision. TY

Old 07-09-2011, 08:20 AM

859 posts, read 1,363,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari_1026 View Post
@MichaelNYC,
I've been reading through your thread and it is VERY long. You got so many good responses from people, though! That said, I'm guessing your son is about three yrs old, so I cannot ask you about your experience with schools yet. What you CAN tell me is if your expectations were met. Was your wife able to make friends easily? Do you see kids playing outside in Mt.P? Is there any specific part of Mt.P where we should be looking for houses? When we drove around, we ended up in Old Village Landing and it was SO nice, with beautiful Cul-De-Sacs, schools nearby and charming old homes, as well. Do you know this area? Are you so happy that you might end up staying in Charleston for good? Does it feel like home? Are there good parks, museums, etc? Is it walkable at all? Please, let me know anything you think might shed some light for us on this huge decision. TY
Hi, Mari,

Thought I'd chime in with our thoughts, as we've been here since 2003, as a move back from NJ; before that, we lived on James Island, and moved right after Hugo in 1989.

We have no small children, so can't answer about any of the kid-friendly questions!

However, as far as the others -

Making friends - As Michael said, people here are busy, and sometimes making 'random', next door neighbor close friendships aren't as easy. But the area is so diverse that finding common interests seems to be what drives a lot of friendships. I think the churches also provide a community bond that builds friendships.

We live in Snee Farm and love it, but also love the Old Village. Our decision was made largely based on the fact that we had to make our house accessible for our adult disabled son who lives with us - hard to do in some of those beautiful older homes! There are tons of great areas here, and it really is up to you as to what sort of 'flavor' you want. We ride around the Old Village and wish upon our favorite 'if only' houses, and do the same with houses on Sullivan's Island and other parts of MtP.

Are we happy - does it feel like home? Yes, and yes! The weather here is so much easier for our son to deal with compared to NJ winters! Cost of living most definitely lower here. Less traffic congestion, no matter what anyone says about MtP traffic!! Grocery stores are for the most part pretty good, with Publix being my favorite, and HT a close second. Hubbie and I are both foodies, so the restaurant scene in Charleston has thrilled us, with so much to choose from. The close availability of Palmetto Island County Park, and the beaches and other hiking trails and 'natural' sites provide us with all the outdoors we would ever want!

You sound as though you've done your research, and thought about all the 'logical' choices. Now it's time to let your heart do some talking and let it tell you which house and area it can see you in!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:37 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,950,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
Making friends - As Michael said, people here are busy, and sometimes making 'random', next door neighbor close friendships aren't as easy. But the area is so diverse that finding common interests seems to be what drives a lot of friendships. I think the churches also provide a community bond that builds friendships.
Over the years, I've lived in small to large towns in Virginia, Illinois, Iowa, Connecticut, and North Carolina, and this would be good advice for newcomers moving to any of these states. The friends I've made in all these places have shared common interests with me.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:20 PM

817 posts, read 2,005,834 times
I have to chime in and agree with both posters notes above.
One must find common interests and it starts from there.
We have some very nice direct neighbors... but will be a hi and a wave we realize... though only been around one month fulltime now. They either do not have young children.. so what to do with our son... or they have older kids and associate with the parents of the older kids.. so the kids are occupied. We made friends with parents who have children around our sons age. Made friends from exercising, my wife is a runner... note runner... not jogger.. she competed nationaly back home (just had to toss that in if my wife reads this post One needs to find similiar interests, common interests and take it from there. We are always open to people and those on our block once we really get settled into the new home after the summer, we will have everyone from the block 43 families over for a get together and will see what sticks from there. Make yourself open of course.. but common interests I know I keep repeating as the above 2 posters wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Over the years, I've lived in small to large towns in Virginia, Illinois, Iowa, Connecticut, and North Carolina, and this would be good advice for newcomers moving to any of these states. The friends I've made in all these places have shared common interests with me.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:33 PM

31 posts, read 69,151 times
Michael, you have no idea how helpful you've been by taking the time to answer to my questions... putting my mind at ease. This decision is a HUGE one for us and all the input that we can get from people like you is SO appreciated and needed. I am so grateful that you've taken the time to reply to my posts...
You are one nice dude!!! Who said New Yorkers weren't nice? LOL Hubby was born in NYC and he turned out great, as well! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
I've been reading through your thread and it is VERY long.
** it started when I was just 'thinking/considering' Charleston years ago and now living here !

You got so many good responses from people, though!
** people throughout the years have been great and I have found a difference with Charleston city-data people as opposed to Florida city-data people as I had commented on my post

What you CAN tell me is if your expectations were met.
** all of them I can say... yes I can say *ALL*
hey I did my homework and it all turned out great and even better

Was your wife able to make friends easily?
** my wife has been busy getting the house into a home... but we have found it is if I can say, 'work' to get friends. No one is sitting around waiting for something to do... they are all busy... but one must make an effort and we have and it pays off... it is the usual deal. We have reached out to people and people have reached out to us.

Do you see kids playing outside in Mt.P?
** on our block.. all the time

Is there any specific part of Mt.P where we should be looking for houses?
** so many areas.... as you liked Old Village... my wife wanted a newer home,, ours is 2004 and we did not want a cul-de-sac.. so to each their own and Park West worked out great for us... so glad we choose it and would do it over again

Are you so happy that you might end up staying in Charleston for good?
** we wanted this move as our last move and hope to grow old.. well older in our house... we figure at least till our son goes to and graduates college then who knows.. which will be maybe 20 yrs from now... so we are in it for the long run.. and so many neighbors on our block have been here since the block was 'built' 6 yrs, 8 yrs and plan to stay forever as us.

Does it feel like home?
** from the moment we moved

Are there good parks, museums, etc?
** Palmetto State Park... of course.. but nothing is walkable for us.. but a very close ride

Please, let me know anything you think might shed some light for us on this huge decision
** read, investigate, ask questions and VISIT !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area