Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM

31 posts, read 69,080 times

Advertisements

Ok, so here's our story:
We are a young couple (31 n 34 yrs old), with three kids (8, 4 and 1), I am from Puerto Rico, husband has Dominican ancestors. Lived in Miami for a few years (which I hated, but where husband grew up), lived in New Orleans for seven years (including Katrina years) and LOVED it (charm, diversity, jobs, PEOPLE!). Moved to Ft. Lauderdale ONE year ago and kind of hate it here. We live half a mile from the beach, BUT this city is NOT kid-friendly. No museums, good parks, zoo, aquariums, well, you get the point. We know that we want out of Ft. Lauderdale, the point is WHERE to go. We want a down-to-earth city, with things to do outdoors, weather should be mild (being an island girl I don't know about cold winters), KID FRIENDLY is A MUST as are good schools. Friendly people is also at the top of my list... I AM THE PATHETIC MOM going to the mall everyday for a stroll with the baby. Husband is a Physician, so a job shouldn't be a problem. Have been talking with husband about a move to Stapleton, Denver; Charleston, SC and almost any other city I happen to see on HGTV's House Hunters. Cost of living is not so much of an issue bc even though we are just starting out, husband's career is very promising and we can always adjust. After a recent visit to Charleston, this city became my first choice. I LOVE its charm and feel. I really like Mount Pleasant but I'm worried about everything I've read about the "blond housewives and their gigantic SUVS". I do want to make friends and I'm worried about people finding it hard to become friends with a "Spanish" girl. I've had my good share of people only "considering" my friendship after learning that we are educated folks. So, how would life be for a young, Hispanic family in Charleston? Discrimination? Racism? Do you think Mount Pleasant might be a good fit for us? Do kids play outside? Would the "blondies" be nice enough to let me into their clique? BTW, I am NOT high maintenance AT ALL (nor am I blond or drive a huge suv), more like your island-beachy Caribbean girl that wears mostly no make-up and lets the wind curl her hair. So, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, help me out! WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?!?! Any input would be EXTREMELY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 03:21 PM

Re-reading my post, I realized that it may sound as if I'm being judgemental myself by asking about the truth in what they say about the Mount Pleasant moms. Truth be told, I don't really care if they're blond, drive a huge car or can't drive at all. All I'm looking for is for a bunch of nice, transparent people who will be welcoming to our family. We want for our next move to be our last and for that place to become our HOME for good. So, if you are a Mt.P mom, forgive my ignorance. A mom's perspective would be invaluable to me and would be forever appreciated. THANKS!!!

Old 07-05-2011, 03:42 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,948,149 times
I'm also looking at Mt. Pleasant as a potential candidate for a move in a few years (along with several other locations in the Carolinas and Virginia). Currently, I live in Naperville, Illinois, a town that in the Illinois forums is constantly getting flack for being "non-diverse" ... i.e., full of blond housewives and their giant SUVs. Yeah, that's an aspect of life in Naperville, but it's not the whole story. There are plenty of friendly quality people here, and I'll wager that's true of Mt. Pleasant, too. In other words, I've found it's always a good idea to take what you read in these forums with a grain of salt ... the negative stuff as well as the positive.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,667 times
I would recommend you look into Summerville too.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:06 AM

89 posts, read 255,986 times
It's true, there are def some snobs in Mt. P. That being said, there are far more well rounded, "transparent", blue collar families who live here because they love the location. It's so nice to be 10-15 minutes from both the downtown area and the beaches. I do however think that a large part of it is the subdivision or neighborhood you choose to live in. We live in the Veranda section of Belle Hall, and couldn't be happier. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,961,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lisat View Post
I would recommend you look into Summerville too.
Speaking from personal experience...

We experienced much more small mindedness in Summerville than anywhere we have been in the Charleston area. That is our experience and does not infer this to be the case 100% of the time.

We also met some outstandingly nice Summerville natives like you would expect in any small southern town.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:03 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari_1026 View Post
Ok, so here's our story:
We are a young couple (31 n 34 yrs old), with three kids (8, 4 and 1), I am from Puerto Rico, husband has Dominican ancestors. Lived in Miami for a few years (which I hated, but where husband grew up), lived in New Orleans for seven years (including Katrina years) and LOVED it (charm, diversity, jobs, PEOPLE!). Moved to Ft. Lauderdale ONE year ago and kind of hate it here. We live half a mile from the beach, BUT this city is NOT kid-friendly. No museums, good parks, zoo, aquariums, well, you get the point. We know that we want out of Ft. Lauderdale, the point is WHERE to go. We want a down-to-earth city, with things to do outdoors, weather should be mild (being an island girl I don't know about cold winters), KID FRIENDLY is A MUST as are good schools. Friendly people is also at the top of my list... I AM THE PATHETIC MOM going to the mall everyday for a stroll with the baby. Husband is a Physician, so a job shouldn't be a problem. Have been talking with husband about a move to Stapleton, Denver; Charleston, SC and almost any other city I happen to see on HGTV's House Hunters. Cost of living is not so much of an issue bc even though we are just starting out, husband's career is very promising and we can always adjust. After a recent visit to Charleston, this city became my first choice. I LOVE its charm and feel. I really like Mount Pleasant but I'm worried about everything I've read about the "blond housewives and their gigantic SUVS". I do want to make friends and I'm worried about people finding it hard to become friends with a "Spanish" girl. I've had my good share of people only "considering" my friendship after learning that we are educated folks. So, how would life be for a young, Hispanic family in Charleston? Discrimination? Racism? Do you think Mount Pleasant might be a good fit for us? Do kids play outside? Would the "blondies" be nice enough to let me into their clique? BTW, I am NOT high maintenance AT ALL (nor am I blond or drive a huge suv), more like your island-beachy Caribbean girl that wears mostly no make-up and lets the wind curl her hair. So, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, help me out! WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?!?! Any input would be EXTREMELY appreciated!
Sounds like you would fit into the Mt Pleasant community very well. Generally, from my experience living here and raising a child here, it is a very active community and parents are very involved in their children's lives, sports, etc. If you're the mom that does a lot in her neighborhood and with her kids, you'll have gads of friends in no time. The blond housewives and their gigantic SUVs moniker is not all that accurate and often made by people that simply do not like Mt P. Take it all with a grain. Trust me, you'll fit in beautifully here based upon the information you provided.

Last edited by southbel; 07-06-2011 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Thank you all for your prompt responses. This decision is keeping me awake at night... even though it is still several months away. As a parent, you want to provide your children with whatever you consider is best. I had such an AWESOME childhood myself, that cannot live with the fact that NOONE plays outside in our neighborhood and there's nowhere to take the kiddos UNLESS I drive all the way to the zoo in Miami (about 1.5 hours away) or take them to the beach ALL DAY EVERY DAY! Any input would be SUPER appreciated. Keep it coming! Let me know about those terrible bugs? Really? Worse than Florida or New Orleans ones? Walkability in Mt.P? We saw a little strip of shops? Is that where people walk to from Old Village? Anyone familiar with a neighborhood called Old Village Landing? I LOVED the fact that all the streets ended in a Cul-De-Sac! I grew up in one and I think it helped with all of us kids being able to play outside safely... PLEASE, just post EVERYTHING you think might (or not) be relevant! This decision must be based on facts and life is way too short to experience everything first-hand! I'll take your word for it!!!! THANKS!!!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,432,672 times
Mount Pleasant is diverse. We aren't all blonde and drive big SUVS (well I am but....)

Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 AM

lol Too cute! Maybe you can show us around in your big SUV! hehe After all, there are some instances in life when size DOES matter! Really, it's a fact! The bigger the car, the safer in case of an accident!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area