Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:21 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Academic Magnet, Wando, School of the Arts...some of the best in SC and at least one with a very high national ranking.
Two out of the three of them are not 'open' to the general public, you have to apply and be accepted just like a private school....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 PM

124 posts, read 335,519 times
I talked with someone yesterday that lives in Carolina Bay. She has a 1 1/2 year old and really likes living there. She said that they are supposed to be building a new elementary school in there at some point, so the neighborhood will eventually be linked to an elementary school, the middle school, and high school. There are a lot of kids in the neighborhood and they have a really nice play park.

I found this advertisement of the neighborhood from Centex, which is one of the many builders in there. I noticed that it said there were only two entrances (Glenn McConnell and Hwy 17), but there is a third off Bees Ferry.

New Homes in Charleston South Carolina - Carolina Bay by Centex - YouTube

Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Two out of the three of them are not 'open' to the general public, you have to apply and be accepted just like a private school....
But they are public schools and part of the Charleston County School District.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
But they are public schools and part of the Charleston County School District.
Yes they are public schools but the Charter school is actually ran through the State school board via the state wide charter board..

Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,669 times
anything on BeesFerry Rd should be a great place to live, most of it is pretty new

schools aren't "bad" in that area, maybe not competing for the very top spot but not certainly "bad"

I'm thinking kids go to Springfield elementary, possibly CE Williams for middle?, and West Ashley High... not sure what middle school is in that area now, CE used to be it before they turned magnet... anyway those are NOT bad schools, nor is that a bad place to live...

if I leave Summerville it'll be to head that direction!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Yes they are public schools but the Charter school is actually ran through the State school board via the state wide charter board..

None of the three I listed are Charter schools.

I was responding to the bum who stated there were no good schools in Charleston County. He's wrong, we know that.

No need to argue semantics.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:16 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times
We live off Bee's Ferry. We like it out here (well, we could use another Harris Teeter out here, and a running shoe store somewhere in West Ashley. Those are my only qualms). It's a neat area and very quiet. The police department substation and fire department substation are on this road too, so I guess that makes me feel a bit safer. Close and pretty convenient to 526 but doesn't feel cramped out here- it's far enough out to feel like you can get away from the hustle and bustle, but you're still just a short drive from it.

The entrances and exits on McConnell and 17 are nice. The only time Glenn McConnell really gets backed up is if there's a wreck or at rush hour, but even that's not too bad except for the middle of rush hour.

We will most likely buy a home out here sometime this year (currently in an condominium style apartment). You can get a lot of home for your money out here and we feel like the area will grow a lot. We don't have kids but have heard good things about the elementary schools out here.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,840 times
We live in Grand Oaks and love the location. Almost bought in Summerville but so glad we bought out here to be closer to the beaches and downtown Charleston. I can't comment on the schools because all my kids are grown, but there are lots of kids in our neighborhood and their parents aren't complaining. The area is growing quickly and I think it will be a very popular place once there are a few more stores out here.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:36 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Thanks for the video and my family and I love Carolina Bay. But , we are deciding between Carolina Bay and The Cottage's on John's Island. It is a tough decision. I like The Cottage's on John's Island for being closer to downtown and the Beach (River Rd & Maybank is where they are located). I like Carolina Bay for the amenities! Two pools and pavilion grills you can rent out for get togethers. And, they will be opening it up to Glenn McConnell in two years. Just that it is far from the beach and downtown to what I am used to. Tough decision. Both places have nice houses. The Cottage's have 88 total Charlestonian type houses by Mungo Homes and Carolina Bay will have 1500 when they finish! Huge Community! I am leaning toward the Cottage's because it is right next to the Stono River, closer to downtown, and Folly Beach. Tough thing is the school for my daughter , schools are awful on John's Island. But, I was shocked to know the elementary school for Carolina Bay is Oakland , which is rated very poor. So, a tough decision for both areas with the public schools. My friend works for Charleston County Schools and told me the new elementary school is being built in Carolina Bay but it will be 6-7 years from now!!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 AM

9 posts, read 16,108 times
Consider Grand Oaks in West Ashley- it's closer to everything and closer to schools/shopping. You might also consider the new development being launched by Ryland across the river in Mt. Pleasant, while there are introductory prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area