Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,958,125 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at the Charleston area (in particular, Mt. Pleasant) for a possible semi-retirement move in 5-6 years. The other areas I'm considering are Charlottesville VA, Virginia Beach VA, Raleigh/Cary NC, Columbia SC. I'm leaning toward the Charleston area because of the positive things I've read here, particularly the genuine passion residents and natives seem to have for life in the area. It's impossible for me to define, but it's a quality I haven't really seen in other forums.

I'll probably be visiting over the Christmas-New Years holidays and would like to know: what would be the best things to do to get a feel for life in the Charleston area ... not touristy things and not night life/clubbing (I'm too old for that), but for the rhythm and quality of ordinary life? What would help me make a choice for Charleston over the other areas I'm looking at?

Now, if I can just get over my slight fear of hurricanes and earthquakes ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:52 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,353,970 times
I wouldn't worry about Hurricanes and Earthquakes it is the oppressive heat and humidity of the summer you have to deal with all the time, New Years Holiday week will not show you this, you need to look at visiting during Independence Day....

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 PM

482 posts, read 846,959 times
I hated the heat last year but I think I am starting to get use to it now.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 AM

I lived in Chapel Hill NC for five years, visited Charleston during the summer on occasion so I'm somewhat familiar with the climate ... looking at the climatological data, summer daytime highs don't seem to be that different than Chapel Hill/Raleigh but nighttime lows are maybe five degrees warmer. Here in northern Illinois, I find the winters oppressive and depressing so I suppose it's trading one off for the other. Would love to hear from someone who's lived in both Raleigh and Charleston who can compare their experiences of the two...

(the comment on hurricanes/earthquakes was a joke, BTW, I really don't spend a lot of time worrying about those things though I didn't realize until I started reading these forums that the Charleston area was an earthquake hotspot)

Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,353,970 times
The big difference between Chapel Hill and Charleston will be the Humidity, the heat index here is suppose to be near 115......

Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 AM

859 posts, read 1,365,225 times
I don't think you can compare daytime highs between cities to get an accurate idea of summer heat in Charleston. You may get similar daytime 'highs' in lots of different cities - but - look at the lows. There are times when it only goes DOWN to 85 degrees at night in Charleston during the hottest part of the summer. And Charleston heats up faster in the morning; we may reach 85 by 8 a.m.

Having said that, you do get used to it, though. You adjust your lifestyle to do outdoor activities in the early morning or early evening, and get used to glasses fogging up and getting soaking wet as soon as you step out the door.

But - spring and fall and even winter are absolutely wonderful here, so I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,685,516 times
You do not have to shovel the heat......LOL

Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
You do not have to shovel the heat......LOL
And you're not going to fall and break your hip on the heat, either. As I get older, each fall on the winter's ice takes on more significance ... one of the reasons I'm not so keen any more on moving to Charlottesville VA where I used to live ... lots of hills and major ice storms all winter long.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,079,765 times
On Mount Pleasant there is often a coastal breeze that helps with the heat. It was gorgeous at the beach last night for a quick walk on the beach

Old 07-11-2011, 11:52 AM

482 posts, read 846,959 times
I haven't smelled that paper mill that much lately. Wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area