Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 13,100 times

Advertisements

I'm a single professional in my early 30's and thinking about relocating to Charleston in about a year. I have lived in many places due to my job -from cities to sleepy college towns and can adapt well. Have heard glowing reviews of Charleston and know I would love the climate. My industry is strong there (I am very lucky, I know .

My big question: am I crazy to move there as a single lady in her 30's? I will know a few people in the area, but they are professional/work acquaintances...so I will have to start from scratch for a real social network.

With regards to what I am looking for socially: I still go out often, though no longer into the 2-3 a.m. bar scene. Looking for something more "adult" but not home by 10 either! Culture, food, etc. I've heard is available and great. My big question mark is will I have a crowd to enjoy it with...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,090 times
lots of culture and food here......

You may want to read this thread though......

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...harleston.html

Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the link! I tried some searching but did not attempt "datable" ha!

The dating thing is somewhat secondary anyway, obviously I would love to not be single forever...but it may be just a temporary 1 year move anyway. More interested in seeing if there is a similar contingent of people my age, etc. While I adore all my married with children friends, I want to make sure I can find "single" people available for going out/outdoors activities, etc.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:31 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Yeah, there are plenty. My wife and I are about the same age (one early 30s / the other isn't / no kids) and there are a lot of people about where are in life here.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
I have a male friend here in Charleston. 47, good job, light social drinker (beer, wine), no drugs, owns his own home, polite, friendly, does not hold grudges, divorced/single for 15 years, and has no interest in having/raising children.

Over the years, I have met a few of his lady friends ranging from 35ish to 50ish. At first they seem nice but after awhile they all seem to have some issues. Most soon start in on putting down their prior hubby or men friends. Many seem to live in the past. In general it seems they do not trust men. Many of them are on some kind of anxiety, whatever prescription drug(s). Seems their agenda is never marry or marry quick. He is not opposed to marriage. He says many have lists of "things/ways" they want it. He says the under 40 women have less issues but many have no more then a casual interest in him as he does not want children. He says the 40 to 50 year old women are the ones with the issues.

The older they get, when they say thay have never been married the first thing he thinks is if they are sane/good/etc. why have they not been married at least once.

I am simply presenting his experience/point of view. I cannot and will not defend it. Take it for what it is worth.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 07-13-2011 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 01:50 PM

accufitgolf: that is an interesting point of view your friend has; I'm sure there are a lot of truths in there - and of course there are always exceptions.

For me, I'm a physician and have spent so many years in training (amazing how the 20s disappear while you're in the hospital/library/clinic), then moving every 3-4 years that it has been hard on the relationship aspect. Long-distance, particularly given my lifestyle, has proven impossible twice now. I'm very fortunate to have had very good past relationships, which all helped to form the person I am today. I'm sad that your friend has had so many bad experiences.

Glad to know there is plenty to do in Charleston! It is definitely on the short-list. Also, sounds like a good place to stick around for awhile if that is what I decide. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area