Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:48 AM

50 posts, read 93,357 times

Advertisements

I'm in VA until November... but can't WAIT to come back to Trader Joe's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:01 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,369 times
We have a new one in Greenville fairly close to Whole Foods. It must be part of their business model to locate near to WF....same demographic, maybe. I like TJ but DH says it is a waste of time. TJs has an interesting and affordable wine selection, surprisingly good frozen entrees and some cheeses I enjoy. TJs is less expensive than WF but it is not a one-stop shopping experience. For us, TJs has cannabalized a small portion of our monthly grocery shopping budget. It's WF or Fresh Market for good beef/meats and special cheeses (once a month); Farmers' markets for fresh produce and seafood (weekly); Aldi for pasta, some wine and a few staples (2x monthly) and Costco/Food Lion for remaining stuff. There is a thread on the Greenville SC forum about favorite TJs products people have found...you may want to check it out.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:15 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,404 times
It's been so long, but I do remember some pretty decent frozen entree items, very, very reasonably priced olive oil, and just overall 'neat' things not found elsewhere.

I don't think they'll put WF out of business, but will offer some very price competitive alternatives for some items.

I just realized their opening day is payday - oh, dear!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobe1234 View Post
I wonder how this is going to affect Whole Food's business. From what I remember of my experience w/ Trader Joe's in California, the prices tend to be lower than WF.
Trader Joes isn't as stringent as Whole Foods is regarding purity of the products they carry. They also don't have anywhere close to the array of organic produce that Whole Foods does. There is also no prepared food section.

You really have to read labels. If you do, you can find a lot of what Whole Foods carries or the equivalent for about 30% less than what Whole Foods charges.

I've found the best place to save is in the frozen food section.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:37 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Emily,

There is a video in this thread you may want to watch...... If you haven't seen it.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...l#post20132036

Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 AM

36 posts, read 74,398 times
My favorite things at Trader Joe's (mind you, the last I've been was >10 years ago):
-wine (I remember picking up a great bottle for only 3 dollars!)
-frozen vacuum packed salmon (already seasoned--just pop it in the oven and you've got a gourmet meal in 30 mins!)

Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
For wine I like World Market, Totally Wine and Accent on Wine....

Old 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
We also like World Market for wine......a very interesting selection.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Emily,

There is a video in this thread you may want to watch...... If you haven't seen it.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...l#post20132036
I know about the frozen Chinese Vegatables. I first found out about it on their website. Its old news. They were doing in a few years ago for a short while, I think, until they were called out on it. I don't think they are now but even if they were, the Chinese are a lot healthier than we are. I'm sure the food is just as pure if not MORE pure than what you can get here -- especially after the Fukishima Fallout in the jet stream. I really wonder about buying apples from Washington State or anything from California -organic or not.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:24 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I know about the frozen Chinese Vegatables. I first found out about it on their website. Its old news. They were doing in a few years ago for a short while, I think, until they were called out on it. I don't think they are now but even if they were, the Chinese are a lot healthier than we are. I'm sure the food is just as pure if not MORE pure than what you can get here -- especially after the Fukishima Fallout in the jet stream. I really wonder about buying apples from Washington State or anything from California -organic or not.

Surely you are joking.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area