Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:54 PM

49 posts, read 101,229 times

Advertisements

I am looking for suggestions on what to do about the first day of school in this situation. Long story short, after having our house on the market for 6 months in NJ, we have a possibility of an offer coming in this week. We have 3 elementary school-aged children, and as with many parents, our desire was to sell and move in the summer so that the kids could start school in Charleston. We obviously want the transition to be as easy as possible for the kids, and I felt that it would be ideal for the kids to not have to move during the school year. The school year up here starts after Labor day, but down there we are looking at mid-august. So wishful thinking about this offer coming in this week, but even so, obviously the closing would not happen before the school year starts down there. After much exploration and many visits after I graduated from C of C, we are pretty set on moving to Daniel Island. We were most likely planning on starting out in a rental to be sure of the area. So what should I do about the kids and school? If we get a contract through attorney review, should we try to rent before August 16th so that the kids can start school down there? Then we can just come back up to do the closing...Has anyone been in this situation before? Any recommendations? Of course it had to be this way...waiting, waiting...and now rush and move in 3 weeks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Start packing.....

Either it is rent up there or rent down here, either way you are moving and renting if you sell the house this month, so why not move down here and only have to do it once...

Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 PM

831 posts, read 1,584,052 times
I would home school them for a little while. After the move get them enrolled either at the end of the nine weeks or at the end of the 1st semester.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,962,514 times
I would go ahead and move. If you were buying down here, my adivce would be the opposite, but since you're renting it's a good idea to go ahead and make the transition.

I would also offer some layman's adivse on your home in NJ. Price it right and get it sold.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,122,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmoresun View Post
I am looking for suggestions on what to do about the first day of school in this situation. Long story short, after having our house on the market for 6 months in NJ, we have a possibility of an offer coming in this week. We have 3 elementary school-aged children, and as with many parents, our desire was to sell and move in the summer so that the kids could start school in Charleston. We obviously want the transition to be as easy as possible for the kids, and I felt that it would be ideal for the kids to not have to move during the school year. The school year up here starts after Labor day, but down there we are looking at mid-august. So wishful thinking about this offer coming in this week, but even so, obviously the closing would not happen before the school year starts down there. After much exploration and many visits after I graduated from C of C, we are pretty set on moving to Daniel Island. We were most likely planning on starting out in a rental to be sure of the area. So what should I do about the kids and school? If we get a contract through attorney review, should we try to rent before August 16th so that the kids can start school down there? Then we can just come back up to do the closing...Has anyone been in this situation before? Any recommendations? Of course it had to be this way...waiting, waiting...and now rush and move in 3 weeks!!
What happens if it takes another year to sell your home?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:10 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,023,060 times
Don't even think about moving until the contract is ratified, and even then, take precautions regarding entering into leases or the like unless you can carry your mortgage and your lease for awhile until the home does actually close. You haven't even received the offer yet, worry about that first. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,122,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Don't even think about moving until the contract is ratified, and even then, take precautions regarding entering into leases or the like unless you can carry your mortgage and your lease for awhile until the home does actually close. You haven't even received the offer yet, worry about that first. Good luck!
This is what I'm thinking. The stress of two mortgages (or the first mortgage and a lease) could really turn the move into a bad experience. Also the physical stress of owning a home in another state can pile on.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:37 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,679,579 times
I agree with the posters who have suggested you wait. Unless you can afford to pay rent here and carry your mortgage for a period of time it's just too risky to move. A lot of things can happen to a real estate deal between contract and closing. If you can afford rent plus your mortgage then that's a different story. Either way, best of luck!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,449,029 times
We were in this situation last fall (minus the school issue...). I understand your concern (believe me, I do!!), but you're putting the old cart before the horse. Get the offer first....that could fall through for a number of reasons. (Hopefully not....keeping fingers crossed!!) Also, I agree with those who said you should make sure that you can afford your rent down here AND your mortgage there. We paid rent here and a mortgage out of state for 6 months. Also wait until your house contract is solid....seller's financing obtained, house inspection done. Sale contracts can also fall through for a number of reasons. We once had a real estate deal fall through **one week before closing**!! Wishing you the best!!!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,675,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmoresun View Post
While kids being there for the first day of school is nice, I do not think it is critical enough to place yourself in economic jeopardy. A sale never "finishes" until you have the check cashed.....LOL

Kids adjust remarkably well. Quite often better then we give them credit for especially elementary meaning no love interests (young love, first love..I hear a song here), not on sports teams, etc. Their parents are their lives. They see happy parents, they are happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: