Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:56 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,369 times

Advertisements

The rental market is very hot right now. You can practically name your price (within reason for a nice home). If you're planning on purchasing now and renting for a period of time, now may be a really good time to do that. I too believe our home prices are pretty much flat lined in the low to mid price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:30 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,817 times
I think it's a great time to purchase if you get into an already foreclosed home in good condition, and/or have the patience for a short sale transaction - the are getting fewer and fewer in Mtp to come by, so they move very quickly. If you start now to get a good feel for the pricing of resales, then you will recognize the "deal" when it hits the market and be ready to move on it - some of them go to multiple bids, but usually the selling agent submits the first offer and wants to wrap it up asap with the bank, as does the bank want to wrap it up - so preparedness is key, and you can get a great investment. If you are looking to purchase, and you have to do FHA, I encourage you to get out there this weekend and find a place! it's possible that fha will go up to 20% downpayment (from 3.5%) and also it's possible that if there is a gov shutdown that you will not get any FHA financing at all due to the inability to obtain a case number - it's getting crazy!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:56 AM

486 posts, read 997,024 times
Thanks for all the replys, these posts are always so helpful and appreciated!

I've been watching the market now for the last few years. I think it will either stay flat or drop more. Recently though, I have been seeing bigger houses in nicer neighborhods on nice lots, ponds etc. at lower prices, which of course has made me way more picky.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:10 PM

435 posts, read 835,341 times
If you are using FHA at 3.5%, my recommendation is not to buy a house. You are not ready.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I'm with JimmyCH -- 3.5% has you underwater the day you move in in most real estate climates and especially now.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:18 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Read CRASH PROOF by Peter Schiff.

If interest rates rise which they eventually will have to, Home prices will have to fall further as buyers won't be able to borrow as much as they can now.

Right now the real estate market continues to be propped up by the Federal Reserve Bank. If interest rates were allowed to go up to where they should be (around 6 percent) home prices would come down further.

Part of the reason our economy is so screwed up is due to the interference by the Federal Reserve Bank by keeping interest rates so low. There is no incentive to save money as there should be and always is in a healthy economy. Rather it is all about borrowing and spending which caused all the bubbles to begin with. Ben Bernanke wants to reinflate the bubble but it hasn't been working AT ALL.

Peter Schiff says that when prices come down to where they were in the 1990s we will have bottomed out. He thinks some areas have bottomed but others still have a ways to go. Here's a recent article he wrote on the subject. http://peterschiffblog.com/housing-p...ficially-high/

Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 AM

486 posts, read 997,024 times
Thanks for the link, it is in interesting article.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 AM

764 posts, read 1,598,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCiucci View Post
Don't only look at home values as being the 'bottom'. Also take into account interest rates. For example:

- A $200,000 loan amount at 4.5% for a 30 year fixed mortgage has a principle and interest payment of $1,013.37 for a total of $164,813.83 in interest over the life of the loan.

- A $180,000 loan amount at 5.5% for a 30 year fixed mortgage has a principle and interest payment of $1,022.02 for a total of $187,927.28 in interest over the life of the loan.

So even if a house that is 200K now falls to 180K in the future- you could have the same monthly payment (plus end up paying almost $25,000 more in interest over the live of the loan) if the rates go up 1 percent. So in the example above, the person would have been better off buying at 200K. I'm just saying to look at rates, too. They might just go up before you know it.

Better off? Huh??

What happened to the $20K you saved off the purchase price with a higher rate?

What about time value of money if you invest the $20K savings assuming you had it available? Using a nominal rate of 5%, compounded daily, a $20K left in an investment to grow is worth about $90K....

And if rates go up, even better for my savings.....

And what about the mortgage interest deduction?

One is NOT better off buying at $200K...not by a longshot....

Old 08-02-2011, 08:22 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
I wouldn't count on the mortgage interest deduction much longer....

Old 08-02-2011, 05:00 PM

4 posts, read 5,864 times
The best time to buy in Charleston is always the winter. There are fewer buyers and sellers get antsy. According to some stats I saw today, the official 'bottom' as far as activity levels go (meaning people buying) was January 2009. Prices will probably go down a little bit more because foreclosures of owner-occupied homes are about to increase again after a dry spell. There are some neighborhoods and price ranges though that are already in somewhat short supply. It just depends on where you are looking! Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area