Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:31 AM

65 posts, read 174,426 times

Advertisements

We are coming down to Charleston in two weeks (very excited!!) and I'm a little concerned about the heat indexes there. We are in Ohio and it's been ridiculously hot here too, but we don't have the high heat indexes like you all do.

My question is this... as long as we have our beach umbrella, plenty of water and suncreen, we will be fine staying at the beach all day, right? Or do people stay indoors in general during this time of year? I'd hate to get down there and it be too hot to even visit the beach!

Silly question, I know! Just looking for a little insight from the locals. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,039,258 times
At the beach all day? I'd recommend going off the beach for a bit, especially during the 12-3 timeframe. It's going to be hot, there's no getting around that. And take flip-flops, because the sand is going to be molten higher up towards the dunes. If you've got umbrellas, plenty of food ad fluids, you'll be fine. Most likely you'll have some nice ocean breezes too, and they're a Godsend down here.

ALSO, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE YOUR DOGS ONTO THE BEACH!! NOTHING ANGERS ME MORE THAN SEEING DOGS ON THE BEACH IN AUGUST. ITS TOO HOT FOR THEM!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:11 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,189,842 times
I've been avoiding the beach during the hot time of the day and bringing the kids after 4. We've done inside things....like the Aquarium. I even avoid the pool at hot peak hours. You didn't mention if you had kids but I find that I plan mostly around exposing my kids to the extreme heat and sun.

If it were just me and my husband, I'd be able to figure out a safe/enjoyable way to be down at the beach....bring lots of water/gatorade, an umbrella, sunscreen, and snacks that are decent to eat in the heat. Also drink when you aren't even feeling hot or thirsty. My kids being in the water makes them feel like they are sweating and overheating but they still may be. We drink a large glass of water before we leave the house.

Enjoy your vacation.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 AM

It's just me and my husband, no kids, and we aren't bringing our dog with us. I am on medication that makes me sensitive to heat and for the last few years I've had to find ways to deal with the summer months. I have found that as long as my head and face are covered, I avoid sunburn, and drinks tons of water that it helps a lot. We are planning to do the carriage tours and other sighteeing in the early mornings. It's probably best for us to find indoor activities during the peak hours of the day. Even up here in 88 degree heat, I can't be outside for more than about 30 minutes at a time if I'm not in the shade or A/C!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:40 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,039,258 times
Probably best for you to stick to going to the beach early in the morning and then later in the afternoon evenings. The heat index jumps to well over 100 by noon most days, and stays there until later afternoon/early evening. -IF- I go to the beach in August, I'm there at 8am, and usually gone by 11-12. You actually avoid most of the crowds, most of the traffic, and most of the uncomfortable heat that way. Plus, you can always head back ot the beach around 4 or 5pm and still have plenty of hours of sunshine.

Last edited by DJShymansky; 08-09-2011 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: I can't spell today...someone switched my coffee to decaf!!!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,444,869 times
We just came back from a visit in Ohio( Youngstown area) and I was shocked it was so hot. and there was nothing to do in the heat. Here we have water parks, the beach, pools. The beach is usually 10 degrees cooler and breezier than inland.

Drink lots of water. Take breaks and hopefully it will cool down before you visit.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:44 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,605,270 times
We go to the beach every weekend and there is usually some sort of breeze. Although last Sunday the breeze was not there. We usually set up the umbrella and then I head right for the water. I stay in until I wrinkle and then head right back in a few minutes later! We get to the beach around 2 - 3 pm and don't really have too much of an issue with the heat. Yes, it is extremely hot and humid, but I don't find it unbearable. I just moved here earlier this year from the north, so the heat is welcoming to me. I'm sure next year I will feel different!

Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
We just came back from a visit in Ohio( Youngstown area) and I was shocked it was so hot. and there was nothing to do in the heat. Here we have water parks, the beach, pools. The beach is usually 10 degrees cooler and breezier than inland.

Drink lots of water. Take breaks and hopefully it will cool down before you visit.
Oh yes, it has been MISERABLE here!! I am a preschool teacher and we have regulations on when we are allowed to have the kids outside, and for two weeks straight we had to stay indoors because of the heat. We had a "cold front" come through on Sunday. It went from 99 to 89. LOL cold front my foot...

Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,702,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle78 View Post
We are coming down to Charleston in two weeks (very excited!!) and I'm a little concerned about the heat indexes there. We are in Ohio and it's been ridiculously hot here too, but we don't have the high heat indexes like you all do.

My question is this... as long as we have our beach umbrella, plenty of water and suncreen, we will be fine staying at the beach all day, right? Or do people stay indoors in general during this time of year? I'd hate to get down there and it be too hot to even visit the beach!

Silly question, I know! Just looking for a little insight from the locals. Thanks!
The heat will make you do stupid things....like drink Sweet Tea...so when that hits you....order Gin and Tonic and all will be fine...LOL

Additionally Charlestonian Ladies do not swaet....they glisten......

Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,963,793 times
Agree. We have a thread discussing the heat index and hot temps we are now having.....today the heat index is to be 120 or so....

I go to the beach in the am and get back inside prior to 1pm or so and there is usually a breeze so it is pleasant. Those very young folks and older must be particularly protected. Water yes, and even Gatorade and such, as that last product has needed electrolytes that are diluted in the body when drinking copious amts of water.

So YES come and have fun....just be aware. We have had heat alerts from NOAA for 7 days in a row now.

I am sorta into weather info for some reason....hence my interest. Also saw that eating meat and other proteins during the day increases the metabolic heat/temp in the body...so maybe fruit and yogurts and cold veggies might help....

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Probably best for you to stick to going to the beach early in the morning and then later in the afternoon evenings. The heat index jumps to well over 100 by noon most days, and stays there until later afternoon/early evening. -IF- I go to the beach in August, I'm there at 8am, and usually gone by 11-12. You actually avoid most of the crowds, most of the traffic, and most of the uncomfortable heat that way. Plus, you can always head back ot the beach around 4 or 5pm and still have plenty of hours of sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area